Sponsored by:

How to tell clutch condition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Coryb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell clutch condition?

Is there a way to tell the condition of your clutch on my 2000 C4 Cab with 43,000 miles? Say by the force to push in the clutch pedal or the engage point?
Aren't these heavy clutch pedals anyway? Thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The clutch condition is not exclusive to the force needed to engage the clutch. If you suddenly have a stiffer pedal than normal, it is likely the slave cylinder or the clutch assist spring. The latter had to be replaced on my car just recently at 94k... The clutch pedal should actually be quite soft and not heavy on these cars.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I haven' t done this in many years, but the method I used in the past was to drift the tested car very, very slowly to an immovable object like a wall or tree until the bumper made contact with the object. You then slowly release the clutch. If the clutch is not worn, the engine should stall. Otherwise you'll notice a steady increase in engine rpms.

The above method is not condoned by Dealers.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Goldenwarrior1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
I haven' t done this in many years, but the method I used in the past was to drift the tested car very, very slowly to an immovable object like a wall or tree until the bumper made contact with the object. You then slowly release the clutch. If the clutch is not worn, the engine should stall. Otherwise you'll notice a steady increase in engine rpms.

That should do wonders for the delicate plastic bumper cover!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would try another method by all means, maybe with the front wheels chocked?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Biro
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to do a clutch check with the parking brake on.
The engine should stall out quickly if the clutch bites good.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or try starting the car rolling in 3rd or higher gears
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is only good to test someone else's clutch.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:56 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

WTF, this is a joke right?

If you are going to do something like this, why not simply apply the brakes(with the pedal).
Old 01-15-2012, 03:57 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
This is only good to test someone else's clutch.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:17 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

If you do this up against the wall of your house, and your house falls over, then your clutch does not need replacing.

Quick Reply: How to tell clutch condition?