Sponsored by:

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

I am also worried that someone would replace a failing pump with this unit and not remove all the prior debris from the system which could lead to failure and our product would get the finger pointing.
What's the proper way of removing the debris? I assume you flush the engine, but how to you make sure you're washing things out and not into those small paths? I would assume you flush in the reverse direction of normal flow but how do you accomplish that?

Thanks,

S.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Barry Lenoble
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

Last Friday I ordered a new pump and gasket from Suncoast Porsche:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...96WaterCooling
The price was $268, which seems cheap to me (well, not for a water pump, but cheap for a Porsche part).

Just for grins I called the local dealer - they will change the pump for $1250 or I can buy the pump from them for $450!

I'll be installing the pump this week.

Barry
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 828 Posts

When my pump died I parked the car and ordered parts hoping to fix it the next weeked. Work and life got a little hectic at the same time the pump died so I didn't have any time to work on the car. Feeling like I was never going to have a free moment to fix the car, I called one of the local shops to get a quote to have them replace the water pump and thermostat. They go off "book time" from Porsche and they quoted me 5.5 hours at $110 an hour (not as bad as Barry's quote, though).

It took me a little under 3 hours to do it myself when I finally had time, and it was my first time doing that level of work on this car. I can only imagine how quickly a Porsche tech can do it.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

While we are on the subject of water pumps, does anyone know who has the best write up? I'm not so concerned about actually changing the pump, as I am about bleeding the system afterwards. I want to be certain there are no hot spots.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Jasper, Try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton Oregon. OEM Water Pump = $213.42 (purchased 12/2010) Ask for "Excellence Magazine" Pricing. Freight was $11 to Seattle. 1-800-346-0182...

"A question I will ask though is what pump should I order off of Pelican (should I choose to buy from them and not Suncoast). They offer two:
1) OEM supplier Pierburg for $275
2) OEM Porsche for $388"
Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
Just use your gauge Hurdi LOL.

Sudden change of mind with the wind there.
Not the sharpest Cockney on the planet if you can't read the sarcasm in my posting.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Deleted
Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Not the sharpest Cockney on the planet if you can't read the sarcasm in my posting.
"What all of your posts!".

Anyhow here's the link to the Austin owners club http://www.allegroclubint.org.uk/
Your do alright there its full of old Brits.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:55 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacks911
Jasper, Try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton Oregon. OEM Water Pump = $213.42 (purchased 12/2010) Ask for "Excellence Magazine" Pricing. Freight was $11 to Seattle. 1-800-346-0182...

"A question I will ask though is what pump should I order off of Pelican (should I choose to buy from them and not Suncoast). They offer two:
1) OEM supplier Pierburg for $275
2) OEM Porsche for $388"
Thanks Jacks - I would but they refuse to take Canadian credit cards. It's weird, their Audi division is fine with it (as is every other vendor in the world) but the Porsche guy is like nope - no way.

Defies logic. I'll try them again but last time I tried was last year.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Hahaha - you were being sarcastic? I wrote that post off as you just being a drunken moron.

Maybe you're not so bad after all dirtybirdy man. Sharp wit and all.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by jasper
Hahaha - you were being sarcastic? I wrote that post off as you just being a drunken moron.

Maybe you're not so bad after all dirtybirdy man. Sharp wit and all.
Jasper, I dont take alcohol these days. Nor do I smoke as I once did. May still be a moron though. Then again I say NO. Only a Moron would buy a 996 and forget to buy an extended warranty as part of the deal.

Playful banter you understand Jasper. Look up Hurdigurdiman on Youtube. Surely Morons don't do the things I do. Drop a message to me if you get to my channel. (A nice one this time please) lol

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 06-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beware: 997 WP is now sold as the direct replacement for the 996WP in our cars. The 997 WP I received from Sunset had an impeller that was 3/32" larger in diameter than the original 996 WP. Had I not checked for rotation and just put everything back together and started the car it would have been disastrous. Maybe it's just in MY 03, I don't know. Sunset exchanged the pump and apologized.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
Sunset exchanged the pump and apologized.
What did they exchange it to if what you got the first time was considered direct replacement? Was it a manufacturing defect? Although it's hard to imagine a defect being a fan larger in size.....
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by jasper
Thanks Jacks - I would but they refuse to take Canadian credit cards. It's weird, their Audi division is fine with it (as is every other vendor in the world) but the Porsche guy is like nope - no way.

Defies logic. I'll try them again but last time I tried was last year.
No so uncommon, I was trying to buy some Delvac transmission fluid http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants from Lufteknic in the US with a Canadian Visa credit card, I even have an US shipping address that is on file with Visa, but nope they won't accept the order, I have to wire-transfer funds and yada yada yada.

While I thought about getting some of the local guys together to buy a batch of various fluids from Lufteknic, at the end I didn't bother, it was just too much hassle in these days and age of sufficient anti-fraud protection not being enough for this outfit!!
Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
"What all of your posts!".

Anyhow here's the link to the Austin owners club http://www.allegroclubint.org.uk/
Your do alright there its full of old Brits.
Thats my kind of car lol... What about this for you. It could only be thought up in London. http://www.reliantownersclub.co.uk/

Quick Reply: Water Pump