Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Catalytic converter replacement options

My cats are clogged and based on my understanding here are my options:

1. Stock cats that cost about $4k to purchase
2. Used cats, not sure what the price is but I'd have to purchase them from an individual and who knows if they will remain functional for a decent amount of time
3. Fabspeed 200 cell cats that goes for about $1800 but I've heard mixed reviews on them
4. FVD 200 cell cats that cost around $2200 but I've not heard as much about them

What would you all recommend? I don't have any issues with exhaust noise and I do track the car occasionally but really I just want something reliable but of course want to get the best deal for my money.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

#4 and call then about a Rennlist discount. I believe the fitment is the best.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Check out other brands also. I mean, how much different can 200 cell cats be from one company to another. Yes, there are different quality cats but they all advertise they use high quality cats and you really can't verify them. There's others such as maxspeedmotorsports, speedtech, ztek etc also.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Option 3 with reservations as I have also heard about fitment issues.

Option 4 a bit pricey but it seems everyone is really happy who has them.

Option 3 & 4 both use the same cats.

But you can get new OEM factory cats from Sonnen Porsche for $1230.00 each ($2500 total for both shipped).

http://www.porscheoemparts.com/shopp...6searchtext%3D
Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmmm, maybe I need to look at the FVD 200's...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Im going to be finding a fabricator and use universal cats. Its ridiculous to pay $2k for catalytic convertors, period.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
#4 and call then about a Rennlist discount. I believe the fitment is the best.
I'll give them a call and get a baseline so I can figure out exactly where I stand on total price.

Originally Posted by geetee
Check out other brands also. I mean, how much different can 200 cell cats be from one company to another. Yes, there are different quality cats but they all advertise they use high quality cats and you really can't verify them. There's others such as maxspeedmotorsports, speedtech, ztek etc also.
I just checked Ebay and found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTek-Porsche...9f90c2&vxp=mtr

I also found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...item4843c1723e

Both are quite a bit cheaper but I just don't know much about them so was concerned about long-term reliability/quality.

Originally Posted by soverystout
Option 3 with reservations as I have also heard about fitment issues.

Option 4 a bit pricey but it seems everyone is really happy who has them.

Option 3 & 4 both use the same cats.

But you can get new OEM factory cats from Sonnen Porsche for $1230.00 each ($2500 total for both shipped).

http://www.porscheoemparts.com/shopp...6searchtext%3D
I would reconsider stock but it seems people keep having to replace these things more often than what I would consider to be normal. I only track my car 4-5 times per year and participate in autocrossing so if that negatively affects the stock cats I'd rather go with aftermarket.

Speaking of which, is anyone aware of any aftermarket cat failures? Or have all failures just happened to the stock systems?

Originally Posted by jyoteen
Im going to be finding a fabricator and use universal cats. Its ridiculous to pay $2k for catalytic convertors, period.
I agree it is nuts to pay that much when I can get the converter itself for $200 each. I just feel like these hacked systems might not have the right flow and could put me back in a spot where I'd have to eventually shell out the $2k to get the car running right.

In my old VW enthusiast days I took my GTi to a muffler fabricator and had them create a cat-back exhaust system for me and it worked out perfectly. But there are more bends and less space in the 911 so I'm not sure who to trust.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:49 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went with the Fabspeed. So far, so good, but I have not driven it much.

FM
Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM
JRMaroon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fernando, Have you made a purchase decision on your cats? I am in a similar situation with one of my cats on the way out, based on the rattle and the occasional CEL.

Any additional feedback is appreciated as I will be purchasing a replacement(s) soon.

To follow up on an above post, Is anyone aware of failures to aftermarket 200 cell cats?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRMaroon
Fernando, Have you made a purchase decision on your cats? I am in a similar situation with one of my cats on the way out, based on the rattle and the occasional CEL.

Any additional feedback is appreciated as I will be purchasing a replacement(s) soon.

To follow up on an above post, Is anyone aware of failures to aftermarket 200 cell cats?

Thanks,
Jeff
I ordered the Fabspeed cats. I know I'm taking a gamble but it appears that for those who did have a good experience with them they end up being pretty satisfied.

I hadn't reported back yet because they are out of stock so it's in the process of being fabricated and I should hopefully have them next week.

FVD does have some in stock but they are roughly $700 more for what appears to be a very similar design. So I took the chance with this one instead.

I'll let everyone know what I think of them after I (hopefully) install them next weekend.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool keep me posted, if they work well I'll probably get them too.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 813 Posts

If your cats are toast, purchase some decent quality aftermarket high-flow cats (I like Magnaflow) and take the factory cats to a reputable fab shop and have them cut out the factory cats and replace them with the Magnaflows. It should cost under $500.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Fernando, the FS cats are a good product as long as they are fitted correctly and do no leak. Make sure they are clamped well. You will love sound they make. Do you have PSE or aftermarket exhaust?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:27 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riad
Cool keep me posted, if they work well I'll probably get them too.
Will do! Fabspeed called me today and said they'll try to have it shipped by mid-next week.

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
If your cats are toast, purchase some decent quality aftermarket high-flow cats (I like Magnaflow) and take the factory cats to a reputable fab shop and have them cut out the factory cats and replace them with the Magnaflows. It should cost under $500.
I considered that but then I'd have to find a competent shop (which isn't probably too difficult to do) to try to put the pieces together. Plus I figured now is a good opportunity to upgrade from stock and really liked the premise behind the "x-pipe" configuration.

Originally Posted by Hardback
Fernando, the FS cats are a good product as long as they are fitted correctly and do no leak. Make sure they are clamped well. You will love sound they make. Do you have PSE or aftermarket exhaust?
I spoke with them about fitment while ordering and was assured it would plug right in...So I'm crossing my fingers that this is the case.

I currently have PSE on my car but it was installed by the PO and doesn't have the switch enabled so it is always "loud" which is exactly my liking.

Looking forward to how this might enhance the exhaust sound even further!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Dood, your going to be pleasantly surprised. The exhaust note is amplified big time with no drone. Anyone with bad cats should consider 200 cells.

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter replacement options