Sponsored by:

opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robo_porsche
Hmmm, maybe buying a Porsche without tracking it screams insecurity too? Why would you need all that performance otherwise?

I don't think there is anything bad with having a nice looking car. Personally I like the aero kit on the Carrera.

Robert
Really? Wow.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey356
Really? Wow.
Yes, really. You cannot legally use even a small fraction of the capability of a Porsche on the road, so why would you buy one if you were not putting it on the track? If that doesn't scream of posing and insecurity, what does?

I personally don't put my car on the track, so conclude what you will.

In all seriousness, I installed the aero kit for 3 simple reasons. i) It is a performance aid at high speeds. ii) it makes the car look better. iii) Aero kit cars generally command higher resale values than non-aero cars.

Three good reasons in my mind. Others may not appreciate those reasons, but they are valid and a like the look on my car, so that's all I need.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Yes, really. You cannot legally use even a small fraction of the capability of a Porsche on the road, so why would you buy one if you were not putting it on the track? If that doesn't scream of posing and insecurity, what does?

I personally don't put my car on the track, so conclude what you will.

In all seriousness, I installed the aero kit for 3 simple reasons. i) It is a performance aid at high speeds. ii) it makes the car look better. iii) Aero kit cars generally command higher resale values than non-aero cars.

Three good reasons in my mind. Others may not appreciate those reasons, but they are valid and a like the look on my car, so that's all I need.
See what I mean?

Insecurity.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are some very outstanding body kits out there If it is done tastefully, gives the car a whole new dimension
Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
For the most part, if something doesn't improve performance (without ruining the ride) -- it's largely b.s. Use the money to go to a good driving school. Take an interesting vacation. Adding a body kit is just a stupid "look at me" ploy. Screams insecurity.
Does it?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

For the most part, if something doesn't improve performance (without ruining the ride) -- it's largely b.s. Use the money to go to a good driving school. Take an interesting vacation. Adding a body kit is just a stupid "look at me" ploy. Screams insecurity.

I personally think that your opinion has little substance to back it up and could probably point to many options in your car that fall into that category. Want to take that Pepsi challenge?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An aero kit in its very definition is for AERODYNAMICS. Therefore, unless you need more downforce, whats the purpose of putting it on other than asthectics? If you want your car to look 'cool' knock yourself out. It simply states you want a 'look' which usually means there is no substance other than looks (see definition of poser)

As for a Porsche being under utilized for everyday street use, sure, so is EVERY other car made today. They can all go faster than the legal limit so I guess all the folks driving Honda Accords and minivans bought them just be cool.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I think some kits look good. The factory Aerokit is sex on wheels.....rates up there with the RSR and the 930 IMHO.
Attached Images     
Old 04-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I think some kits look good. The factory Aerokit is sex on wheels.....rates up there with the RSR and the 930 IMHO.
Agreed. The Porsche kits are very nice and make a great looking car look even better.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 PM
996_North
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bennnz0
It's not that I wouldnt be wasting money. There's a guy selling a 996 mk1 carrera with a gt3 kit on it already. I'm kinda skeptical on it. Not sure if I should get it. That's why I ran it by you guys for opinions. The cars in great shape, decent miles and all that, just wasn't sure if the kit would consider it riced out.

Get the car with the best PPI, aero kit or not. You can swap out a deck lid any time. If the car is otherwise solid, and well maintained go fo it..IMHO
Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I like the aerokit and wish my car had one. I do think they made some subtle changes to the MKII models to make them look a bit better in stock form but the aerokit really does enhance the car's appearance in my opinion.

I don't know if I'll ever get to the point of installing one just because they are expensive and aside from looks do very little for a car like mine. If my car were a dedicated track car though it would make sense. But for a few DEs a year and given that mine is convertible I'd rather spend the money on other mods.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:17 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

As 996_North said, a PPI is most important.

I suspect that most aero kits add weight, increase drag, scrape on steep driveways, add unnecesary expense and might even make your car stand out more to the local constable. I hear some of them have the secret code stamped on the inside "EYIR."

Embrace Your Inner Ricer.

But only the best ones.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM
smokindav
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use actual race car parts, eg. front splitter, GT3 wing, then no.

Is having a body kit on a 996 carrera "ricey". I just want your opinions guys, yes or no. If you think there are some clean ones out there that look good, can you post some pics? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

As 996_North said, a PPI is most important.

I suspect that most aero kits add weight, increase drag, scrape on steep driveways, add unnecesary expense and might even make your car stand out more to the local constable. I hear some of them have the secret code stamped on the inside "EYIR."

Embrace Your Inner Ricer.

But only the best ones.
Admit it........your a ricer in disguise
Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is having a body kit on a 996 carrera "ricey". I just want your opinions guys, yes or no. If you think there are some clean ones out there that look good, can you post some pics? Thanks.
Get the car and cruise it a while then figure out what you are doing.

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Does it?

Quick Reply: opinions