996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FS 996 C2 - how much is it worth ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Phil:
Throw your buyer's net out as far and wide as you can throw it. As has been suggested to you, take out the roll bar (fairly easy) and swap out the GT3 seats. (you might want to put them in your new GT3). A buyer won't pay you extra for those and the "track presence" may scare off many potential buyers. They are worth more to you if sold on RL, 6 speed, etc. I wouldn't bother with the changing the sway bars, too much time/work/$$$. If you change back the shocks, then it will require a fresh alignment, I wouldn't bother with this either. The GT3 brake ducts are an inexpensive mod, removal is a snap, if you leave 'em no big deal. Take out the chase cam, tho.
You car appears to be mint and well maintained. That will be the strongest selling features along with the low miles. Best of luck to you with the sale and good luck in the hunt for the GT3. I would be pysched to know what you ultimatley wind up with.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, You should buy it and turn your C2 into a track slave...
Or, I should buy it so I can stop driving Luda's Cayenne.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a transferable warranty is what you have that adds value, the suspension is good and even the seats and harness bar, but all of those together make a nice package. Go to kbb.com, edmunds.com, and nada.com get the retail/private party sale prices between the three and average them. That will make a realistic price close to what you want and close to what a buyer should pay.

You may think $35K is perfect for your car, and the dealer may offer $18K as a trade in which are both hypothetical numbers, but the average of the three numbers those sites give you is probably fair.

I am selling my car, and I'd love to sell it for $27K or even $28K, but using the average of the three worked for me and I have a NICE car, with good records.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great car with great mods, BUT as everybody pointed out... try and get out as many mods as you can out of car and put it back to stock. The fact that car seems well documented (with window sticker) helps.

I will say high $20ks ($29k~) without all the mods (seats, bars, suspension??, wheels) if possible.

I think positing on Ebay or Autotrader will get more attention also

GLWS
Old 01-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You have sweet looking 996, what do you think your car is worth? Some will like your mods, others won't. Before removing any of them, I'd advertise your Porsche as is and see what reaction potential buyers have as it sits. You can always adjust your price accordingly either way. I hope you sell it so we can see your GT3.GLWS Phil.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Agree

Remove the GT3 Seats and other easily removed mods to get back to the MSRP invoice options.

Some may recall this car which I bought from X51 in Omaha:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...1+carrera+2002

This would be a comparable car with some differences but the replaced IMS is a big positive to someone who would know. Also, I have someone who asked today about an Anniversary 2004 and he should definitely look at your car. If you email me 997.alex (AT) gmail.com I will gladly put him in contact with you. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Still love the car but I feel like buying something new

So the car is now for sale.

Rennlist price (firm): $35k with the mods (gt3 seats, traqmate, tequipment bar and all)

I'll see if I have any luck, if not I'll start the de-moding.. and update price.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
It's very hard to price aftermarket mods into a car's value unless you find just the right buyer. Some people will love them and others will be turned off. For example, I wouldn't expect to get more for your car because of the wheels. You might find someone who opts for you car over another C2 they're looking at because the other C2 doesn't have them. Then again, someone might see it as a deal killer and prefer the original wheels. Either way, in my opinion, you're apt to make more money on most of the mods (wheels, seats, cam, etc.) if you pull them and sell them separately.

MkII C2s are routinely trading in the $28-30K range. Your car has low mileage, looks like it has been very well maintained and does have some nice add-ons. I'd price it over the average (in the low $30s) and see who bites. I don't know how much you paid but $30K is probably a decent price for it...but sell the mods separately and you'll make out much better.

Others will disagree with me and point out that you can get a Turbo for $35K. Dare I say, "whatever?" Just remember, you can always take less but you can't ever ask for more.

