Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

If you have not changed your manual trans fluid in your 996, you should!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012 | 08:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by soverystout
In this case, I really think it is important to use the correct stuff:

3 bottles of this is what you need.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=996Trans
FWIW, the factory fill is made by Shell Oil....
Old 01-31-2012 | 08:56 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macster
Just to add that an early fluid change for Tip equipped cars is a good idea, too.

What happens is the Tip starts to act up. Then a fluid change is decided upon as a fingers crossed hope to die this makes the Tip all better again.

What my sources tell me is more often than not the fluid change sends the Tip over the edge. It is up the owner but it might be better to not change the Tip fluid once the Tip has started to act up.

The *best* solution is to have the Tip fluid changed *before* the Tip starts to act up.

My techs tell me a good compromise is to cut the factory recommended fluid change interval in half or thereabouts. Instead of at 90K miles, do it at 45K miles or perhaps at 60K miles if one can't stand the thought of changing the fluid that 'early' at 45K miles.

If you need some motivation to have the fluid changed at even 60K miles (or even at 90K miles) price a new Tip or a rebuilt one then price a fluid change.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I agree with this. After the fact is almost always too late. Preventative maintenance is key!

Quick Reply: If you have not changed your manual trans fluid in your 996, you should!