996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question on Extended Warranties...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 PM
El Rorro
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Question on Extended Warranties...

Hi Everybody. New member/fisrt post here...

I have been lurking around this forum for a couple of weeks now, since I am in the market for a 996. I have found a couple of seemingly good examples of what I want, but nothing has come through so far. I will keep looking...

My question today revolves around extended warranties and their covering (or not) the IMS. I just got a quote that appears very reasonably priced, and states the below on covered parts. The question is: In your interpretation, would it cover the IMS issue? Yes, I know it is an internal engine part, but in its factory conception (before any retrofit) the bearing is sealed/does not get lubricated, and the bolt in it (which as far as I have read, fails too) would not be something that requires oil to function, would it?

I would appreciate your comments and guidance on this issue.

Covered Components - Deluxe
Engine - All internal components of the engine that require lubrication for operation. Harmonic balancer, engine block, cylinder heads, oil pan, and timing chain cover are also covered only if damaged by failure of a covered internally lubricated engine component and condition.
Transmission - All internal components of the transmission that require lubrication for operation. Torque converter, vacuum modulator, accumulator, electronic shift control unit, transmission case, and oil pan are covered only if damaged by failure of a covered internally lubricated transmission component and condition.
Drive Axle (Front and Rear) - All internally lubricated components contained within the drive axle housing, plus the following: locking hubs, drive shafts, center support bearings, universal joints, constant velocity joints (except when damaged as a result of a torn or missing CV boot). Drive axle housing and differential cover are covered only if damaged by failure of a covered internally lubricated drive axle component.
Cooling System - Engine cooling fan and motor, water pump, and fan clutch.
Air Conditioning System - Condenser, compressor, evaporator, expansion valve, and blower motor. The following components are also covered if required in connection with the repair of a listed covered component: accumulator/receiver dryer and orifice tube.
Fuel System - Fuel delivery pump, fuel injection pump, and metal fuel delivery lines.
Electrical - Alternator, voltage regulator, starter motor, starter solenoid, ignition switch, front and rear window wiper motor and switch, washer pump and switch, headlamp switch, turn signal switch, rear defogger switch, heater/ A.C. blower speed switch, power window motor and switch, power door lock actuator and switch.
4X4 Transfer Case - All internal components that require lubrication for operation.
Car Rental &. Towing - A total of $150 for car rental and a total of $100 for towing.
Transferability - This warranty is transferable to a second owner of the vehicle or to a replacement engine and/or transmission, provided administrator is notified in writing, all acceptable maintenance records are reviewed and approved prior to the transfer, and a $100 transfer fee is paid.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome. Have you tried asking the warranty company directly about the IMS? From experience, my interpretation is pretty much worthless if the company thinks otherwise.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 PM
El Rorro
4th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by kromdom
Welcome. Have you tried asking the warranty company directly about the IMS? From experience, my interpretation is pretty much worthless if the company thinks otherwise.
Thank you. Happy to be here.
Yes. I agree that would be the unambiguous - hopefully - way to find out, but I keep thinking if that is in effect a way to alert them on the potential issue, and a reason for them to justify jacking up the quote or flat denying IMS coverage, in which case, to me, it would be of little value, since I tend to do most (minor) repairs myself.

I was hoping that somebody in this forum would know of case(s) where the warranty language was similar and whatever resulted from the corresponding claim.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

Upgrading to a ceramic intermediate shaft bearing might cost you less than the warranty!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rorro
Hi Everybody. New member/fisrt post here...

I have been lurking around this forum for a couple of weeks now, since I am in the market for a 996. I have found a couple of seemingly good examples of what I want, but nothing has come through so far. I will keep looking...

My question today revolves around extended warranties and their covering (or not) the IMS. I just got a quote that appears very reasonably priced, and states the below on covered parts. The question is: In your interpretation, would it cover the IMS issue? Yes, I know it is an internal engine part, but in its factory conception (before any retrofit) the bearing is sealed/does not get lubricated, and the bolt in it (which as far as I have read, fails too) would not be something that requires oil to function, would it?

I would appreciate your comments and guidance on this issue.

