Kind of OT: Saw the 991 in person last night

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:51 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Kind of OT: Saw the 991 in person last night

I attended the local launch event at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte to check out the 991. I've read all of the online reviews and of course like anything new they have been mixed.

The event was nicely put as they had a red carpet out for us and drinks plus appetizers. They let the PCA members in 30 minutes earlier so we were able to get a sneak peak in one of the service bays before the general public.

From the casual observer's perspective, it doesn't appear to be that much different than the 997. I know as an enthusiast we will see the differences but unless you have an eye for it, it still looks like a Carerra. The interior was nicely optioned so as a daily driver I would love to be behind the wheel. As a track car though, I'd rather take the 964 RS America they had parked out front as one of the six other generations of 911s that they were displaying.

The sticker on this one was $122k...ouch! But it really is a gorgeous car even if you can't see the engine. I was pretty happy to be behind the wheel

Now to make this relevant to the 996 board, after I got my car back from the valet, my oil pressure gauge was bouncing around! Now given that my car was probably one of the lowest in horsepower of those in attendance yesterday, I don't think it was abused but who knows. It was acting strange the whole drive back home.

This morning though it appeared to be ok but I guess I have to do a search and see what I need to fix...

A couple of pics:
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 991 looks very much like a 911. I like the car....and if I had $122K to spend on a car it would be top of my list.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveSpeed
I think the 991 looks very much like a 911. I like the car....and if I had $122K to spend on a car it would be top of my list.
That's my thought as well.

Just think you can buy an entire city block in Detroit for less than a new 911!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

I went to our launch last week. I liked the car a lot. They had 8 cars on the floor, ranging from a 73 RS to the 991, it was nicely done.

I'm still adjusting to my new (to me) 996. I drove an 83 for 3 years and the 996 feels soft and huge, but I'm getting more comfortable each drive. As the 911 progresses it "evolves". As much as they change they're still the same; a beautiful sports car.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Fernando, I think your 996 was angry at you. I have been looking at a second car to replace my 00 Cab, and wouldnt you know, as I closed the drivers door on the Cab tonight at a VW dealership, somehow my frickin index finger got caught and now I have a nice black and blue cracked finger!!

Last edited by 2K7TTMIA; 02-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I bought four of them. One each for me , my wife, and my two sons. When I went to reach into my pocket for my checkbook, I realized I was naked. A short time later, the alarm clock went off.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Now to make this relevant to the 996 board, after I got my car back from the valet, my oil pressure gauge was bouncing around! Now given that my car was probably one of the lowest in horsepower of those in attendance yesterday, I don't think it was abused but who knows. It was acting strange the whole drive back home.

This morning though it appeared to be ok but I guess I have to do a search and see what I need to fix...
On a related note, my wife was perfectly happy with me until she found me staring at other hot new models at a strip club. Before I went everything was good. Then, somehow, she saw me walk out and acted strange the whole drive home. I don't understand why she changed all of the sudden.

Lol at Bill's dream.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mickey356
I went to our launch last week. I liked the car a lot. They had 8 cars on the floor, ranging from a 73 RS to the 991, it was nicely done.

I'm still adjusting to my new (to me) 996. I drove an 83 for 3 years and the 996 feels soft and huge, but I'm getting more comfortable each drive. As the 911 progresses it "evolves". As much as they change they're still the same; a beautiful sports car.
I had a 944 S2 for quite some time before moving to the 996. I also felt it was much softer and bigger than my previous vehicle. But even so it still has superior performance and a few additional modern amenities (like a working air conditioner!).

It's my understanding the soft nature of our cars can be easily transformed just by changing out the suspension. Mine is still stock but if I keep it that's my next move.

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
Fernando, I think your 996 was angry at you. I have been looking at a second car to replace my 00 Cab, and wouldnt you know, as I closed the drivers door on the Cab tonight at a VW dealership, somehow my frickin index finger got caught and now I have a nice black and blue cracked finger!!
Years ago I lived in Tampa, FL and I was really wanting a Porsche. At that time the 968s were getting down into my price range. So I went to a dealer to test drive one and loved it. On the way home my always reliable 1992 VW GTi decided to just completely die on me on the return trip. I think it knew what I was thinking.

The repairs set me back quite a bit so I held off on the Porsche purchase until I moved to NYC and was able to purchase my 944 S2.

In the end I had to sell it as a non-running vehicle because when I was in the process of moving to New York it blew the engine!

So yeah, I think cars know when something is going on. Between my test drive of the turbo from a couple of weeks ago to being quite impressed by the 991, my Cabrio is getting a little jealous!

Originally Posted by wyovino
I bought four of them. One each for me , my wife, and my two sons. When I went to reach into my pocket for my checkbook, I realized I was naked. A short time later, the alarm clock went off.
I can't even begin to tell you the types of dreams I have before the alarm clock goes off...

Do you know how many times I've woken up so disappointed that the joy of winning the lottery wasn't actually real? Talk about crashing back down to earth!

Originally Posted by Divot
On a related note, my wife was perfectly happy with me until she found me staring at other hot new models at a strip club. Before I went everything was good. Then, somehow, she saw me walk out and acted strange the whole drive home. I don't understand why she changed all of the sudden.

Lol at Bill's dream.
And that's the reason we mostly refer to our vehicles as females! Why else would they be so temperamental???
Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry, but I still cannot get over that sunroof design!!! Looks so bolt in with it opening from the outside.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if the dealer will let you and your friends test all the features
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pac996
Does that really work?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, found out yesterday after wondering for a long time that it does in fact work. I didn't try that bottle from the side and not sure if it would fit that way. There does seem to be slippage and multiple attempts needed at this printing......or should I say under the conditions yesterday evening.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:44 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reborn996
Sorry, but I still cannot get over that sunroof design!!! Looks so bolt in with it opening from the outside.
I'm surprised by it too. Everything else seems to be so thoroughly thought out yet with the sunroof they go back to the 944 design!

Originally Posted by Pac996
Love that feature

...as long as I don't forget to remove the bottle when closing the door!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM
white99c2
Racer

I saw one this morning at Porsche North Scottsdale. I love it and agree its all 911. I work in sales at a luxury car dealer in Phoenix and I'm lucky that our owner lets me play an active roll in the cars we bid on at the simulcast of the Manheim action. In December we were bidding on David Beckham's 911 Turbo and gave up at $109k. Scottsdale Porsche won the car and it's on the floor there. I'll edit this post in a minute from my laptop and post pics of that Turbo, it really is like no other. If I could have anything, I want that Turbo but I do love the 991, it's the lap of luxury and a 911 in one.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Just saw my first 991 on the corner of 44th and Madison in NYC. No plates, wheels filthy, parked 3 feet from the curb....and the keys in the ignition. Strange.

Quick Reply: Kind of OT: Saw the 991 in person last night