Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C4 owners, how does your car launch off redline??

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:34 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
In pac996's vid, wonder why the guys not using No lift shift on his car. He would me much faster, that's really slowing him down letting off every shift. You lose all the boost, really kills mph.

I have to look at the front diff on c4 compared to the TT.
Nitro,

Please don't take this the wrong way....

Nobody cares!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy a turbo and forget about planning ahead for launching. 3 second 60 ft times minimum and last known stock they do 40-60mph in 1 second just flooring it. Best thing about the 911 is that shut it down when a turn approaches coming up fast is over. Just fly the turn instead of drive an old truck suspension corvette or top heavy muscle car. Like you eluded to suspension set ups blah blah doing tubs or extra piping the rear its no need for the 911 going with stock set ups. Yah sure it may suck when a 411 or 456 rear or whatevers cant take a 911 that will fly past the 100mph mark when the 411 is topping out the engine rpms its just engineering. It's why the 911 costs while you can work for months and experiment trying to get an american car to catch up. Just can't happen though for most cars no matter how they are improved.

Here's a slower than the last video of the drag winning 911 with 10 second 1/4's. This one only does 11's.
Traction traction traction you can try to get just throwing tires, engine, battery in trunk and special shocks.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Nitro,

Please don't take this the wrong way....

Nobody cares!
LoL
Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Some people also like to drink wine out of a box.
While listening to dueling banjos
Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In pac996's vid, wonder why the guys not using No lift shift on his car. He would me much faster, that's really slowing him down letting off every shift. You lose all the boost, really kills mph.

I have to look at the front diff on c4 compared to the TT.
Are you talking about power shifting or the "feature" on some GM cars that allows for WOT shifting without letting off of the accelerator?

If the latter, I've never heard anything about 996es having this "feature" built into its ECU.

If the former, then you're probably talking to the wrong folks. Power shifting is just going to rapidly decrease the lifetime of the transmission and clutch on these (or any) cars and most of the people on these boards aren't looking for that last 0.1 sec. in acceleration times on the street. If that doesn't bother you then go for it. If you're that concerned about acceleration then you're probably better off with a sequential manual anyway.

Besides, as far as "hooking up" goes, while I haven't dumped my C4S' clutch at redline, I've found that most AWD cars that I've owned and/or driven tend to bog on a hard take-off. It's easier to take off faster in a RWD car and, unless I am mistaken, the AWD systems in these cars arent full time. IMHO, theTT doesn't have AWD for take-off; it's there to assist in the corners to keep the car's *** going where the driver intended it to go.

-Eric
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 AM
Pac996
Drifting

I am curious as to how the car launches whenever you launch at redline with the 6 speed. You know, let go of the clutch with your foot to the floor. Do the tires grab and go? Do you get goofy alternating traction and wheel spin?

Thanks
Well in reviewing your question I guess its more correct to not figure in the part about red lining the engine and just say you don't have to redline the engine at launch to beat the rest of the rear wheel drive cars off the line. The car can do 7.5k rpms so maybe just figure it like a car with a circle track cam in it already. Best thing is it already has the engine and lifters to handle the cam profile. Not much else to add.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:04 AM
GASGAZ
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its very tongue in cheek as usual for Clarkson, but not a bad entry by the C4 non the less.. Its launch off the line is a bit less dramatic however..

Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Darn, makes me want a 911 even more.
OK I guess I'll just start sleeping in the car.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:20 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first off you close minded people that only park your baby in a garage and brag about it... Please do not post in my thread!!

I drive my cars! Like they are meant to be! Those who say " oh no, but what if it breaks!", it's a machine, I'll repair and improve what broke! Thanks

The no lift shift can be added to any car an specifically the Porsche ECU as a program add with external ground switch. How it works is that when you depress the clutch peddle above a certain rpm, the rev limiter will activate at a preprogrammed rpm, let's say 5500 for conversation sake. This allows you to keep your foot to the floor and slide the car into the next gear without any load or risk of hurting the car. I'm sure you've seen one in action if youve ever watched import drag racing. The car will go "pop pop pop pop" between shifts. Same with formula one cars. Your hearing a preset rev limiter. When the clutch is released, the rev limiter is de activated. So the faster you shift, the less time this takes and you don't lose boost.

One of the best feature of a p car is the rear engine, can't do better then that for launching. Hence why Porsche has very good 0-60 times and exactly why Porsche mentioned these times in many sales campaigns. Not track times, but 0-60.

I like the road course, I also like drag racing... So don't bash, highly immature... Grow up some of you...

Last edited by nitrorocket; 03-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Hey, with that last video did I miss something? Didn't he say it was a c4 with awd? How did they get it to do that donut?? That's odd....
Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
2300cc
Instructor

I don't want to be a D-Bag, but telling all of these people here they just "park there cars in the garage and brag about it" is BS. Most of the people on the forums take their cars to track days and when it comes to Porsche's that is driving one how it is meant to be driven!

I have nothing against drag racing I come from a long line of Mustangs but when a 911 is designed I am pretty sure the engineers do not have drag racing in mind. So if you would like a C4 for drag racing by all means it is your money! But I do not believe the drivetrain is designed to handle continuous hard launching that drag racing demands without some work being done... just my $.02
Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Well first off you close minded people that only park your baby in a garage and brag about it... Please do not post in my thread!!

I drive my cars! Like they are meant to be! Those who say " oh no, but what if it breaks!", it's a machine, I'll repair and improve what broke! Thanks

The no lift shift can be added to any car an specifically the Porsche ECU as a program add with external ground switch. How it works is that when you depress the clutch peddle above a certain rpm, the rev limiter will activate at a preprogrammed rpm, let's say 5500 for conversation sake. This allows you to keep your foot to the floor and slide the car into the next gear without any load or risk of hurting the car. I'm sure you've seen one in action if youve ever watched import drag racing. The car will go "pop pop pop pop" between shifts. Same with formula one cars. Your hearing a preset rev limiter. When the clutch is released, the rev limiter is de activated. So the faster you shift, the less time this takes and you don't lose boost.

One of the best feature of a p car is the rear engine, can't do better then that for launching. Hence why Porsche has very good 0-60 times and exactly why Porsche mentioned these times in many sales campaigns. Not track times, but 0-60.

I like the road course, I also like drag racing... So don't bash, highly immature... Grow up some of you...

Ok I agree with your point that you like motorsports - incl drag racing.
But I don't agree with your assertion that we park ours in the garage....I do 5 to 6 track events a year - they're just not drag races. I have gotten good enough in my stock C4 that I can lap 2 seconds better than guys in cars with an 80hp advantage. If you've done DE events they are on a road course, 4 to 5 hours a day, over a couple of days - so even though I made fun of your drag racing rant - it doesn't make me a garage queen driver. I just have no interest in drag racing as a sport - but I recognize plenty of other people do.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nitro...must have missed something.. Exactly what kind of Porsche do you own? Can you tell us more about it please? Pics?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GASGAZ
Its very tongue in cheek as usual for Clarkson, but not a bad entry by the C4 non the less.. Its launch off the line is a bit less dramatic however..
Hi folks - here's a hi-resolution/HD version of that video (albeit in 4:3)

Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes a picture of your Porsche would be nice before you tell the other "owners" what to do with their cars.

Quick Reply: C4 owners, how does your car launch off redline??