Keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM
JWP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Bought car without a spare key... Any ideas on where I can purchase, besides the dealer? Approximate price?

18" BBS wheels on my 99' C4 Cab - looking for a new/replica set (5 star)
If you know of any, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you do a search? This has been beaten to death before.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
JWP
Intermediate

Default Keys +

Not a problem! Thanks for your help...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as I know only a dealer or Porsche Indy can program a key. My Indy asked me to pay for the key in advance which was understandable since they had to order it.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:24 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought my car about a year ago, it came with only one key. At that time the remote worked fine; however, several months ago, it stopped working Do they use the same battery as a watch?? BTW... I did a search and could not find the answer. I appreciate any responses
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a battery for mine at the grocery store, I don't remember the number but it was about six bucks
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

You can get the keys from many sources, dealers and others, although they must be the Porsche remote head, the blanks can be generic but you need the little pod from your old key or a blank that includes the pod. You also need the programming info so don't buy used keys.

In every case you will have to go to a dealer to have them programmed.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
When I bought my car about a year ago, it came with only one key. At that time the remote worked fine; however, several months ago, it stopped working Do they use the same battery as a watch?? BTW... I did a search and could not find the answer. I appreciate any responses
IIRC -- it has been a while -- but I think the key battery can be found in a Radio Shack store, or Wal-Mart (or any major department store or even a well-stocked hardware store) in the watch (or battery) department. Take the old battery with you because you may have to cross-reference its number to one the store has on the rack.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

JWP - Keyhead (Sunset or Suncoast) ~$129. Do not buy used or without code tag, essential for programmming. Key blank cut to digital photo: keysinthepost.com ~$20. Programming at dealer (your working key will also need to be reprogrammed into system at the same time) about ~$100. This is the least expensive way out. Or, you can just show up at the dealer, but be prepared to open your arteries.
Get the spare key; if the only one you have fails or is lost...big trouble. Check back with any more questions that come to mind. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark I
Key blank cut to digital photo: keysinthepost.com ~$20. Programming at dealer (your working key will also need to be reprogrammed into system at the same time) about ~$100.
+1 on keysinthepost.com
excellent service!

then buy a new remote and let your OPC do the programming...
And as Mark, says, don't loose the small code tag...
Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
As far as I know only a dealer or Porsche Indy can program a key. My Indy asked me to pay for the key in advance which was understandable since they had to order it.
There are DIY key programmer tool you can buy from the great land of copy cats and is suppose to work on Porsche too. Pm me for details.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dharn55
You can get the keys from many sources, dealers and others, although they must be the Porsche remote head, the blanks can be generic but you need the little pod from your old key or a blank that includes the pod. You also need the programming info so don't buy used keys.

In every case you will have to go to a dealer to have them programmed.
Can i do programing myself if I have PST 2?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

The codes have to be retrieved from Porsche North America, with a dealer login, etc. Nothing happens on the programming end without dealer involvement. Some indies can request that from the dealer, I'm told. Bear in mind that it's the car, not the key thats being programmed per the key data - the essential codes have to come from PNA that give access to your car's computer via the VIN. (I watched it all being done on my car.) If, per Alpine's suggestion, the new key could be cloned so that the car would recognize it as the original, maybe; but I'm skeptical and seems risky. My .02 is to pony up the 250 scoots & move on.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeswift
Can i do programing myself if I have PST 2?
Yes, I have done this myself, it is not terribly difficult.

You need the IPASS codes from a Porsche dealer. Proof of ownership is required, and not all dealers are open to providing them.

Secondly you NEED the 40 digit programming code that comes WITH the new transponder unit, otherwise the remote is useless.

Newer cars (997's) the programming codes are stored in Porsche's database, so technically possible to reprogram old keys.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM
JWP
Intermediate

All:

Beautiful work! "Extremely helpful" information. I'm in Maryland and will take your advise and also inquire with Porsche - some of the fellas at the dealership are solid citizens.

Thanks...

Quick Reply: Keys