Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Adjusting idle speed on a 1999 c2

 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 AM
  #1  
Bretech
User
Thread Starter
 
Bretech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: right near the beach, So Cal
Posts: 151
Default Adjusting idle speed on a 1999 c2

I wanna kick up the idle to 800rpm in my c2. Anybody know how to increase the idle speed on a drive by cable system?
Bretech is offline  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 AM
  #2  
logray
User
 
logray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,849
Default

Sorry, unless you are into hacking your DME (a custom program would be very expensive), there is not a way to do this.

You can turn on your A/C and it will have roughly the affect you are after.
logray is offline  
Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 AM
  #3  
Bretech
User
Thread Starter
 
Bretech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: right near the beach, So Cal
Posts: 151
Default

How about mechanically? Can opening the throttle up a bit do it? It is cable driven, and not egas.
Bretech is offline  
Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
  #4  
logray
User
 
logray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,849
Default

I would not mess with the throttle plate adjustment.

On the cable drive, the idle speed is controlled by the idle air control valve, engine timing, and engine computer. Not the throttle plate angle like how it is with egas.

Just curious why you would want to raise the idle speed?
logray is offline  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
  #5  
Bretech
User
Thread Starter
 
Bretech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: right near the beach, So Cal
Posts: 151
Default

I think it would make 1st gear take offs a bit more natural. whenever I drive off after a cold start, the clutch engages nicely everytime since the idle is a bit higher. Once warm, I have to be really conscious of when to gas it without burning out my clutch. Im gonna clean the tb and maf this weekend to see if I can get results. Ive added a clutch stop, and things have improved, but im still not as crisp. one of my symptoms is that the car sometimes feels like its gonna fall on its face or gasps for air if I reverse slowly or creep into a parking space. Take offs at stops can sometimes be a bit tricky if I dont get the revs and clutch engagement right. Perhaps cleaning the maf will help.
Bretech is offline  
Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM
  #6  
Bretech
User
Thread Starter
 
Bretech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: right near the beach, So Cal
Posts: 151
Default

Not to mention, I should do the icv also. Is it accesible in a 996? I had an e36 and it was under the manifold so it was hard to get to.
Bretech is offline  
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM
  #7  
pmkazz
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
pmkazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 627
Default

Originally Posted by Bretech View Post
I think it would make 1st gear take offs a bit more natural. whenever I drive off after a cold start, the clutch engages nicely everytime since the idle is a bit higher. Once warm, I have to be really conscious of when to gas it without burning out my clutch. Im gonna clean the tb and maf this weekend to see if I can get results. Ive added a clutch stop, and things have improved, but im still not as crisp. one of my symptoms is that the car sometimes feels like its gonna fall on its face or gasps for air if I reverse slowly or creep into a parking space. Take offs at stops can sometimes be a bit tricky if I dont get the revs and clutch engagement right. Perhaps cleaning the maf will help.
Just the way it is on the 3.4L. The 3.6L has a little more torque at the low-end and 1st gear start-off is not a problem.
pmkazz is offline  
Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
  #8  
Bretech
User
Thread Starter
 
Bretech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: right near the beach, So Cal
Posts: 151
Default

Originally Posted by pmkazz View Post
Just the way it is on the 3.4L. The 3.6L has a little more torque at the low-end and 1st gear start-off is not a problem.
Seems to easy to just accept that. I have to find a way.
Bretech is offline  
Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
  #9  
fpb111
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
fpb111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 5,292
Default

fpb111 is online now  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM
  #10  
Bretech
User
Thread Starter
 
Bretech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: right near the beach, So Cal
Posts: 151
Default

Originally Posted by fpb111 View Post
Yup, ive improved things in that department, I just dont wanna rev to 1500rpm at every stop. cant believe how porsche seems to have some sort of comprimise for me with every pcar theyve made. Ill find a way
Bretech is offline  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
  #11  
logray
User
 
logray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,849
Default

Increase the displacement.
logray is offline  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
  #12  
Bretech
User
Thread Starter
 
Bretech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: right near the beach, So Cal
Posts: 151
Default

Originally Posted by logray View Post
Increase the displacement.
Ok thanks! I bought some tools at pepboys that should allow me to increase displacement by several inches. Might drop in some chinese made pistons to fill the cylinders. I also bought from them a taiwanese aluminum wing that should help stabilize the car from all the power ill b making.
Bretech is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 AM
  #13  
Hurdigurdiman
Super User
 
Hurdigurdiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ephrata, PA, USA now. Originally from the UK
Posts: 3,072
Default

How come I have a 996 and have no problem taking off from a standing start? Have you been tampering with that clutch assisting spring and removing it? Or is it that some American drivers who probably learned to drive on an automatic car never drove a stick shift until they drove a Porche and are maybe not giving the engine the correct level of revs on take off. When was the last time the air filter was changed? I just don't get it. I saw a thread where lots of guys were removing a spring from under the dash which was used in making the clutch pedal easier to depress because they were all having the same trouble. Stalling the car on take off. They seem to know more than the Porsche Designers. Christ Almighty you are doing my head in.
Hurdigurdiman is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 AM
  #14  
Bretech
User
Thread Starter
 
Bretech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: right near the beach, So Cal
Posts: 151
Default

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman View Post
How come I have a 996 and have no problem taking off from a standing start? Have you been tampering with that clutch assisting spring and removing it? Or is it that some American drivers who probably learned to drive on an automatic car never drove a stick shift until they drove a Porche and are maybe not giving the engine the correct level of revs on take off. When was the last time the air filter was changed? I just don't get it. I saw a thread where lots of guys were removing a spring from under the dash which was used in making the clutch pedal easier to depress because they were all having the same trouble. Stalling the car on take off. They seem to know more than the Porsche Designers. Christ Almighty you are doing my head in.
Dont judge mate. Every 996 and 986 ive driven has this issue. I resolved my problem by removing the ziptie from the plunger switch on the clutch. Now she revs nicely into a takeoff. Those porsche engineers managed to screw many engines so dont hold them in a high place. I drive 944 cup cars, I have 2 sc pcars and ive been driving manual since the 80s. Your novice comment is simply rubbish. Good day.
Bretech is offline  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:51 PM
  #15  
Shark Attack
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Shark Attack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North West PA USA
Posts: 10,865
Default

Cant hurt to try a manual adjustment. I think it has a stop screw???

You can always put it back. I cant see why it wouldnt work.

If not stop screw im sure it wouldnt be too hard to fab something up as simple as a shim or as nice as a stop screw
Shark Attack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusting idle speed on a 1999 c2


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: