Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil analysis report - high iron, copper, and magnesium. Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Question Oil analysis report - high iron, copper, and magnesium. Should I be concerned?

Just got my first oil analysis report. Oil is Motul x-cess 5w-40, had ~5,000 miles on it and car has almost 50k miles. TBN=6.7 (TBN=10.9 for virgin oil)

Both iron and copper seem to be quite higher. Magnesium is ~10 times higher than normal! Never any engine work. Oil and oil filter changed every 5k-7k miles/every yr, whichever comes first.

Should I be concerned? What engine parts contain copper?

E90745-edited2.pdf

TIA
Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Just got my first oil analysis report. Oil is Motul x-cess 5w-40, had ~5,000 miles on it and car has almost 50k miles. TBN=6.7 (TBN=10.9 for virgin oil)

Both iron and copper seem to be quite higher. Magnesium is ~10 times higher than normal! Never any engine work. Oil and oil filter changed every 5k-7k miles/every yr, whichever comes first.

Should I be concerned? What engine parts contain copper?

Attachment 608769

TIA
Copper is a bearing metal; main, rod bearing inserts, or valve guides.

Iron (ferrous metals) of course can come from crank/rod bearing journals, IMS bearing coming apart, piston walls -- the walls are covered/treated with an iron coating to prevent the alum. piston walls from galling from contact with the alum. of the cylinder walls.

However, if the the IMS bearing were going bad the amount of say chromium or manganese would be up too since the IMS bearing's composition is probably SAE 52100 bearing steel which contains carbon, chrome, iron, manganese, phosphorus, silicon, and sulphur, though the amounts the of the last 4 items is tiny compared to the 1st 3 items.

Magnesium is an additive component. Some oils have a very heavy additive package and maybe this oil is one...?

Yep. From the analysis sheet the oil looks like it is additive rich. Calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc levels are all pretty high.

The oil analysis comments didn't indicate any reason for alarm. I also note it points out the universal averages are for oils with 4K miles and your oil had a bit over 5K miles. I suspect that an oil's degradation is not linear so that extra 1K miles might play a larger role in the amount of stuff in the oil.

You might want to consider adhering to a 4K mile oil change next time and see what an analysis turns up, to see if the amounts of the various things in the oil fall closer to the universal averages.

If they do it might suggest the oil you are using is not quite up to 5K/7K mile change intervals given your driving style, climatic conditions, and other factors that affect oil service life.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Macster for the very informative and detailed reply. The magnesium is only "13" in the vigin oil I sent them so not sure why the magnesium level in the used oil is so high at "1048" when the avg should be closer to "149". Already sent them an email to check if it's a data entry error (hope so).

4k for the next report is an excellant suggestion. Will do that and keep an eye on the iron/copper.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:51 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you add two and a half quarts of oil in that time period..?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KNS
Did you add two and a half quarts of oil in that time period..?
Yes, that's how much oil my engine uses ~1 qt/1,600 miles
Old 02-18-2012, 01:16 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What Macster said.

Many oils, especially high quality ones and motorcycle specific contain sacrificial alloys made from metallic elements and compounds. Many labs will want to know this beforehand and will make allowances on the report. It used to be that labs would make adjustments for Kendall oil because of all the metal in it when new.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nick49
What Macster said.

Many oils, especially high quality ones and motorcycle specific contain sacrificial alloys made from metallic elements and compounds. Many labs will want to know this beforehand and will make allowances on the report. It used to be that labs would make adjustments for Kendall oil because of all the metal in it when new.
Thanks, Nick. However, the magnesium in the virgin oil I turned in was only "13".
Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if your burning that much oil your engine is slowly on its way out... that much oil usage is a sign of a loose engine.... it's probably pretty fast right? they get fast when they are loose... also I see you have x74 and porsche sport pads... so you are tracking as well... how many track days do you have on that oil sample..?

your iron and copper rates are high and yes they are reason for concern...
if your tracking change your oil every 4 track days

what kind of oil was that on?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

your metal wear levels are high and are reason for concern IMHO.

I see you run x74 and sport pads so I assume your tracking...

how many track days do you have on that oil sample?

your engine is burning that much oil because it has become loose... loose engine run fast but it's a sign of an engine on its way out... pistons are ova-ling and as a result you are burning more oil...

my recommendation here is to change the oil every 4 track days max.... you can leave it in for 4K like Macster says and also try Castrol 5W50 - I bet your oil burn rate will drop but the real indicator is the metal wear... not good and you want to manage that sooner than later...

if you really want to splurge on great oil go for the Motul 300V 5W40; but I would try the castrol 5W50 first because it may reduce your burn rate and give you lower wear numbers....

let us know how it works out
Old 02-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

No tracking and the car is my daily drive (local roads). Oil is Motul x-cess 5w-40. 1qt/1,600 miles is not uncommon for these cars and it's been doing that since I bought it (at 2500 miles). Car has ~50k miles now and it's running like a champ.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

ok the metal wear is certainly an anomaly especially if your not tracking... try castrol 5W50 for the next 4000 miles and see what the UOA tells you.... I use that oil my my c2 (and track the car aggressively) and my wear levels are nowhere near what your generating... your levels are 5-6 times higher than what I'm getting although I only have 20K miles on my engine... don't know if age is a factor here. I'm willing to bet it's your oil and with the Castrol I think your oil usage will go down as well...
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is ONE used oil report. It won't really tell you much. You have no idea if your wear metals are going up, down, or holding steady. Regardless, your iron and copper are sky high.
Attached Images
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

yes I agree... continued UOA's will spot trends for sure
Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

deleted
Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to have an internet link to a very good write up on engine oils with very in depth look at motorcycle oils. There are many additives for varying reasons.

What would be nice is to know what the standard common wear particles expected to be in an oil sample for a 996 or other engines during different stages of the engines life. An explanation of whats breaking down considering the particles found in an oil sample would be nice also.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis report - high iron, copper, and magnesium. Should I be concerned?