996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Yet another stereo question for Cab.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:11 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yet another stereo question for Cab.

Hi team,

I have a 2001 996 Cab. I have the dash, door and rear side panel speaker system. I have the stock head unit but will replace with a double din set up. My question is I want to do a phased approach if possible, the questions are:

1) Do all 996's have a stock amplifier?
2) Where is it located in a cab?
3) Will the stock amp work with aftermarket headunits ok, or would be be better to remove it and use the new head units power, or a mix of both till a new amp comes along?
4) Since I have 6 sets of speakers, Im assuming a 6 channel amp would be the way to go?
5) Thanks!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Hi team,

I have a 2001 996 Cab. I have the dash, door and rear side panel speaker system. I have the stock head unit but will replace with a double din set up. My question is I want to do a phased approach if possible, the questions are:

1) Do all 996's have a stock amplifier?
2) Where is it located in a cab?
3) Will the stock amp work with aftermarket headunits ok, or would be be better to remove it and use the new head units power, or a mix of both till a new amp comes along?
4) Since I have 6 sets of speakers, Im assuming a 6 channel amp would be the way to go?
5) Thanks!
1. Yes ( i think)
2) right in the front boot behind the spare tire. kinda hassle to get out the bracket one screw is easy but to get the other one you need to take off the cover on the right side.
3) yes it will work great your head unit will provide the 2 rca jacks for back and front and the amp will split it into 6.

if i were you I would go head unit first to add bluetooth/nav/iphone then speakers and them maybe amp.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Ah ok, my spare wheel is not upright against the firewall, it lies flat on the floor or the boot. But Im guessing its still behind some kind of plastic cover where you say?

Yeah I am going for the new Pioneer AVH 4450 and have some Facal 5WS on the way.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Found the amp, its 6x40w, not too bad for factory! Is that as good as it gets without re-wiring in a new one? I.e. no factory plug and play option any better?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:53 PM
BigDamEngineer
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a picture of where the stock 6x40W amp is? Aside, I rather suspect the rating is peak per channel, as opposed to RMS which makes it rather weak and prone to high levels of distortion at volume.

I've got a 4x150 RMS JL Audio enroute, and want to utilize the existing speaker wires terminating on the amp. From your experience, is it possible to tie into these?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 AM
NZ951
Race Director

The stock amp is to the right of the battery. A quick google search will show a few pics. Yes the 6X40w is peak power, so basically nothing!

I am actually thinking a mono amp for the doors subs and use the stock Pioneer 4X50w for the dash and rear speakers might be a good bang for buck setup.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Agena
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Pioneer front end, MB Quart in the dash and rear panels, focal "5" subs" in the door panels. Didn't sound great until I added a real sub-woofer.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

Speakers first, always speakers first. The best amp or H/U will still sound bad through the stock speakers, the are junk. I have Focal 100KPs in the dash, 5WS in the doors and 100 slimlines in the rear sides. This with the stock amp and H/U sounded way better than stock. But it was way under powered with the stock amp.

I then added a JL audio 6450 amp which made a huge difference.

I am still running the OEM H/U and CD player. The radio is not great but both the in dash cd and the 6cd in the trunk sound pretty good.

I will hold my system up against one with any H/U and amp you choose running through the stock speakers and it will blow it away. There is just no way to get good sound out of the stock speakers.

Quick Reply: Yet another stereo question for Cab.