Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C4 owners, how does your car launch off redline??

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want wheel spin. What gave you that idea?? I'm asking how well the car hooks and what people have done to combat wheel spin...
Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure if even the factory "drops the clutch" from redline to achieve published 0 to 60 times.
(which are pretty quick times compared to most cars even ones with way more published torque and HP numbers.
Pete
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put as much power to the wheels that you want and its still going to hook up. It's like the Cerv2 GM made in the turns. Last thing you want to do in a turn if it starts to break loose is let off the gas. Big difference with the 911 is all the bugs are worked out and the transmission is way better. There is even a launch control these days that lets you sit there with your foot to the floorboard and the computer controls throttle, and trans for the fastest take off. The porsche PDK trans is way faster than anything out there.

Here's hooking up without reading.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

OP, these cars are quick in a straight line but launching into a drag race is not really what they are designed to do. Motor's weight over the rear wheels coupled with up to 40% of the torque getting transferred to front wheels should the rears break loose allows for quick acceleration with minimal wheel spin. I've never dumped my clutch at 6000 rpm simply because these cars can be really expensive to repair and doing so would be abusive in my opinion. However, if you want to learn what a carrera 2 or 4 is really capable of then I suggest signing up for a track event. You will be amazed how much grip and balance these cars have. But be warned.... Tracking will lead to mods and suddenly all your free time on the weekend will be spent wrenching/driving/laughing/and lying about lap times...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

That's good info.! Thanks!!

I hate when people say a $100 supercar isnt meant to do something. Or isn't meant for drag racing when it's super light, powerful, and all wheel drive. And when all Porsche adds I've seen don't advertise g force or slalom... The advertise 0-60 times which is the number one key to a good drag race. And I love all racing whether it's at the strip or road course.

I ask this question because if Porsche(or anyone else) attains a 0-60 in let's say 3.8 launching an awd car at 4000 rpm(for conversation sake), then it will be quicker at 5000 or 7000 rpm IF the car hooks. So a proper setup of tired, and suspension adjustment will improve the cars launch until it can simply be put to the floor and let your foot off the clutch.

McLeod also makes a launch control specifically designed to help with this. I almost installed one on my 1000hp pro touring Chevelle.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM
smokindav
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holding the engine at redline and dumping the clutch is not the best way to launch an AWD car (you should already know this since you have a 500hp Audi Quattro - why are you trolling here?) . You will have to experiment to find the best way to achieve the quickest 60' times at a drag strip. I've drag raced AWD DSMs and the best launches were always with the RPMs at about 4500 and quickly slipping the clutch out while flooring the gas.

Dumping the clutch as you suggest could cause axles or the transmission to break and as I mentioned is not the fastest way to get off the line.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
kr3678
Instructor

Honestly, drag racing bores me so I've spent very little time thinking about how the car launches. That being said, if I was interested in launches, drag racing and 0-60 times there are probably some much better choices than an AWD Porsche 911.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

For a sophisticated street car what would you say is better? With rear engine it is a much better candidate then most other cars.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
I am curious as to how the car launches whenever you launch at redline with the 6 speed. You know, let go of the clutch with your foot to the floor. Do the tires grab and go? Do you get goofy alternating traction and wheel spin?

Thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 05:37 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't buy my car to drag race. Opening it up on a twisting road in the hill country is where it really shines. That's why I upgraded the suspension. Brakes are next.

I just wanted to see if it smoked the tires or bit. It basically bit, but did generate a little smoke at the rears. It was by no means a tire melting burnout. Tires were 295 PS2's

That's a TT. I suspect a C4 will just bite.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

In pac996's vid, wonder why the guys not using No lift shift on his car. He would me much faster, that's really slowing him down letting off every shift. You lose all the boost, really kills mph.

I have to look at the front diff on c4 compared to the TT.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a Subaru WRX STi. That car was quickest by sidestepping the clutch at full rpm/full throttle (I only did it once - yes, was quick). Apparently the standard WRX was good for about 10 such launches before something broke whereas the STi could do it all day.

I haven't tried it with my TT. Apart from anything else when it's not raining I think it would destroy my winter tires and when it is, I don't need to dump the clutch to get wheelspin. Plus it would destroy my licence here in the city!

Cheers Ben
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben_C
I used to have a Subaru WRX STi. That car was quickest by sidestepping the clutch at full rpm/full throttle (I only did it once - yes, was quick). Apparently the standard WRX was good for about 10 such launches before something broke whereas the STi could do it all day.

I haven't tried it with my TT. Apart from anything else when it's not raining I think it would destroy my winter tires and when it is, I don't need to dump the clutch to get wheelspin. Plus it would destroy my licence here in the city!

Cheers Ben
Isn't the class he is racing in prevented from using that mod?

Go to a dealer and test drive one. Try looking at the sport package ones that have the launch control where you push the botton, hold the brake and hold the throttle down and the computer sets up the proper rpms. The PDK is faster than gear shifting so maybe try the 997 forum.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
For a sophisticated street car what would you say is better? With rear engine it is a much better candidate then most other cars.
Therein lies the problem for me. It's just my opinion, but I don't equate 0-60 launches with sophisticated street cars. Maybe someone else has some suggestions for you.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Some people also like to drink wine out of a box.

Quick Reply: C4 owners, how does your car launch off redline??