996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

04 996 Turbo

Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 AM
laratta
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 996 Turbo

Hi there I got a 04 996 turbo manual 6spd with 8000 miles completely stock. It has a whining noise when in reverse and only in reverse. It does not make any sounds and it shifts very smooth a nice when driving through gears 1 to 6. This noise only happens in reverse and when the car is in motion and that is normal daily reversing like out of the garage or driveway i dont do any long distance reversing. If the car is at a stand still in reverse it doesn't make any noise only when moving. Anyone know what this may be?

Last edited by laratta; 07-22-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Does the sound change with speed? Does it start when first engaged and still idling?

-Eric
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM
laratta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Does the sound change with speed? Does it start when first engaged and still idling?

-Eric
Only when the car is moving in reverse. If the car is not moving there is no noise.

Last edited by laratta; 02-21-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by laratta
Hi there I got a 04 996 turbo manual 6spd with 20,000 miles. It has a whining noise when in reverse and only in reverse. It does not make any sounds and it shifts very smooth a nice when driving through gears 1 to 6. This noise only happens in reverse and when the car is in motion and gets a bit louder the faster it goes. If the car is at a stan still in reverse it doesn't make any noise only when moving. Anyone know what this may be?
An overactive imagination?

Seriously, the differential gears have a clearance, the teeth have a form, so the gears can deliver quiet operation and do so for many many thousands of miles with little attention.

But I note the expectation is the miles will almost always be covering with the car traveling in the forward direction.

In reverse, the gears are turning in a direction that they are not optimized to turn in. This doesn't mean they'll fail when exposed to reasonable time backing the car up,

But they are not intended to move the car any great distance in reverse.

Backing out of a parking space? No problem.

Even several times a day? Still, no problem. I do not even give a second thought to the diff when I do this to my cars, day in, day out.

Backing up in a driveway too narrow to turn around in? No problem. And the times I have done this I do not even think about the diff and gears. My focus is entirely on backing the car up safely avoiding any scrapes or bumps, things like that.

Driving hundreds of feet or more, at anything over a walking speed?

A problem. Maybe. Eventually.

That when you drive the car some distance, at something above a walking speed, you hear some noise is when using the car this way is not surprising.

Of course you did not supply an audio clip. Even if there a clip noises are hard to diagnose and classify, even with a clip.

My best advice is to get the to a professional experienced with these cars and have him give a listen and offer his opinion.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 PM
laratta
Intermediate

I will definately get it checked out i just wanted to see if someone was familiar with this type of problem. When i explain the problem it is just basically backing out of the garage or parking stall. I dont ever go a long distance or high speed in reverse. I have had the same and newer models and have never had this with any of the others but this car does have a short shift kit if this makes a difference.

Last edited by laratta; 02-21-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gears in every manual I have ever had whine in reverse. Is this something unusual that just started, or your first manual?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSST
The gears in every manual I have ever had whine in reverse. Is this something unusual that just started, or your first manual?
+996!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 PM
laratta
Intermediate

I agree on the regular whine but this is different really loud almost like a gear type of a noise. Im trying to find the best way to describe it. All the other cars have been manuals that im comparing to. I got the car like this so it has always done it and the car does have a short shift kit installed.

Last edited by laratta; 02-21-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A video with decent sound quality would help those in the know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 996 Turbo