Just my $.02,
-Eric
I have to agree with Eric here. I would be put off with the seats which tells me that the car was either tracked or at least hammered by some young wanna be racing car driver. Not that the car wouldnt stand up to being hammered but this is still a 996 and they sell for much less than other 911 models. The wide wheels wouldnt put me off one bit. BUT I would be more inclined to look seriously into a stock looking car than one that had been zooped up in any way. ( but thats just me).. I would be thinking. 'So where else has the PO been tampering'. Maybe in the electrical department, then I would be put off. As it is you could ask 38K and settle at 35K. But if someone had 35K maybe they would be looking at a newer model. If it doesn't sell then return to stock and price it at 30K.. Whichever way, good luck on your deal
Old 06-11-2014, 05:38 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

ok the car will be back for sale shortly I think.

since then I got the aerobat installed, all factory brand new parts, costed me something like $7k or so, painted and installed by dealer

tons of high resolutions pictures at this link, taken a month ago:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m9tp2r7zr...8nJbKZTku8a?m=

RMS went out and replaced under warranty along with slave cylinder. IMS not leaking and clutch has plenty of life left. Also done at the dealership.

odometer: 45,000 miles on it.
Still 6 month of the extended warranty, until october I believe.

Everything working perfectly. check my post on the forum for more details on the car.

I have the will wood hitch system installed on the car.

How much do you think it is worth as it is ?

I bet I will have to part it out so far the only aftermarket item on the car are the equipment roll bar and the euro gt3 seats.

As for the gizmos I have:
- dension 500 to connect ipod to factory audio system
- fisterD exhaust
- high flow catalytic converters
- RoW M030 suspension, +- 15,000 miles on them
- braided brake lines
- willwood hitch with all the proper electrical connections
- bumper plug color matched door lock ...plugs

a tons of other stuff I'll have to sell in my garage as spare wheels and parts ;S
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2014, 12:17 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

damn Phil, the car looks wicked with the .2 aero bits. I hope you can recover most of the cost if you sell. In the meantime we should meet at HMS once more for a final thrashing... stay in touch eh?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes it does. Very purposeful, with attitude. GLWS. What are you driving now?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

this is not my daily driver, I still love the car and really have a hard time thinking of selling it but prices seems to have gone up substantially so may be time to sell for me.

I don't think I'll get the money for the aerobat so I will most likely retrofit the wing and front bumper to OEM it is a very easy job and these pieces are very pricey so hopefully i will find a buyer in here. Side skirts are the only thing I will leave on as I don't want to risk having scratched paint underneath and these are cheap anyways.

If someone is looking for a super clean aerobat car, PM me, this is a really nice car, no expense spared and has always be sea reliable to me.

I think I had 10 track days since I own the car and I always came back home with a smile and not even a drop of oil needed to top it off. But I don't want to ginx it LOL.

oh I also had the water pump replaced under warranty, but caught it very early during my routine checks and it did not leave me stranded.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a great looking car. Great mods, well done.

That's easily a $30K 996... if you can find the right buyer. And that's a big if unfortunately. Hard to finance as it's over 10 years. Plus, the real value of the car is creeping up to nice 03-04 C4S level, making it tough. The best 996 C2 is not worth more than a comparable condition/mileage C4S.

Finally, if I were interested in any 996 with low mileage, I would negotiate a discount to install an upgraded IMS bearing. Just saying... it's reality and lots of buyers know the deal.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:55 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking car Phil! Good luck with sale. Hopefully it stays on rennlist.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

i remember your car photos from a post years ago regarding the headlight wrap - your 996 is a great example and is one of the reasons i started looking for a grey C4S - i've always loved silver but the grey sold me. you have one of the best looking C2's i've seen.

i didn't have time this morning to read thru description or other posts but if IMS has been done, i don't see why your car wouldn't command close to $30K in this depressed 996 market.

if you have original seats, sell it with stock seats and capture a couple more thousand selling them separately - the stock seats may actually entice someone who normally wouldn't want a racing type seat

Quick Reply: FS 996 C2 - how much is it worth ?