Sponsored by:

Disappointed to read the Tech Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:13 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
It's important to observe the problem in the context of the history of Porsche engines. There have been issues with almost *all* Porsche six-cylinder engines from their design in 1965. Some highlights:

- Intermediate shaft wear in the 1969+ cases
- Magnesium case head stud pulling
- Chain tensioner failing (similar to the IMS failure in the amount of damage inflicted)
- Dilavar head studs snapping
- 3.6 valve guides wearing

To use the chain tensioner problem as an example - not all engines will have chain tensioners fail. But some did, and experienced some very severe failures. In the same manner, the IMS bearing failure is somewhat intermittent - some engines will fail and some will not, as evidenced by the facts. I myself have one car with 30K in my possession that had a complete IMS failure. On the other hand, I have another engine I tore down with about 110K on the clock with no detectable IMS wear. So, the bottomline is that it *may* happen to your engine, and if you wish to help minimize this particular failure mode, then there is a solution on the market. LN Engineering's kit contains the ceramic bearing and a new, redesigned end-plate for the bearing (probably the most robust option). Our kit (on the desk in front of me), simply contains a replacement bearing (same as the original), updated stud, and some specially designed spacers (expected price to be under $200). At this price point, I think it's quite reasonable to recommend that the bearing be replaced at each clutch replacement interval (or about 30-60K miles). That seems to be a safe bet for people looking to protect their engines from this failure. Also, keep your oil change intervals to under 5,000 miles.

-Wayne
Sanity. Thank you.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I am a new owner of a 99 C2 cab and have no history of any repairs or upgrades that the car might have had throughout its life. For my peace of mind re IMS bearing I change oil and cut open my filter. Mine is clean. No silver or plasctic bits or dust particles. I have a 45000 mile 3 year warranty on the car and should I see anything in the filter that should not be there, I will photograph it and give fair warning to the warranty firm of an impending engine failure. I think that phone call should wake them up into replacing the RMS bearing. The car has just completed 53000 miles. Its thanks to this forum and to the posters that I even found out about the 996 IMS bearing fault. I didnt know when I first bought the car. I have changed from Mobil 1 5w-40w to Motul 8100 excess 5W-40W since reading this forum and driving the car as though it was stolen. haha.

Quick Reply: Disappointed to read the Tech Q&A