Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Adjusting idle speed on a 1999 c2 (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/690470-adjusting-idle-speed-on-a-1999-c2.html)

Bretech 04-10-2012 03:57 AM

Adjusting idle speed on a 1999 c2

I wanna kick up the idle to 800rpm in my c2. Anybody know how to increase the idle speed on a drive by cable system?

logray 04-10-2012 06:28 AM

Sorry, unless you are into hacking your DME (a custom program would be very expensive), there is not a way to do this.

You can turn on your A/C and it will have roughly the affect you are after.

Bretech 04-11-2012 11:58 AM

How about mechanically? Can opening the throttle up a bit do it? It is cable driven, and not egas.

logray 04-11-2012 12:26 PM

I would not mess with the throttle plate adjustment.

On the cable drive, the idle speed is controlled by the idle air control valve, engine timing, and engine computer. Not the throttle plate angle like how it is with egas.

Just curious why you would want to raise the idle speed?

Bretech 04-11-2012 02:35 PM

I think it would make 1st gear take offs a bit more natural. whenever I drive off after a cold start, the clutch engages nicely everytime since the idle is a bit higher. Once warm, I have to be really conscious of when to gas it without burning out my clutch. Im gonna clean the tb and maf this weekend to see if I can get results. Ive added a clutch stop, and things have improved, but im still not as crisp. one of my symptoms is that the car sometimes feels like its gonna fall on its face or gasps for air if I reverse slowly or creep into a parking space. Take offs at stops can sometimes be a bit tricky if I dont get the revs and clutch engagement right. Perhaps cleaning the maf will help.

Bretech 04-11-2012 02:38 PM

Not to mention, I should do the icv also. Is it accesible in a 996? I had an e36 and it was under the manifold so it was hard to get to.

pmkazz 04-11-2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bretech (Post 9436846)
I think it would make 1st gear take offs a bit more natural. whenever I drive off after a cold start, the clutch engages nicely everytime since the idle is a bit higher. Once warm, I have to be really conscious of when to gas it without burning out my clutch. Im gonna clean the tb and maf this weekend to see if I can get results. Ive added a clutch stop, and things have improved, but im still not as crisp. one of my symptoms is that the car sometimes feels like its gonna fall on its face or gasps for air if I reverse slowly or creep into a parking space. Take offs at stops can sometimes be a bit tricky if I dont get the revs and clutch engagement right. Perhaps cleaning the maf will help.

Just the way it is on the 3.4L. The 3.6L has a little more torque at the low-end and 1st gear start-off is not a problem.

Bretech 04-11-2012 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by pmkazz (Post 9436946)
Just the way it is on the 3.4L. The 3.6L has a little more torque at the low-end and 1st gear start-off is not a problem.

Seems to easy to just accept that. I have to find a way.

fpb111 04-11-2012 10:15 PM

Did you try the clutch helper spring thing?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...matically.html

Nevermind
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-q-though.html

Bretech 04-12-2012 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by fpb111 (Post 9438382)

Yup, ive improved things in that department, I just dont wanna rev to 1500rpm at every stop. cant believe how porsche seems to have some sort of comprimise for me with every pcar theyve made. Ill find a way

logray 04-12-2012 01:19 PM

Increase the displacement. ;)

Bretech 04-14-2012 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by logray (Post 9439879)
Increase the displacement. ;)

Ok thanks! I bought some tools at pepboys that should allow me to increase displacement by several inches. Might drop in some chinese made pistons to fill the cylinders. I also bought from them a taiwanese aluminum wing that should help stabilize the car from all the power ill b making.:thumbsup:

Hurdigurdiman 04-15-2012 12:06 AM

How come I have a 996 and have no problem taking off from a standing start? Have you been tampering with that clutch assisting spring and removing it? Or is it that some American drivers who probably learned to drive on an automatic car never drove a stick shift until they drove a Porche and are maybe not giving the engine the correct level of revs on take off. When was the last time the air filter was changed? I just don't get it. I saw a thread where lots of guys were removing a spring from under the dash which was used in making the clutch pedal easier to depress because they were all having the same trouble. Stalling the car on take off. They seem to know more than the Porsche Designers. Christ Almighty you are doing my head in.:soapbox::banghead:

Bretech 04-15-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman (Post 9446234)
How come I have a 996 and have no problem taking off from a standing start? Have you been tampering with that clutch assisting spring and removing it? Or is it that some American drivers who probably learned to drive on an automatic car never drove a stick shift until they drove a Porche and are maybe not giving the engine the correct level of revs on take off. When was the last time the air filter was changed? I just don't get it. I saw a thread where lots of guys were removing a spring from under the dash which was used in making the clutch pedal easier to depress because they were all having the same trouble. Stalling the car on take off. They seem to know more than the Porsche Designers. Christ Almighty you are doing my head in.:soapbox::banghead:

Dont judge mate. Every 996 and 986 ive driven has this issue. I resolved my problem by removing the ziptie from the plunger switch on the clutch. Now she revs nicely into a takeoff. Those porsche engineers managed to screw many engines so dont hold them in a high place. I drive 944 cup cars, I have 2 sc pcars and ive been driving manual since the 80s. Your novice comment is simply rubbish. Good day.

Shark Attack 04-15-2012 02:51 PM

Cant hurt to try a manual adjustment. I think it has a stop screw???

You can always put it back. I cant see why it wouldnt work.

If not stop screw im sure it wouldnt be too hard to fab something up as simple as a shim or as nice as a stop screw