996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Theft

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I was talking with a local member a few months ago while picking up a part I bought from him, his 997 Turbo was stolen right from his driveway, however the thief had it easy as they took his keys hung on the wall in the kitchen which has a window facing the street, they broke in through the window, took the keys and drove the car away.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been a couple of threads where lister's cars have been stolen.

The first I remember reading was on the Canadian forum where a member's home was broken into at night while he, his wife and children were sleeping and the thieves found the keys to his 997 and his wife's Cayenne. Both vehicles where then driven out of his garage. Not sure how the thieves bypassed his home alarm, but this seems to be (or was) a common MO of car thieves here in Toronto as I personally know 3 families who have had their cars removed from their driveways after the thieves got ahold of their keys.

There is another long thread on the GT3 forum were a lister's car was stolen from a Las Vegas hotel parking structure. In that case the if I recall correctly the thief had a device that was able to override the immobilizer and simply then drove the car out of the hotel parking area. It's a good read with images of the thief from the hotel coming and going (w/ car) from the hotel property and the sad ending of a burned out wreck of a once nice GT3.

Or they can try
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
There have been a couple of threads where lister's cars have been stolen.

The first I remember reading was on the Canadian forum where a member's home was broken into at night while he, his wife and children were sleeping and the thieves found the keys to his 997 and his wife's Cayenne. Both vehicles where then driven out of his garage. Not sure how the thieves bypassed his home alarm, but this seems to be (or was) a common MO of car thieves here in Toronto as I personally know 3 families who have had their cars removed from their driveways after the thieves got ahold of their keys.

There is another long thread on the GT3 forum were a lister's car was stolen from a Las Vegas hotel parking structure. In that case the if I recall correctly the thief had a device that was able to override the immobilizer and simply then drove the car out of the hotel parking area. It's a good read with images of the thief from the hotel coming and going (w/ car) from the hotel property and the sad ending of a burned out wreck of a once nice GT3.

Or they can try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9XVA2rvNek
That video is wild.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
calbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure you get the Frunk Monkey if you are using it for your 996.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
piiqmark
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Porsche on the list http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../03/209303.htm but thats not to say you shouldnt be aware of your surroundings. NY insurance rates are pretty high for a reason but full coverage on my F150 has gone up since I owned it (no tickets clean record). Guess the theory of "part" value and popularity of the vehicle is what makes someone want to steal your car. But hey, if I was a kid that was looking for some trouble (or didnt care if i got in trouble) I could be tempted to take a car I would "never be able to afford on my own" for a little test drive! Heck, I drive my 996 like I stole it! (Just not in NYC traffic of course! LOL)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

As soon as I bought my car, I had a local talented installer install (a) Directed Electronics 504m tilt sensor, and (b) Stinger Doubleguard shock sensor (also by Directed Electronics), both as add-on s to the factory alarm system. Directed Electronics is the maker of Viper alarm systems (www.directed.com). The shock sensor will go off if the car is bumped or a window is broken. The tilt sensor will sound the alarm is the car is raised by a tow truck or if someone puts a jack underneath to steal the wheels.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (12-28-2020)

Quick Reply: Theft