Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012 | 03:13 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Nah, had a look reminded me of the one in your avatar.

Tamworth m8

Did you not see Top Gear or are you on the re-runs.

Last edited by thirteeneast; 06-13-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-13-2012 | 07:10 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
Nah, had a look reminded me of the one in your avatar.

Tamworth m8

Did you not see Top Gear or are you on the re-runs.
Not keen on the Top Gear in the states. I used to like watching the British Original series. I like watching Wheeler Dealers. A couple of Southern Lads. It's a good show if you can get it.
Old 06-13-2012 | 12:30 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aviography
What did they exchange it to if what you got the first time was considered direct replacement? Was it a manufacturing defect? Although it's hard to imagine a defect being a fan larger in size.....
They(Sunset) replaced the 997 WP with a 996 WP. When I called them to report the problem, they put me on hold for quite a while checking. When they got back to me I got an acknowledgment from them that they should not have sent that 997 WP. I know that many have used the 997 WP successfully. So, maybe it was a manufacturing problem??

Last edited by dennis hiip; 06-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2012 | 12:01 AM
Barry Lenoble
Instructor

Hey,

I changed the pump Saturday morning. It took me a little over 3 hours and that included a trip to the auto parts place to buy a new hose clamp.

The procedure is actually pretty simple. There were no real surprises. I did have to remove a hard coolant pipe so there was enough room for the pump to drop down. One of the water pump bolts is real hard to reach. It took quite a bit of time to remove it and replace it. The car holds a LOT of coolant, over 2 gallons. I have added over two gallons of fresh coolant and I probably need to add a little more.

IMHO, spending 3 hours and $300 is much better than paying someone $1000 (or more) to do it for you.

Barry
Old 06-18-2012 | 03:02 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

These cars use 6 gallons of coolant...
Old 06-18-2012 | 04:37 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

But you don't lose all of it when doing the water pump. But I agree, if this is the first coolant change, ever, then full replacement is probably warranted. Since most of mine was replaced when the expansion tank was replaced 4 years ago, I won't mind ony adding make-up to it.

Barry, I plan on doing mine soon, as a preventative, so was the hard pipe plastic or metal? Need any gaskets to re-attach? Do you know the part number from the pet?
Old 06-18-2012 | 04:53 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

It's actually pretty difficult to get a large percentage of the coolant out of the car. I pulled the water pump, and both radiators and still only got about 90% of it. Just pulling the water pump should only drain about 2 gallons (as referenced above).
Old 06-20-2012 | 12:41 AM
Barry Lenoble
Instructor

Default pump Change

Originally Posted by perryinva
Barry, I plan on doing mine soon, as a preventative, so was the hard pipe plastic or metal? Need any gaskets to re-attach? Do you know the part number from the pet?
I bought the kit from Suncoast. It included the pump and gasket. Both fit perfectly.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...96WaterCooling
The price is$268. I also bought a new belt, since mine looked worn, and a gallon of Porsche coolant.

The hard pipe is metal. There were three bolts that hold it in position. Remove those and pull the pipe from the hose it is connected to, then move it out of the way.

The entire procedure is shown very nicely in a youtube video:
He shows the hard pipe that needs to be removed.

The only 'difficult' part is removing one of the water pump bolts. It's in a difficult place to reach. You better have a nice collection of 3/8" and 1/4" sockets, ratchets, extensions, etc. The best one for me was a deep dish 10mm. That fit most of the bolts.

One more thing, you better have a 3 gallon bucket ready to catch most of the old coolant.

Good luck,
Barry
Old 06-20-2012 | 11:13 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up! I've got a lift, a 5 gallon tub, air tools, and good assortment of sockets, so I'm not really worried about the difficulty. I also own the Uview vacuum fill tool, so I think I'm set. Thanks for the youtube, I'd watched a different one, for a '99, and there are some minor differences. Going to do the AOS as a preventative at the same time.
Old 06-20-2012 | 11:33 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perryinva
Thanks, I appreciate the heads up! I've got a lift, a 5 gallon tub, air tools, and good assortment of sockets, so I'm not really worried about the difficulty. I also own the Uview vacuum fill tool, so I think I'm set. Thanks for the youtube, I'd watched a different one, for a '99, and there are some minor differences. Going to do the AOS as a preventative at the same time.
I'm all for preventative maintenance, but since there's really no overlap in the work I'd suggest you just replace the waterpump and get your car working properly as a first step. Then, once you're sure things are good with your first repair, move on to the AOS. The AOS is a much more involved repair that will take a good amount of time. I prefer to know that I have one thing fixed and working properly before I introduce other variables. Just my two cents...
Old 06-21-2012 | 07:04 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Just ordered my Water pump from Autohauz (Pierbrug brand) for $248 shipped including gasket.
Old 06-21-2012 | 09:10 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Just ordered my Water pump from Autohauz (Pierbrug brand) for $248 shipped including gasket.
Good price! Is it a Porsche part?

So, is it worthwhile to replace the thermostat and belt at the same time?
Old 06-21-2012 | 11:23 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

According to a couple of websites that brand is what porsche rebrands as their own. So I guess it's believe it or not.

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Good price! Is it a Porsche part?

Old 06-22-2012 | 01:53 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Replacing the themostat isn't a bad idea while you're in there since it's just a couple extra bolts and you'll have the coolant drained already. If you need a new belt, it's a good time to do it as well since you'll have it off. But if yours still looks good I'd skip it, as the belt is very easy to access and is a 20 minute job.
Old 06-22-2012 | 06:46 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Replacing the themostat isn't a bad idea while you're in there since it's just a couple extra bolts and you'll have the coolant drained already. If you need a new belt, it's a good time to do it as well since you'll have it off. But if yours still looks good I'd skip it, as the belt is very easy to access and is a 20 minute job.
Thanks, I figured, but you never see those items mentioned when people are changing the pump.

Quick Reply: Water Pump