996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just throwing out another option, AWE makes cats for the 996. I've had a set for a few years and have no compaints, a little louder but sounds good. Price is $1,845. By the way they fit a 3.4 just fine, that's what I have.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/p...96exhaust.html
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

We carry the Cargraphic product line and are very pleased with all their products.

Chris
Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I love AWE and Cargraphic exhaust products. Performance designed and tested for specific platforms and output.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Boricua3210
5th Gear

2002 911 carrera - needs new Cats alas - DEC reasobaly priced, if there is such a thing as reasonable?
Any comments, suggestions, reviews appreciated
Thanks
Old 11-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Boricua3210
2002 911 carrera - needs new Cats alas - DEC reasobaly priced, if there is such a thing as reasonable?
Any comments, suggestions, reviews appreciated
Thanks
Replaced both converters on my 02 Boxster using ones bought from a salvage business. $450/each vs. the over double that price (each) from the dealer. (I had the tech replace the converters when I had the car in for something else.)

I gave both converters a good shaking to ensure there were no rattles, which if there is is probably due to a loose "brick", which means the converter is no good. This was the problem with one of my car's converters.

BTW, I owe someone here an apology.

When I posted on this subject months ago someone said it was not legal -- I forget the exact words but these are close enough -- for the business to sell me used converters.

Without even bothering to research this I responded this was -- not the exact words but close enough -- nonsense.

Well, let me open my mouth and remove my foot or maybe a better analogy would be to remove my head from you can imagine where.

A while after posting my response I came across info which indicated the poster was right and I was wrong. Just searched for the info but can't find it but I recall it confirmed the other guy was right and I was wrong.

Anyhow, the used converters appear to be working just fine. They are quiet, which is always a good sign, and the CEL has not come on once for any converter problems. (There was a CEL event, actually two events, but the codes do not in any way suggest the converters are at fault. I think coils are due -- they have 286K miles on them -- and possibly some O2 sensors, or perhaps a MAF. I am not sure, I'm taking a wait and see attitude on this.)

Added:

Wrong and ignore:

So my advice would be to consider used converters. BTW, while the counter person at the salvage yard wouldn't give me a warranty on the things he did indicate that if the converters proved to be just bad from the outset he'd take them back for store credit.

Even though I admitted I was wrong and there a prohibition against fitting used converters, and I found the details I didn't read them very thoroughly and believed there was a loophole, that is a legitimate way to use used converters. Something about be certified as performing ok.

However, this loophole was closed circa July 10, 2008.

So I retract my advice to buy/fit used converters.

It looks like the choices are new OE converters or possibly some aftermarket but CARB approved converters.

Last edited by Macster; 11-07-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

AWE Tuning 200 Cats....Ran these on my 996.... The best? Tried Fab but never ran right.

I have my old ones, still good. But one has a rattle..... PM

Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

I still have the Fabspeed X-pipe which sounds great and has survived a few track events. I recommend as long as you are okay with how it changes the exhaust sound. Some might think it's a bit loud but I like it.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM
peteb3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have fabspeed x pipe cats
Agree that they are a bit loud but so far they have been great
On car for about a year
They are German made HJS I think so no quality issues
Old 11-07-2014, 03:56 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

It is illegal in California for a business to sell used cats. No ifs, ands, or buts. Even though a used cat might have years of use left in it and decrease your emissions.

If you have an OBD-1 car (like my daughter's BMW), and you need a replacement cat, you can't buy the OBD-1 cat for $200 that the residents of the other 49 states can purchase. You need one of the OBD-2 cats, which go for $500.

The emissions rulings the state comes up with drive me around the bend. If a car passes smog inspection, and that's the goal, why does the state care how you got there?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I just installed SpeedTech 200 cell x-pipe earlier this week. I also already had a Fabspeed MaxFlow exhaust and Fabspeed CF Competition Intake. The x-pipe cats have definitely changed the sound. It is actually a little bit quieter when cruising and a bit more exotic sounding above 4K. I haven't turned on my stereo since installed. It also seems to have added a bit more grunt and improved fuel economy, which is surprising, because I can not keep my foot out of it now.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great info and options here, thanks!

Don't want to hijack, but my car has 120k and I don't have good records. Runs fine/no CEL, but I do have a little rattle from cats or mufflers. Fister mod is on my short list, but how will I know when the cats are done?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by sfv_rider
It is illegal in California for a business to sell used cats. No ifs, ands, or buts. Even though a used cat might have years of use left in it and decrease your emissions.

If you have an OBD-1 car (like my daughter's BMW), and you need a replacement cat, you can't buy the OBD-1 cat for $200 that the residents of the other 49 states can purchase. You need one of the OBD-2 cats, which go for $500.

The emissions rulings the state comes up with drive me around the bend. If a car passes smog inspection, and that's the goal, why does the state care how you got there?
Unfortunately you are right.

Question: Are certified used OE converters rebuilt with new or refurbished parts?

Answer: No, used OE converters are simply tested for their remaining level of performance. Those that pass testing conducted by an ARB authorized business may be currently offered for resale in California. Cosmetic refurbishing, such as polishing of the converter’s shell, or replacement of end pipes or flanges is legal. As discussed above, the legal sale or installation of used catalytic converters will end July 10, 2008.

Here's the link:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/amcatq&a.pdf

I was remiss in recommending the OP buy/fit used converters.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

While it is sad that a Quality used cat can save you a small fortune and still not be legal.

In the end is it not better to purchase a product that will last as long as the unit installed on the car from the factory.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:59 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I strongly recommend the Speed Venture X-pipe and high flow cats. I have had mine for a little over two years and no issues. I have passed smog here in California twice without problems. Of course, you have to watch out for the visual check in which case, none of these aftermarket systems will pass Check with Speed Venture and talk with John D II and ask about the RL discount Good luck
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Actually, I found a number of converters certified for use with your car.

If you want to do your own search, here's the web site.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTo...ol.aspx#header

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter replacement options