996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FS 996 C2 - how much is it worth ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default FS 996 C2 - how much is it worth ?

I have been looking at updating to a GT3 for a while and I am now seriously thinking about selling my car.

Here are the window sticker options:

2003 Porsche 911 - 996 C2 coupe
Slate grey
Black full leather with dark grey deviated stiching
Carbon interior package OEM
Self dimming mirror interior-exterior
Power seats
Xenon headlamp
Rear center console carbon
lowered seats 10mm
Carbon door sil
Special Chassis rigidity tune
Bose package
Remote Cd

The car has 38,000 miles

The car has a clean carfax.

The RMS was redone under the previous owner CPO, never leaked again since. IMS is stock.

I have tons of paperwork showing all the car history, including window sticker, previous owner cpo paper, PPI from when I purchased the car.
I have 3 keys, 2 main 'regular' keys and a third one that has no transmitter 'head', may be a vallet key or something, I never used it.

It seems to have been very reliable all its life considering the only thing that was replaced were the RMS and the battery

I have documented all the mods on Rennlist and took care of oil change myself on regular basis. The car went to Porsche for the 30k service so that I would keep my extended warranty in check. The extended warranty is good until May 2012 and is the Fidelity plan, which I paid $2,800 for when I bought the car almost 2 years ago.

1- What do you think it is worth with the mods on ?

- Dension Ipod/Iphone connection
- Tequipment rollbar
- Euro GT3 seats
- B&M short throw shifter assembly
- Rennline aluminum shift handle'
- Traqmate + chasecam
- PSS9 remanufactured last year by bilstein (the pictures are showing the previous setup RoW-M030, it rides lower now)
- GT3 brake ducts
- GT3 sway bars front and rear
- Tarett drop link front and rear
- High flow cat converter
- FisterD mod

2 - What do you think it is worth without the mods that are easy to remove and resale, I know the cost of the parts, but I wonder how much you think I can gain by putting it back to stock, as I might have less interest in the modded cars based on what I have seen from previous seller on the forums, they usually part out their car :

- Tequipment rollbar ($600)
- Euro GT3 seats ($2,000)
- Traqmate + chasecam ($1,000)

3- Do you think I should have the car get a PPI myself at a reputable local dealer ?
Attached Images       

Last edited by philooo; 01-28-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking car!!

I can't speak to the value of the car but since I've been in the market and have been looking my guess would be $30-33K if it were back to stock.

The mods you've done do narrow the buyer field.
I'm going through the exact same thing with my SC right now. I have some very basic mods that can easily be reversed back to stock by someone if they choose too, but there aren't a lot of people out there looking for modded cars. And the kicker with the mods I did is they are all (aside from seats and duck tail) IMPROVEMENTS over the original equip. Things such as wheels, exhaust, etc....

I'd put it back to stock (keep the wheels, they look awesome) and list it for a couple grand more than you're willing to take and go form there.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is almost the most beautiful 996 C2 I ever seen. Glows.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to know if there are any issues, get the PPI. I would never use the owner's PPI or shop if I were a potential buyer.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

It's very hard to price aftermarket mods into a car's value unless you find just the right buyer. Some people will love them and others will be turned off. For example, I wouldn't expect to get more for your car because of the wheels. You might find someone who opts for you car over another C2 they're looking at because the other C2 doesn't have them. Then again, someone might see it as a deal killer and prefer the original wheels. Either way, in my opinion, you're apt to make more money on most of the mods (wheels, seats, cam, etc.) if you pull them and sell them separately.

MkII C2s are routinely trading in the $28-30K range. Your car has low mileage, looks like it has been very well maintained and does have some nice add-ons. I'd price it over the average (in the low $30s) and see who bites. I don't know how much you paid but $30K is probably a decent price for it...but sell the mods separately and you'll make out much better.

Others will disagree with me and point out that you can get a Turbo for $35K. Dare I say, "whatever?" Just remember, you can always take less but you can't ever ask for more.

Just my $.02,
-Eric
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Phil, keep the seats, tequip bar and traqmate for the GT3. As far as the sways and drop links go...? I know you installed them recently. Do you want to spend the time to remove them? If so, im sure you will find a buyer. Heck I might be tempted as ill have some work to do to keep up with your GT3. I would guess that someone would be glad to buy your car for $30,000 considering your records and miles. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Others will disagree with me and point out that you can get a Turbo for $35K... -Eric
Any $35k turbo will probably require $5k of repair and reconditioning.

This 996 is as nicely optioned and modded as I have seen, with lots of history and low mileage to boot. You might consider finding a high-end foreign car dealer - or even your local Porsche dealer - to consign the car for you. They can cast a wide net and list the car for a premium price. In the end you can probably make a little more money than selling it yourself, and you don't have to deal with any of the hassle.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Beautiful car! Those headlight covers are the only ones I've ever seen that I like. Does anyone know what they are and if they make a similar model for the Mk1 996?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Any $35k turbo will probably require $5k of repair and reconditioning.
At least that and you'll still have a car that was likely mistreated. I wouldn't touch a $35K Turbo with a 10 foot pole.

-Eric
Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great looking car! Worth at least $30K in closer to stock form.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Airrik
Racer

I would say 29k to 31k range some people might not like the silver stripe on front windshield, on mine I have a Porsche decal in silver. BTW what wheels are those? 18's or 19's looks nice very clean.
GLWS!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

the wheels are champion rg5b replica that you can see for sale very often on the local miami.craigslist.com in 18"
Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
It's very hard to price aftermarket mods into a car's value unless you find just the right buyer. Some people will love them and others will be turned off. For example, I wouldn't expect to get more for your car because of the wheels. You might find someone who opts for you car over another C2 they're looking at because the other C2 doesn't have them. Then again, someone might see it as a deal killer and prefer the original wheels. Either way, in my opinion, you're apt to make more money on most of the mods (wheels, seats, cam, etc.) if you pull them and sell them separately.-Eric
I think Eric is spot on. It is all about the potential buyer. If I was in the market now I would be drawn to your car like a moth to a flame because of the track oriented mods. On the other hand someone else may see the same things and be worried about how much has the car been abused on the track. So, how much track time has the car seen?

If I were in your shoes I would pull (for possible resale) the seats, bar, camera, and reinstall the original seats. I would not even consider pulling the suspension pieces out unless you can do it yourself and have that kind of time on your hands. Then put it up for sale, buy the GT3 of your dreams, and not look back.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, locally i would say in the $29k - 30k range is abount right.
I emailed to a buddy of mine locally who was looking.
I may pick up the roll bar if you decide to sell it as i am local too.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 172 Posts

I would start it at 33k minimum and not go lower than 30k, especially if you have some time. Add to these prices any of the major mods you decide to leave on. Your car has a great look and history that will make it more desireable and help it sell quicker. If you provide a current independent PPI that will be another big positive for quicker sale. GLWS

Quick Reply: FS 996 C2 - how much is it worth ?