Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Theft (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/682082-theft.html)

996_North 02-22-2012 10:07 PM

Theft

Being a new Porsche owner, theft is on my mind:burnout:...does anyone have any stories / experiences they can share ? are they any suggestions for extra precautions / systems that would deter or prevent theft. Thanks !

logray 02-22-2012 10:21 PM

Theft of what, the car? That would pretty much require a tow truck.

I think most "thieves" go after the easier "steals".

Sue Esponte 02-22-2012 10:26 PM

A couple of rules I live by:

Don't park in a bad neighborhood and antagonize the kids loitering at the corner of the street.
Don't leave your car running when you run into the store for some "Diet Coke."
Don't act like a schmuck in public - in particular if you're about to walk away from your car in a public lot.
Don't get a vanity plate that says "STOLEN" especially if you plan on doing any of the above.

I'm sure there are others. :)

All jokes aside, just use common sense. I'm not aware of any special deterrents that will keep a pro away from a car if they really want it. If you're really concerned you should look into LoJack or a similar system. Other than that there's not much out of the ordinary which you undoubtedly know that you can do to protect your new love.

Most importantly, enjoy it!

-Eric

dotframe 02-22-2012 10:35 PM

I have insurance. Besides, I can't imagine it would be easy to hot-wire a Porsche. Most car thieves are going to go for the easier cars. If they are good enough to get the 996 running then I can't imagine any alarm system would make a difference.

ohioboxster 02-22-2012 10:41 PM

What kind of car are you thinking about stealing? ;)

996_North 02-22-2012 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by logray (Post 9300523)
Theft of what, the car? That would pretty much require a tow truck.

I think most "thieves" go after the easier "steals".

Maybe not a tow truck, but how about a flower pot ? http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/...55959920071206
;)

logray 02-22-2012 11:42 PM

Ahhhh, well in that case you need something with more power:

http://www.mcmfamily.com/images/rifl...50-package.jpg

peavynation 02-22-2012 11:42 PM

Good point Nick: I NEVER have my keys left out on a hanging rack by the door, or in a bowl on a side table. Someone breaks into your house and they get all the keys to the cars sitting right outside ready for them to drive off in. I hide them all thru the house instead. And then can't remember where I hid them. Lol! But at least my cars won't get stolen as easily if the house is broken into.

Dharn55 02-23-2012 12:41 AM

Back in the late 70's I drove a 1976 911S and I was very paranoid that it would be stolen when I parked it on the street in Chicago. I used to take the wire from the coil to the distributor off whenever I parked it. Figured no one could drive it away even if they got in it.

Capt. Obvious 02-23-2012 01:32 AM

Modern cars (particularly high-end cars) are quite difficult to steal. Also, the market for stolen Porsche parts isn't worth the effort most of the time.

Pac996 02-23-2012 06:24 AM

Park in a garage? Hire a good looking chick to sit in your car when at work?

mjb2448 02-23-2012 09:06 AM

Someone pulling your door lock and popping the ignition in the dead of night is going to be a rare event. The concern would be a carjack or the intercept for your keys. Situation awareness is your first defense followed by a working knowledge of your local statute covering self defense, the proper tool for such event and the willingness to implement said tool.

Marc Gelefsky 02-23-2012 10:08 AM

These are tough cars to steal but If someone is going to steal it... well they are going to steal it. Use common sense and thats what insurance is for. 996 is a replaceable car.

I lost one Porsche to theft many years ago, it was an well modified 87 951. They found it trashed in Newark, NJ ... damn shame.

jrgordonsenior 02-23-2012 10:11 AM

12 years ago I had a beautiful 98' 993 cab stolen from 3 levels down in a very tight subterranean garage (only 8 units) in Westwood. My condo was right above the garage door/gate but we didn't hear a thing. Figured they must have somehow disconnected the immobolizer, popped the ignition, and pushed it up to ground level with at least 4 guys. Prrobaby a flat bed from there but no way a truck could get down to the 3rd. level. Found it stripped a week later in Compton. Cops thought a body shop since the drivetrain was there but that was about all they left...

A few years after that I valet'd my 993 TT at a well known B.Hills restaurant. When they brought it back the glove box was open but I didn't think much of it at the time. Later that night someone popped the door and ignition locks but couldn't start it as I had the very visable kill switch turned off. The opened the trunk and tried to wire around the electric kill switch finally giving up and leaving. All they had to do was flip the switch 45 degress which is what I did in the AM before I even noticed the popped door lock lying on the floor. As I was slowly realizing what had hapened smoke started coming out from under the hood so I fliiped the kill switch back off and grabbed the extingusiher from its mount on the floor. They had shorted out the kill switch wires which caused the fire when I flipped it on. Easy to extinguish and it was back up and running shortly thereafter. Morons....

chsu74 02-23-2012 10:26 AM

^ another reason I do not like valet. I park at self park and lock places. My wife hates it when I do it but I drop her off at the restaurant entrance and then find a parking spot if available.