996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSE ( Porsche Sport Exhaust) 996

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Trojan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent information ... I LOVE this forum! I'm going to have to do this mod in the next couple weeks.

I was reading through the post (and links) wondering why the PSE would be turned off through a specific speed range. Am I correct in reading that it is because of the noise restrictions in parts of Europe? If I want it ON it should be ON!

This also explains why I haven't really been able to tell a difference when testing the switch as I've generally been trying in 2nd gear ... I see the light!

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this mod tonight. Took ten minutes. What an incredible difference. PSE mute button still works. I came up with about 15 errands so I could appreciate the change, over and over, and over...
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

OMG! I was SO PISSED that it was quiet... like wtf!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

can someone PLEASE tell me step by step how to do the speedo mod? and i am asking step by step cause i know NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING about cars. I have no idea what an alternator is, where a radiator is, NOTHING!. please dont laugh haha, all my time and energy were put into medicine + women, so i can diagnose you and tell you were the "g spot" is but ask me where the radiator is, and i'm like uhhhhhhhh.... the only thing i know how to do is take off and put back on the battery.

edit: pretty pretty pretty PLEASE tell me i would love to hear it in every gear and rpm ... and feel free to shoot some medical questions to my PM box if you'd like haha
Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
jfintexas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SubzeroX

can someone PLEASE tell me step by step how to do the speedo mod? and i am asking step by step cause i know NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING about cars. I have no idea what an alternator is, where a radiator is, NOTHING!. please dont laugh haha, all my time and energy were put into medicine + women, so i can diagnose you and tell you were the "g spot" is but ask me where the radiator is, and i'm like uhhhhhhhh.... the only thing i know how to do is take off and put back on the battery.

edit: pretty pretty pretty PLEASE tell me i would love to hear it in every gear and rpm ... and feel free to shoot some medical questions to my PM box if you'd like haha
Sending PM - was crazy easy (and I am not a gearhead either).
Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX

can someone PLEASE tell me step by step how to do the speedo mod? and i am asking step by step cause i know NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING about cars. I have no idea what an alternator is, where a radiator is, NOTHING!. please dont laugh haha, all my time and energy were put into medicine + women, so i can diagnose you and tell you where the "g spot" is but ask me where the radiator is, and i'm like uhhhhhhhh.... the only thing i know how to do is take off and put back on the battery.

So...we're ready to find out what you know...
Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

silly rabbit, everyone knows :P its 1/3 of the way into the vaginal canal on the top wall. palm up, you make a come hither motion and BOOM
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Eric Killorin
2nd Gear

Is it possible to install a PSE to a non-equipped 996?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:18 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Killorin
Is it possible to install a PSE to a non-equipped 996?
Yes - but for the cost there are several aftermarket solutions that are just as effective.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Eric Killorin
2nd Gear

Good to know. Is it possible to control muffled/unmuffled modes in the same fashion with interior switch? Any product links appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Killorin
Any product links appreciated. Thanks
Sound Valve mufflers

http://speedtechexhausts.com/ast1_-_network_solutions_1_010.htm
Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 PM
dvs3.6
Advanced

Just did this simple mod, what a difference! why i never came across this thread before? a must if you have the PSE!
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Net_fix
8th Gear

hi
i own a 996c4 cab since new with 90kmls and she has a lot of equipment, including pse.
i just unplug the brown conector in the right side of the motor, and it seems to me that it is always open. is there any down side on doing just this?
my vin number is

WP0ZZZ99Z2S644221

if some expert can give me a tip i would appreciate

thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 10:51 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Net_fix
hi
i own a 996c4 cab since new with 90kmls and she has a lot of equipment, including pse.
i just unplug the brown conector in the right side of the motor, and it seems to me that it is always open. is there any down side on doing just this?
my vin number is

WP0ZZZ99Z2S644221

if some expert can give me a tip i would appreciate

thanks
No downsides in just unplugging connector if you want it loud all the time.

Edit: There could be a downside if you're living in a corrosion area and do not actually actuate the valves from time to time. This could seize them and render it useless down the line. I would periodically lube and actuate the valves. The vacuum solenoid however should be more durable as it's not exposed to outside elements.

Last edited by alpine003; 06-03-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:42 AM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I have just taken ownership of a friends 03 C4 with PSE. It has tons of miles (223k) and along with rattling, the PSE cannot be switched back and forth.
It starts in sport mode, if I switch to quite it will not switch back. Has anyone come across this?
I like the idea of opening up the cans to fix the baffles... Is this really a workable fix and realitively cheap?
Old 07-02-2016, 09:38 AM
nemo9xx
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ponchobroke
I have just taken ownership of a friends 03 C4 with PSE. It has tons of miles (223k) and along with rattling, the PSE cannot be switched back and forth.
It starts in sport mode, if I switch to quite it will not switch back. Has anyone come across this?
I like the idea of opening up the cans to fix the baffles... Is this really a workable fix and realitively cheap?
3 thing , vaccum leak, defective relay or actuator seized. actuator are easy to change, you can order it from Porsche. Best thing to verify is remove bumper and veiify If the actuator move when you push the rod, you can try to move it with bumper on car not as easy but be sure car was cold. Vaccum can be verify by disconnecting steinless steel vaccum hose from engine bay. (Near oxygen sensor harness, air filter box). If you can switch once and after nothing verify vaccum first. You probably have leak or a defective vaccum reservoir. I didn't remember where are the small reservoir.

Quick Reply: PSE ( Porsche Sport Exhaust) 996