996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

108k 996 anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought on the whole IMS thing that takes into account some actual numbers. When I got my 05 997, I got quotes from a number of extended warranty companies. All of them offered a powertrain warranty that covered IMS failure for around $2,000 to $2,500 for 4 years. Now, assuming a catastrophic engine failure = $20,000, that would mean that even if there was a 10% chance of one, they'd only be breaking even on the warranty. And that doesn't take into account that the powertrain warranty also covers any number of other repairs that are far more likely than IMS failure, the overhead costs for the insurance companies, and what I think I can safely assume is a healthy profit margin. And none of the companies I talked to requested any sort of IMS specific diligence in advance -- i.e., inspecting an oil filter for ferrous material. One would think if there was a substantial chance of a single item blowing their profit margin, they would do so.

I ended up going for an exclusionary warranty purchased through my local Porsche dealership, because I'm risk averse and because the cost seemed very reasonable, especially since my dealership assured me that they've never had a single issue getting coverage with this company (Fidelity). But it would sure seem that the folks whose job it is to know exactly how often our cars need repair are not nearly as worried about IMS failure as the average person on this board, and they presumably have the best information on the subject.

That's not to say it can't happen, or that it isn't awful news for those who it happens to, but you can say the same thing about people who won't swim in the ocean because they're afraid of sharks.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Neotorque
Just a thought on the whole IMS thing that takes into account some actual numbers. When I got my 05 997, I got quotes from a number of extended warranty companies. All of them offered a powertrain warranty that covered IMS failure for around $2,000 to $2,500 for 4 years. Now, assuming a catastrophic engine failure = $20,000, that would mean that even if there was a 10% chance of one, they'd only be breaking even on the warranty. And that doesn't take into account that the powertrain warranty also covers any number of other repairs that are far more likely than IMS failure, the overhead costs for the insurance companies, and what I think I can safely assume is a healthy profit margin. And none of the companies I talked to requested any sort of IMS specific diligence in advance -- i.e., inspecting an oil filter for ferrous material. One would think if there was a substantial chance of a single item blowing their profit margin, they would do so.

I ended up going for an exclusionary warranty purchased through my local Porsche dealership, because I'm risk averse and because the cost seemed very reasonable, especially since my dealership assured me that they've never had a single issue getting coverage with this company (Fidelity). But it would sure seem that the folks whose job it is to know exactly how often our cars need repair are not nearly as worried about IMS failure as the average person on this board, and they presumably have the best information on the subject.

That's not to say it can't happen, or that it isn't awful news for those who it happens to, but you can say the same thing about people who won't swim in the ocean because they're afraid of sharks.
+1

The same thought occured to me when I used my after market warranty for the first time. My Indy found that I had a cracked serpentine belt (covered item) but since it was not yet "broken" the warranty company refused payment. Fine, lesson learned. I'll make sure its broken next time.

However, in a conversation with "customer service" I argued that I was trying to be proactive that should the belt break and cause any additional damage, it would save them money in the long run. He stated that in his "15 years in the biz he had never heard of a serpentine belt failure causing damage to a Porsche".

That's when it also occured to me that if the IMS issue was truly widespread, these warranty companies would make them an excluded part. A $15-20K claim would certainly eat into their profits, again if the failure was all too common.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
+1

The same thought occured to me when I used my after market warranty for the first time. My Indy found that I had a cracked serpentine belt (covered item) but since it was not yet "broken" the warranty company refused payment. Fine, lesson learned. I'll make sure its broken next time.

However, in a conversation with "customer service" I argued that I was trying to be proactive that should the belt break and cause any additional damage, it would save them money in the long run. He stated that in his "15 years in the biz he had never heard of a serpentine belt failure causing damage to a Porsche".

That's when it also occured to me that if the IMS issue was truly widespread, these warranty companies would make them an excluded part. A $15-20K claim would certainly eat into their profits, again if the failure was all too common.
As a total newbie to owning a Porsche, and in light of my experience over the last three months, I have to agree. Seems like when I look back, it was the mechanics, service writers and bearing distributors who caused my initial "anxiety". Very few owners who had wrecked engines seemed to be posting dire warnings. I chose to wait until I needed the clutch replaced but suffered more than a bit of fear of engine failure during that time. Looking at my removed IMS bearing, I'd say it was probably not about to self destruct any time soon. My conclusion is that if the trans has to come off for any reason, that would be the time to consider a bearing change. Otherwise, try to ignore the fear-mongers out there.

Quick Reply: 108k 996 anxiety