Covered Components - Deluxe
Engine - All internal components of the engine that require lubrication for operation. Harmonic balancer, engine block, cylinder heads, oil pan, and timing chain cover are also covered only if damaged by failure of a covered internally lubricated engine component and condition.
Transmission - All internal components of the transmission that require lubrication for operation. Torque converter, vacuum modulator, accumulator, electronic shift control unit, transmission case, and oil pan are covered only if damaged by failure of a covered internally lubricated transmission component and condition.
Drive Axle (Front and Rear) - All internally lubricated components contained within the drive axle housing, plus the following: locking hubs, drive shafts, center support bearings, universal joints, constant velocity joints (except when damaged as a result of a torn or missing CV boot). Drive axle housing and differential cover are covered only if damaged by failure of a covered internally lubricated drive axle component.
Cooling System - Engine cooling fan and motor, water pump, and fan clutch.
Air Conditioning System - Condenser, compressor, evaporator, expansion valve, and blower motor. The following components are also covered if required in connection with the repair of a listed covered component: accumulator/receiver dryer and orifice tube.
Fuel System - Fuel delivery pump, fuel injection pump, and metal fuel delivery lines.
Electrical - Alternator, voltage regulator, starter motor, starter solenoid, ignition switch, front and rear window wiper motor and switch, washer pump and switch, headlamp switch, turn signal switch, rear defogger switch, heater/ A.C. blower speed switch, power window motor and switch, power door lock actuator and switch.
4X4 Transfer Case - All internal components that require lubrication for operation.
Car Rental &. Towing - A total of $150 for car rental and a total of $100 for towing.
Transferability - This warranty is transferable to a second owner of the vehicle or to a replacement engine and/or transmission, provided administrator is notified in writing, all acceptable maintenance records are reviewed and approved prior to the transfer, and a $100 transfer fee is paid.
It would help to know the name of the company offering the coverage.

Many who are here have extended warranties (service contracts) and have experience good or bad to share.

You can also call around to various Porsche dealership service departments and Porsche indy shops and ask which 3rd party warranty companies they have dealt with in the past and how does this company compare?

Based on the wording of what you posted I would think the IMS and its bearing (ball or plain (at the other end)) would be covered along with any collateral damage a catastrophic failure of the IMS or bearing caused.

It is very important to know what servicing is required to keep the coverage in effect.

Even if the warranty company doesn't issue any guidelines, I would have to believe that proper servicing be done to the engine, if not the car.

No need to go all crazy and change the oil before every drive, but at least adhere to the oil/filter service schedule that is given in the owners manual.

Also to be safe, use an approved oil and a genuine Porsche filter element. IOWs, you might want to avoid using some discount filter element sold over the 'net.

Better yet, ask your local Porsche dealer/service department what if any new schedule is available for your car. Try to get this in writing, that is the service manager, or parts department manager or a senior tech can print out a copy of the TSB that changes the servicing schedule of your car.

Sometimes Porsche modifies the schedule in the owners manual. Porsche doesn't update the manual -- sometimes not even manuals for newer cars -- but does keep its dealer network informed of any changes.

My info from the parts department managers I talk to is your car's VIN is the key. All parts, fluids to use, quantities, etc, servicing intervals, is tied to a car's VIN.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 PM
El Rorro
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Upgrading to a ceramic intermediate shaft bearing might cost you less than the warranty!
Good point. That option is definitely under consideration as well. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM
El Rorro
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Macster
It would help to know the name of the company offering the coverage.

Many who are here have extended warranties (service contracts) and have experience good or bad to share.

You can also call around to various Porsche dealership service departments and Porsche indy shops and ask which 3rd party warranty companies they have dealt with in the past and how does this company compare?

Based on the wording of what you posted I would think the IMS and its bearing (ball or plain (at the other end)) would be covered along with any collateral damage a catastrophic failure of the IMS or bearing caused.

It is very important to know what servicing is required to keep the coverage in effect.

Even if the warranty company doesn't issue any guidelines, I would have to believe that proper servicing be done to the engine, if not the car.

No need to go all crazy and change the oil before every drive, but at least adhere to the oil/filter service schedule that is given in the owners manual.

Also to be safe, use an approved oil and a genuine Porsche filter element. IOWs, you might want to avoid using some discount filter element sold over the 'net.

Better yet, ask your local Porsche dealer/service department what if any new schedule is available for your car. Try to get this in writing, that is the service manager, or parts department manager or a senior tech can print out a copy of the TSB that changes the servicing schedule of your car.

Sometimes Porsche modifies the schedule in the owners manual. Porsche doesn't update the manual -- sometimes not even manuals for newer cars -- but does keep its dealer network informed of any changes.

My info from the parts department managers I talk to is your car's VIN is the key. All parts, fluids to use, quantities, etc, servicing intervals, is tied to a car's VIN.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks, Macster for the elaborate, thoughtful response. The company is Nationwide A&T Warranties.

What you mention about talking to the dealer makes perfect sense too, assuming they are willing to talk; which brings me to another related question. How amenable are P dealers to disclose maintenance/repairs/service records on a car that's not your own? Would it have to be the specific dealer that serviced the car, or is there some sort of national database to which any P dear would have access?

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had extended warranties both good and bad. The good one was from the dealer when I bought the car new. Never any problems or quibbling.

The bad one, a bumper to bumper warranty on a used car that seemed to never cover anything.

Take a copy of the warranty plan to your mechanic and ask him if the warranty does not cover typical things that a factory one would. A lot of times, these warranties have cute little stipulations that eliminate their responsibilities.

