Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil analysis report - high iron, copper, and magnesium. Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

And thats why I am checking out from forum contributions. I see the worst of the worst and nothing comes to us just needing "service work".
Jr, please dont bail on us just because of some of the comments. My M96 knowledge inceases everytime you post. I hope one day you wil consider selling some of your mods in kit form for DIY'ers.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
70Sixter
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
You need to check the vacuum readings within the crankcase, it sounds like you have a weak/ failing AOS as this is the first symptom thats usually apparent.
This effects fuel trim values and impacts engine management.

The ONLY copper within these engines is the dermis layer of the rod and main bearings. Iron high followed by copper being high is classic and we know what causes it. Here is a picture from my study that shows this very clearly. The engine studied had 47K miles on it, was one owner, never tracked and always serviced. The classic recipe for unexpected failures. We saved this one and I am testing it after reassembly as we speak.
That is my engine. Jake has been great. He said to park the car after oil analysis showed copper and aluminum. Fortunately I did. Two more analyses confirmed bearing wear. Followed by tear down, repair, replacements, and upgrades.
Thank you Jake!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

70Sixter,
The car is done.. 450 test miles, perfect performance.. And an IMS Solution is now installed :-)
Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 70Sixter
That is my engine. Jake has been great. He said to park the car after oil analysis showed copper and aluminum. Fortunately I did. Two more analyses confirmed bearing wear. Followed by tear down, repair, replacements, and upgrades.
Thank you Jake!
Thanks for letting us know and glad to hear Jake caught it in time. What were the copper and aluminum levels before the teardown?b TIA
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Thanks for letting us know and glad to hear Jake caught it in time. What were the copper and aluminum levels before the teardown?b TIA
Low to mid 20s. We got lucky, I've never been able to save an engine from a UOA before.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Low to mid 20s. We got lucky, I've never been able to save an engine from a UOA before.
Thanks, Jake. Was the aluminum level also at low to mid 20s as well or just the copper?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:23 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ahsai, why dont you just pull a sample every 1 or 2K to see whats going on? Did you flush and switch to JG?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KrazyK:10229628
Ahsai, why dont you just pull a sample every 1 or 2K to see whats going on? Did you flush and switch to JG?
KK, I plan to do that in 3k. Maybe a shorter oil change interval will help. No, I have not tried DT40 yet. Will wait for the next uoa first. Engine is quiet, smooth and strong so not too concerned for now.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Engine is quiet, smooth and strong so not too concerned for now.
So was Mike's. There are times when fixing something that isn't broken (yet) is the smart thing to do. One thing is for sure, it won't heal it's self and it won't go away. If your UOA is accurate, you have a problem and you better find it, before it finds you.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

So was Mike's. There are times when fixing something that isn't broken (yet) is the smart thing to do. One thing is for sure, it won't heal it's self and it won't go away. If your UOA is accurate, you have a problem and you better find it, before it finds you.
Jake, how much will I save if I rebuild it now as opposed to later when and if it blows up?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Jake, how much will I save if I rebuild it now as opposed to later when and if it blows up?
Thats impossible to answer accurately.. BUT right now your situation is just a repair and its elective. At minimum you are saving tow bills and the reality that something always happens when you both don't expect it and when its least convenient.

When this happens I do know that the cost of admission increases by around 4-6K since the whole core gets thrown away.

Once wear starts the clearances open, the oil pressure drops (resistance to flow is reduced) and then its a snowball headed to hell. Mike was really, really lucky.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Thats impossible to answer accurately.. BUT right now your situation is just a repair and its elective. At minimum you are saving tow bills and the reality that something always happens when you both don't expect it and when its least convenient.

When this happens I do know that the cost of admission increases by around 4-6K since the whole core gets thrown away.

Once wear starts the clearances open, the oil pressure drops (resistance to flow is reduced) and then its a snowball headed to hell. Mike was really, really lucky.
Thanks Jake. When you say "just a repair", we need to split the case to fix the bearings, right? I would assume that's no different than doing a full rebuild since most likely there will be lots of "while we are there" stuff to replace. As you said before, you don't rebuild engines, you reconstruct them. So practically the worst difference is basically the core. Is my understanding correct? Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

No one knows the definition of "rebuild". To me it means sloppy procedures and going back together with marginal components.
We did not rebuild or reconstruct Mike's engine because it just needed a repair and it saved him a ton of money. We replaced a lot of parts while we were in there..
Mike's car had less than 50k miles so it didn't need everything that we do. We saved him a ton of cash.

Considering what we see, just receiving an engine that's able to run under its own power when it arrives here is a special occurrence. Dealing with something before it breaks is a privilege. We are proficient enough to tear the entire engine down, repair it and put it all back together and test it inside of one week. No one else you'll talk to will give you this option, because they will lose tons of money doing the work, because they lack capability and proficiency at this level.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

OK.... just to get this straight.

A perfectly running engine with moderately elevated copper values reported on a mail-in oil analysis is doomed... Just waiting for the con-rods to come crashing through the engine block.
The following users liked this post:
DSC800 (02-28-2021)
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pfbz
OK.... just to get this straight.

A perfectly running engine with moderately elevated copper values reported on a mail-in oil analysis is doomed... Just waiting for the con-rods to come crashing through the engine block.
If those elevated values are real, the rod bearings will continue to wear. At that point the engine will have a notable symptom but if action is not taken the rod bolts can easily break and send a rod through the block as a worst case scenario.

Mike had no symptoms at all other than his UOA and then when the car arrived here we did more UOA (wear metals were up 12% even with only 500 mi on the oil) and a visual inspection of the oil sump and filter that did not yield any findings. We worked on his car off and on for a month before we made a hypothesis and started taking it apart. The root of his evil started with camshaft lobe wear that then spread through the engine.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis report - high iron, copper, and magnesium. Should I be concerned?