Sponsored by:

108k 996 anxiety

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 108k 996 anxiety

I just bought a 2002 996, Black with tan interior. It has 108k on the odometer. This car was obviously cared for, the leather is very good, the engine sounds great and the paint shines better than most new cars I see on the road. It has new tires, new brakes and rotors and is very clean inside and outside. I took it to a Porsche dealer, pre-purchase, and he told me the engines tend to explode without notice. I then took it to a non-dealer Porsche garage and he told me the intermediate shaft will deteriorate and blow the engine without notice. He said 100% of these engines will fail. I find this hard to believe but he has me concerned. His fix was an aftermarket shaft bearing and while he's in there, a new clutch and pressure plate for $2600.
I bought the car despite what these guys told me because it looks and runs great and the price was right. I've scoured the internet trying to get reliable feedback on this subject. I have the service history from about 30k and the previous owner had the rear main seal replaced, intermediate shaft flange work, a new clutch package and a host of other pricey fixes along the way. The car still has a slight oil leak - no drops on the garage floor, just a kind of slight film around the bottom of the engine.
The engine pulls and revs without hesitation but I still have a bad feeling that I'm just a fool in love and that disaster is just around the corner. I'm still not sure if I should do the fix or just drive it.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Before the rest of the forum catches wind of this post... you better post a picture of your ride!!

By the way, trying searching the forum there are plenty of new owners in the exact same position that have posted similar questions in the past. Good Luck!! and Welcome to RL!!

Last edited by RPMulli; 01-19-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 PM
fivepointnine
Instructor

I would say the single row IMS bearings are in the 5% failure range, LN engineering and Pelican Parts both make retrofits for the bearing. If you are that worried about it go ahead and pay for the replacement, but with 108k miles odds are that the bearing would have went by now if you had a bad one. Keep the oil changed every 5k or so and inspect your oil filter for metal particles.

You can also equip your car with the "IMS guardian" if you do not want to drop the 2k+ for a bearing retrofit.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I took it to a Porsche dealer, pre-purchase, and he told me the engines tend to explode without notice
Did the dealer qualify this in any way? I would ask for hard numbers on the total number of engines that has replaced relative to the number of cars that hit has sold. The failure rate has never been established, but most IMS bearings do not fail based on what I can seem to ascertain. I had the same fear, but got over it.

He said 100% of these engines will fail.
Eventually all engines fail due to wear. His statement is fear mongering.

However, at 108K, I would think that a new clutch and LN bearing would give you peace of mind.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I took it to a Porsche dealer, pre-purchase, and he told me the engines tend to explode without notice
Did the dealer qualify this in any way? I would ask for hard numbers on the total number of engines that has replaced relative to the number of cars that hit has sold. The failure rate has never been established, but most IMS bearings do not fail based on what I can seem to ascertain. I had the same fear, but got over it.

He said 100% of these engines will fail.
Eventually all engines fail due to wear. His statement is fear mongering.

However, at 108K, I would think that a new clutch and LN bearing would give you peace of mind.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome aboard

I know a few owners on Original engines with miles in the 100k+ range. There is a local owner who religiously maintained his car since new with 233k miles last time I asked. I use the same mechanic he uses and he told me the same about his car. I also asked the same questions you gave me. He said change your oil as scheduled and always check your filter for particles, etc.

And of course there is the preventive service and other products offered by LN if you don't want to wait. Enjoy your car and drive her. They liked to be driven

Oh, pics please!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 PM
SLVRBLT
Intermediate

I'm new to p-car ownership and also had some of the same concerns as you do now. I did my research before purchase including talking with my local dealerships head mechanic. He also owns a 996 and has driven it every day since new. He now has nearly 200k on the clock. I mentioned my concerns and he explained that the IMS issue is mainly due to the bearing not staying lubricated (ie; sitting in storage, very low mileage). He stressed to drive it at least 3 to 4 times a week ensuring the bearing stays lubricated.

However, there are exceptions to any rule and I am sure there are many on here that can vouch for that. My car has the original bearing and clutch with 56k on it. So far so good and I am thankful to be problem free. I see a clutch and bearing change in my near future more for peace of mind than anything.

I hope you stay trouble free. Enjoy and drive her alot.

Oh yea... Welcome :bigbye

SLVR
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure whomever changes the oil knows what the hell they are doing. The IMS failure can be caught because it warns you before going. You will see particles in the filter - and that is why it should be inspected thoroughly at each oil change.

The metal particles are exactly what the IMS Guardian is using to warn you. I personally would not be happy with the response of that individual.

Honestly, I'd be more comfortable with a high mileage 996 than a low mileage one. It clearly has been tested and found worthy.

My advise - get a good independent and trust them.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK...ill start it.

T H I S
Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 PM
sgschroeder
Addict
Rennlist Member

The bearing is of a size suitable for a small automotive generator or alternator. I have several examples of failed ones on my shop counter. The likelihood that you will be able to "catch it" between the first time it makes a "bit-o-noise" and the time it spits it's ***** into the crankcase is very low. Remember, it is under much more load than an alternator pulley is, the downside is far more expensive than a dead battery, and there are no good or inexpensive used motors out there anymore. Even blown-up core motors are in short supply. Even if it were rebuildable (not likely) there are not all that many technicians good enough to do it.
Just pay a good tech who has the special tools and the M96 know-how the 10 hours in labor and the $750 in parts (LN makes the retrofit). And sleep at night.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

THREAD
Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

is
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 AM
TroyN