Remember, they only make money if your car does not need to have the repairs paid for by them.

Also, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK THE WARRANTY SELLER IF CERTAIN THINGS (IMS, RMS, WATER PUMP, AOS, ETC) ARE COVERED.

Because when they break, you will be asking then... I rather be told "no" before I buy the warranty.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
This this this! This is what I did.

I just couldn't justify buying a warranty from a most likely shady organization. No matter which one I looked into, the people giving the quotes weren't even the ones providing the service.

I don't trust any of them and at least so far I don't regret it one bit.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What I don't see in the section you posted is any mention of coverage for 'seals and gaskets.' In my experience, without that specific language many of the more common Porsche type engine problems will not be covered. Even with the IMS, the bearings themselves (which 'require lubrication for operation' and would be covered) do not actually fail; the seal in the bearing is what actually fails. A company could argue the distinction. Seals and gaskets is often extra-cost additional coverage.

Best approach is to talk with your local mechanic. They should have direct experience with most of the major companies and know which are reasonable to deal with and which are difficult.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rorro
Thanks, Macster for the elaborate, thoughtful response. The company is Nationwide A&T Warranties.

What you mention about talking to the dealer makes perfect sense too, assuming they are willing to talk; which brings me to another related question. How amenable are P dealers to disclose maintenance/repairs/service records on a car that's not your own? Would it have to be the specific dealer that serviced the car, or is there some sort of national database to which any P dear would have access?

Thanks again.
I have no knowledge, good or bad, about the company you named. Maybe someone else does?

Generally, I have found techs are willing to talk provided they are not busy, under a deadline to get a car out. I always ask the service manager first and always then ask if the tech has minute to spare to answer a specific question, or two or three, whatever I can get away with (I sometimes have a list...). At the first sign of becoming a nuisance, I excuse myself with a smile and a thank you. There's always another time.

Often I use the time I have my car in for something to ask questions about things that interest me. An ice breaker can be if you've had the car serviced there before and of course received good service show up with a dozen or so donuts (always err on the side of caution and have too many donuts!) around break time. Enjoy a cup of coffee, a donut, and talking about Porsches. Heaven.

I avoid taboo/sensitive subjects like dealer business info, asking just what percentage of cars have had an IMSB failure (Porsche knows but it doesn't tell the techs, nor anyone at any dealerships), things like that.

Sometimes things are said that are interesting, but I *always* keep these in strict confidence and thankfully am blessed with a short memory when it is prudent to have one, so they soon slip my mind.

No way a tech wants to learn you went to the GM and said so and so said model X has a crappy thingamabob and how Porsche never should have released the car with this and now mine's acting up and I want this covered out of warranty and for free.

But I have talked to the techs about after market warranties and they have told me that some -- make that all -- companies can be a real pain to deal with. The adjuster comes and has about a bazillion questions each one seeking to learn if there's any justification to deny the claim.

BTW, the techs are one's representative in a claim discussion. It helps to know beforehand how a company deals with a claim, what questions it asks, what it wants to know. From the warranty company's point of view it wants to avoid paying a claim that it is not liable for.

Which makes sense. Fraudulent warranty claims are not unknown.

About service records. The only time I have had any interest in these is when I'm researching a specific car. If the dealer serviced the car it will share with me the basic info of what was done, when. No previous owner names are given (and I never ask anyway).

If the car was serviced by another dealer, I'll call the dealer and with the car's VIN ask if it can share with me what servicing the car had and when. I might get something like "brake fluid flush/bleed, Oct 2008". I might get the miles, I might not. What I have say is the car's mileage and of course the current date. I can work out pretty close at what miles the service was done.

If you get a CarFax report on the car this can sometimes indicate in what areas the car spent some time. You can call dealers in those areas and see what you can learn about the car's servicing.

Remember what servicing a new car had in say 02 is not so important as what the condition of the car is now. I don't care if the engine oil was changed every 1K miles, if the engine's smoking like a chimney during a drug raid on a meth house, if the passenger side door paint still shows the imprint of the tree's bark from an impact, I don't want the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I can only speak from my experience with my after market warranty and my local porsche dealer for my imsb failure. The warranty company works very hard to reject any claim. The adjuster they sent sought the complete service history in an active effort to find a reason to deny the claim because they can cite a lack of active maintenance - I was fortunate enough that the car had every scheduled service done at the dealer and they had the records - and I had a service advisor that battled their adjuster every step of the way.

Then after the claim was approved they tried to screw me by only approving a used engine from a dismantler ( the fine print says they approve a like kind quality ). The dealer again went to battle for me by discounting the price of a new crate engine and even then I had to fork over a few thousand dollars to cover the difference.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I have Carefree Car Protection. Bought it from my dealer. They paid for my RMS, no hassles

Quick Reply: Question on Extended Warranties...