996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who has installed an IMS Guardian?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 AM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who has installed an IMS Guardian?

Just curious as to peoples experiences installing the Flat-6 IMS Guardian. Difficulty, time involved, experiences, and general opinions of the operation of the unit.

Thank you
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Jake's R.E.D. link - sign up for the newsletter. There is a install video he made that consists of something like the full 14 steps along with commentary.

I already had them do my IMSR and other 'while you're in there' type of parts like spark plugs, water pump, and some other items.

I would get it.... sounds like good extra protection for the M96 engine.

I had shipped my car down
Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Has anyone who has done the IMS upgrade also installed the Guardian?

I did the upgrade last spring so the Guardian seems less important. I think I like the upgrade better than the guardian. Although it is much less expensive.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
Has anyone who has done the IMS upgrade also installed the Guardian?

I did the upgrade last spring so the Guardian seems less important. I think I like the upgrade better than the guardian. Although it is much less expensive.
I'm curious about this, too. I've had the LNE bearing upgrade for nearly three years. I don't even know if the Guardian would work with the LNE bearing material.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
I'm curious about this, too. I've had the LNE bearing upgrade for nearly three years. I don't even know if the Guardian would work with the LNE bearing material.
That is a really good question!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It can detect the material shed from the LNE bearing race.

It can also detect other ferrous materials from the engine such as rods, crank, cams, etc.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jpowers
Just curious as to peoples experiences installing the Flat-6 IMS Guardian. Difficulty, time involved, experiences, and general opinions of the operation of the unit.

Thank you
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...n-install.html

Comments were posted in this thread which may help. I only had two issues - connecting the power jumper (didn't realize there were three latches) and running the line from inside cabin to the outside. Video wasn't clear and it was my first time doing this. Once I figured it out, all else went fine.

Works great and I now have some peace of mind. Hope to never ever hear it go off!!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceP
I'm sure a search would bring it up somewhere but Jake has said that it would be added protection for folks who have already replaced their bearing. Maybe it's on his website but I'm pretty sure he's also made the comment on Rennlist.

Also, keep in mind, the LNE bearing isn't intended to last forever. It has an expected life of about 4-5yrs/50-60K miles (according to LNE's website) so it, too, will fail at some time. The IMS retrofit isn't a fix it and forget about it thing. LNE suggests that the IMS be treated as a routine maintenance item.

-Eric
Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

easy install. didn't take long at all... check out the link posted earlier by babylonboots... took me about 2.5 hours.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Easy to install. The most "difficult" and time consuming part is carefully running the wire from the dash to the back. Otherwise -- Great plug-in-play.

I added flex-loom over the wire from the plug/sensor to the cabin grommet. Some don't recommend this because moisture could build up.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

By my estimates over 3 billion Guardians have been sold and as of yet I have not heard of any stories of the alarm going off and the warm stories of countless engine saves . Granted many living in the Great White North are holding off installation until spring. But come on.... nothing on any website, chatrooms, tweets, or PBS "This American Life"
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I remember, Jake's newsletter or somewhere else tells us there have been one or two "saves" thus far. Whether that was the IMSB going south or some other component, not sure.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:05 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I plan to install mine at my next oil change - about a month away.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

We have experienced a single IMS Alert. The testimonial from the owner of that car will be in our next newsletter along with the full story.. Funny thing is he bought the car that had the device installed, so the story is quite interesting.

Here are 100 more heading to our UK Distributor on Monday... Another 50 will follow them on the way to Australia at the end of next week.. We finally have them back in stock after getting large orders filled.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Nice! I look forward to reading the story Jake. Great job with the product. I think I will get one at some point even though you did my IMSR work - I see it only as a benefit to M96 owners. What other engine costs 2-3 times what a V8 GM crate engine costs? (don't answer that!)

Quick Reply: Who has installed an IMS Guardian?