Sponsored by:

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts
Default water pump

how often should the water pump be replaced...seems to be several views on this. also what type of (blade)pump

Last edited by groovzilla; 01-30-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

the closest consensus I found from reading around is to replace the WP as a preventive measure, regardless of symptoms every 60K miles

This DIY How-To used an OEM unit (looks plastic to me): http://p-car.com/996/diy/waterpump/
P.S. The WP is NOT addressed specifically in any of the major maintenance intervals: http://www.renntech.org/forums/maint/maint_us_mj_02/
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Recent Excellence suggests every 40k miles. OEM has plastic blades, some aftermarket has metal blades.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

I agree and just had mine replaced at 62k. My water pump was good but did it for preventive maintenance. Also the 997 water pump is now spec'ed for the 996 replacement. I had it done at RUF and that's what they put in.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 PM
100plus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
the closest consensus I found from reading around is to replace the WP as a preventive measure, regardless of symptoms every 60K miles

This DIY How-To used an OEM unit (looks plastic to me): http://p-car.com/996/diy/waterpump/
P.S. The WP is NOT addressed specifically in any of the major maintenance intervals: http://www.renntech.org/forums/maint/maint_us_mj_02/
+100 on preventive measure
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Well, once again I think I'm on the opposite side.

What I have found works for me is to replace the water pump when it needs it.

Now I have not owned a 996 and may be these cars go through water pumps like crazy but I have an 02 Boxster and its original water pump lasted over 170K miles. I have put another 80K miles on the replacement water pump (factory pump) and it seems to be working just fine.

My 03 Turbo has just over 86K miles and its original water pump is working just fine too.

If I followed the recommended replacement intervals for water pumps, starters, clutches, alternators, and god only knows what else, I would have spent a fortune unnecessarily on my cars. (I have for instance a set of spare serpentine belt idler rollers and tensioner for my Boxster. Bought these years ago. I have not had to take then out of their baggies.)

And there's no guarantee the new part will prove to be ok. That's why Porsche offers a 2 year parts warranty on new parts.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

appreciate the feedback
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, once again I think I'm on the opposite side.

What I have found works for me is to replace the water pump when it needs it.

If I followed the recommended replacement intervals for water pumps, starters, clutches, alternators, and god only knows what else, I would have spent a fortune unnecessarily on my cars. And there's no guarantee the new part will prove to be ok. That's why Porsche offers a 2 year parts warranty on new parts.

Sincerely,

Macster.
^^ +1 ^^
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

As usual, I'm with Macster. I replaced mine at 110k miles when it needed it. I ordered the pump from a dealer and the part I received had metal impellers. I know plenty of people have received plastic.

-Shawn
Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

The PO had the pump replaced at 80k miles as a preventative measure. The replacement failed at 116K. The part appeared to be an aftermarket one, although it was hard to tell. I purchased a new pump from Sunset for $222 last fall.

If my engine makes it to 160k or about 45k miles on the pump, that is when I plan on changing it out. It isn't worth 200 bucks to get stranded.

Now it is time to change out the original coolant reservoir and cap. I can't believe they have lasted this long!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

BEST CASE SCENARIO: car gives enough "warnings" or symptoms that WP is about to crap out so owner is able to fix/repair.

I have read about some owners who had ZERO warnings (or maybe some ignored the clues or were simply CLUEless) who then had to deal with a catastrophic failure.

I am leaning towards taking a vigilant/wait-and-see stance like Macster above (have 63K miles on original WP: no noises, drips or wiggle/jiggle so far)
Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

70K on my Turbo with no signs of trouble. How hard is it to change or is it one of those things it best to just have someone else do it?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine just failed at the impeller shaft, leaking water onto the garage floor overnight. My car, a MY2000 model had 132,000 miles on it when that happened, and it was an original pump. When I pulled it, the plastic vanes were perfect. No signs of any wear at all. I replaced it with another Porsche water pump.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Waterpump replacement is somewhat north of $1000 so, no, this is really not a "maintenance" item. Unfortunately, just like with every other car, the waterpump WILL fail at the most inopportune time and leave you stranded. In the middle of South Carolina. On a Sunday. OK, maybe that was just me ... but still.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by LordVicious
Waterpump replacement is somewhat north of $1000 so, no, this is really not a "maintenance" item. Unfortunately, just like with every other car, the waterpump WILL fail at the most inopportune time and leave you stranded. In the middle of South Carolina. On a Sunday. OK, maybe that was just me ... but still.
Just you.

The water pump in my Boxster failed, or that is I noticed the noise and diagnosed it to a probable water pump problem in my parking space. Had the car flat bedded to Walnut Creek Porsche dealer for water pump R&R.

The fuel pump quit at the same location. I started the engine and backed the car up about half a car length out of the parking space then the engine died. It almost restarted but then nothing. Had the car flat bedded to Livermore Porsche and after diagnosis the fuel pump was R&R'd.

Oh, and the coolant tank too. I thought a radiator fan was not running so I pulled the car in to my parking space after a bit of drive around the neighborhood (to really get the engine up to temp) and after backing the car in and raising the rpms to cause the fans to switch on I got out of the car and determined the passenger side radiator fan was not running.

At this time I noticed on the pavement a trail of what proved to be coolant. Walking to the rear of the car to check the coolant level I spotted coolant pouring from the car.

In this case I waited until the car was completely cold then started the engine and drove the car the 2 or so miles to the Livermore Porsche dealer.

The only thing that has failed on the Boxster away from home is the 2nd AOS. It failed -- eventually -- 2K miles form home but thankfully just 90 miles from Aristocrat Motors in Merriam KS where I had the 1st AOS attended to when it failed (at home thought at that time home was in Oak Grove Mo).

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: water pump