Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

If you have not changed your manual trans fluid in your 996, you should!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012 | 08:39 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Default If you have not changed your manual trans fluid in your 996, you should!

It is my belief that the up until yesterday, the manual trans fluid had never been changed in my car. My 03 has 49,5XX miles on it and of course it is now getting close to being 10 years old (build date was 10/02).

I changed the fluid yesterday using the Porsche factory fluid (which is highly recommended).

Changing out the fluid was a breeze with a manual pump that screws right on to the top of the bottles. You need 2.7 liters so you need to buy 3, 1 liter bottles if you buy the Porsche product.

The difference is substantial. Shifting is smoother, the trans is more quiet, and overall feel of the car is improved.

The old fluid came out looking very clean and amber in color. That doesn't mean that the fluid had the original viscosity or that it didn't have mild water contamination, or small metal deposits from wearing synchros.

Porsche says that you should change the fluid every 90,000 miles.

Given that most don't put 90,000 in the first 10 years of ownership, like Porsches oil change recommendation, I would cut those times/mileages in half.

Just really suprised by the difference and If you are sporting a 99-04 car and the trans fluid has never been changed, regardless of mileage, I would change it.
Old 01-30-2012 | 08:44 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

I didn't notice much of a change at all when I changed mine last fall with oem fluid as well. But I agree on changing it!
Old 01-30-2012 | 09:17 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Is there a DIY for this process somewhere?
Old 01-30-2012 | 11:03 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Not for MANUAL trans but might give you an idea: http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...ssion-service/
Old 01-30-2012 | 11:16 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frisbee91
it's so easy its sad. 1 fill plug on the side of the trans, 1 drain plug on the bottom of the trans. You need a 10MM allen socket on a rachet, the new fluid, a plastic fluid pump that will screw onto the 3, 1 liter bottles, and a drain pan. It's easier than an oil change.

The only draw back is the new & old oil stink. I forgot how bad gear oil tends to smell.
Old 01-30-2012 | 11:50 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Yeah pretty simple heh

Correction to earlier post... there is a manual gearbox change instruction on renntech.org... if it really needs one:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-instructions/
Old 01-30-2012 | 11:59 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soverystout
it's so easy its sad. 1 fill plug on the side of the trans, 1 drain plug on the bottom of the trans. You need a 10MM allen socket on a rachet, the new fluid, a plastic fluid pump that will screw onto the 3, 1 liter bottles, and a drain pan. It's easier than an oil change...
Thanks for the info. What "plastic fluid pump" did you use?

I plan to do this in the spring, when the weather gets warmer. Wait, maybe this weekend, since it's been a freakishly warm January
Old 01-30-2012 | 12:06 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Any autozone or advance will carry the pump you need for about $5. Just ask for a gear oil hand pump. It's basically an oversized hand soap pump with a hose on the nozzle to snake into the trans fill hole.
Old 01-30-2012 | 12:09 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

+1 to above, that's the tool I've used... very simple.
Old 01-30-2012 | 12:51 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

I have changed my manual transmission fluid a couple times in the past 13 years (81,000 miles), regardless of the recommendation to wait until 90,000 miles. Just can't stand the thought of small metal mixing it up with my gears and synchros. If you accidentally ground a transmission gear even once, those metal pieces are floating around in there. Easy Peasy DIY.
Old 01-30-2012 | 04:38 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

can someone post the recommended transmission oil reference ? can it be bought at the local autozone or did you order from porsche dealer ?
Old 01-30-2012 | 04:58 PM
dotframe
Pro

I don't want to turn this into another oil thread but I ended up just getting "oem" fluid from the dealer.

Sometimes my dealer's prices are reasonable...this time they weren't. I bent over and lubed up when I bought 3 liters at the dealer. I'd recommend ordering online if you can find it.

Originally Posted by philooo
can someone post the recommended transmission oil reference ? can it be bought at the local autozone or did you order from porsche dealer ?
Old 01-30-2012 | 05:15 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

In this case, I really think it is important to use the correct stuff:

3 bottles of this is what you need.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=996Trans
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2012 | 08:00 PM
Kazual99
Pro

I changed mine awhile back when I purchased the car two years ago, and I'm going to change it again in two weeks. You may ask, why is he changing it again.....simply put, I used gear oil from Autozone and I now realize it was not the correct oil even if it was Mobile 1and the correct viscosity.
Old 01-30-2012 | 08:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Just to add that an early fluid change for Tip equipped cars is a good idea, too.

What happens is the Tip starts to act up. Then a fluid change is decided upon as a fingers crossed hope to die this makes the Tip all better again.

What my sources tell me is more often than not the fluid change sends the Tip over the edge. It is up the owner but it might be better to not change the Tip fluid once the Tip has started to act up.

The *best* solution is to have the Tip fluid changed *before* the Tip starts to act up.

My techs tell me a good compromise is to cut the factory recommended fluid change interval in half or thereabouts. Instead of at 90K miles, do it at 45K miles or perhaps at 60K miles if one can't stand the thought of changing the fluid that 'early' at 45K miles.

If you need some motivation to have the fluid changed at even 60K miles (or even at 90K miles) price a new Tip or a rebuilt one then price a fluid change.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: If you have not changed your manual trans fluid in your 996, you should!