Sponsored by:

Anyone commute less than 5 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by CR
Any adverse affects? I commute a whopping 3 miles one way to work. I read a little about moisture accumulating do to the engine not getting up to a good running temperature. Can this be remedied with a good drive after work on Fridays and over the weekend?

Chris
Possibly, but it depends upon the weather where you live. In the warmer months when the car gets hot enough the radiator fans come on from the coolant temp climbing to 212F probably. In the colder/wetter months, probably not. Given my experience with the central valley weather warmth in the warmer months is not in short supply. (Heck even in Livermore a few years ago it hit 107F, in June!).

Two things work against the engine getting hot.

One is the engine can take a while (10 or more minutes depending upon the ambient temp) to get up to operating temperature; and two is if you drive with the A/C on or in auto mode the radiator fans run all the time and this works to keep the coolant temperature down so the engine doesn't get as hot as it would otherwise.

The best conditions are warm days -- but not so warm you need the A/C to keep cool -- and driving in stop/go traffic during which the radiator fans come on (at 212F) then switch off (at 205F) and then a few minutes later switch on, then off again and so on. The engine coolant gets to 212F more than once and coupled with some rpms (to agitate the oil and help the oil shed its load of water and unburned gasoline) and an AOS in good working order to keep the crankcase under a lower than atmospheric pressure (which lowers the boiling point of any water/unburned gasoline in the oil) this will remove about as much water/unburned gasoline as can be removed.

The only way to remove it all is to every once in a while drain the oil and replace it with fresh oil.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a water cooled car, like 99% of the cars on the road, don't worry about it.

Oil changes every 3k will never hurt your car.

Porsche knows who drives their cars and they've designed them accordingly.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

But 99% of the cars on the road don't have 22 litres of coolant and nearly 10 litres of oil to circulate....

These are sports cars & the design brief was not to accomodate continual daily 3 mile commutes - even though they can tolerate that reasonably well.

Toyota's / Hyundai's with 6 litres of coolant and 4 litres of oil may very well manage short shopping trips on a daily basis, but I suspect the Porsche engineers had a different agenda......
Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
These are sports cars & the design brief was not to accomodate continual daily 3 mile commutes - even though they can tolerate that reasonably well..
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read about moisture buildup at oil tube fill neck. So 1 day after a short trip I pulled in the garage, removed the oil cap and sure enough there was moisture formed. Grabbed a paper towel and wiped it away. As other pcar owners have stated longer drives burn it off as things heat up. My commute to work (if I drive the car) is 8 miles 1 way. She comes up to temp but now I check under oil cap afterwards.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
vwillo1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive it every day! Cannot believe how many posters get their dream car and fret over whether or not to drive it!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short trips and/or stop/start traffic kills engines.
The oil never gets hot.

For short commutes, buy a beater and replace frequently.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM
vwillo1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Taking the scenic route doesn't hurt either.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I am retired but drive mine everyday for at least 25 miles. I like to pick a spot on the tom tom and take the shortest, not the fastest route. The shortest routes take me off the main roads and this makes for a nice drive through more scenic winding roads. The type that suits a 911 (down to the ground) excuse the pun. I go through gas like you wouldn't believe but what the hell. I didn't get the car to be worrying how much gas I am using or the price of gas. I got the car so I could drive these country winding roads and to feel how the back end clings to the road under extreme cornering. I love that manual gearbox. Oh it has a brake pedal as well haha. Hell walmart is 5 miles away and I find a 10 trip around to that place.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I drive a whole 4.5 miles to work each day
but I put plenty of "other" miles on the car the rest of the time and I make sure I give it a few minutes in the morning to warm up.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

It is a nice day here today, so I walked to work. My trip on the sidewalk/trail was 2.86 miles. It may not be the best trip for the Porsche, but it was a good way to start the day for me! Fortunately the smoke from the wildfires wasn't bad - its mostly blowing east and I walked north.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I would, except where I live it's when, not if you're run over.

I like having an intact spine and functioning legs.
Pffft. Overrated.

Quick Reply: Anyone commute less than 5 miles?