996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

To Wing or not to Wing??? Many Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:11 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if the turbo rear bumper cover is a direct bolt on to a narrow body car? Logic says it won't.

Has anyone done this? I've seen people with turbo rear bumper covers, but I'm not sure if they're Porsche or aftermarket. I'd prefer Porsche parts.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Madjackdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IPlayGtr
In my humble opinion, yours has the classic lines that I love in a 996. To each his own, but the elegance of the car is lost with the wing. Just my opinion. (Plus it's wicked cool to show off the lid moving up and down..)
Exactlamundo! You're now driving what is as close to the epitome of beauty as is humanly possible.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always preferred the look of a 996 without the aerokit. Naturally, the car I found and bought has the full aerokit. I have been warming up to it.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
norcoastal
Pro

It's a tough call. I'm basically a purist. I like the aero's if they come that way from the factory, but I have to say, some of the modified cars look really great like FLY996's car.

My car had a GT-2 nose when I bought it and it looked stupid. I bought a stock nose to replace the GT-2 but when I removed it, I found a complete GT-2 cooling system. It had oversized radiators and condensers and the stock nose wouldn't fit over them. I had to buy he turbo nose or replace ALL the radiators and brackets which would have been way too expensive for the benefit.

My next car will be a C4S or a turbo, but for now I love my car. I really like the look of the turbo nose and I love driving it.

So I think it's just new wheels and MAYBE new MK2 side skirts.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

Steve it worked out fine because the turbo nose works well on your car with the side rocker skirts. It seems you are in the mood for further changes but for the record your wheels are one of my favorites. By the way the law here in TX also says we need a front license plate. I have been avoiding it but unfortunately I just bought the bracket and it will be going on soon. The local cops don't seem to care but the state troopers will pull you over.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:03 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Randy, I hate the license plate but the fines were piling up and it was mostly the locals. It wasn't worth worrying about getting pulled over every time I saw a cop. Jersey cops don't fool around.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What Zookie Said

IF you want the Aero, I suggest doing it right. That would include the MKII Aero Front Bumper, Side Skirts, and Rear Wing. I just completed this process on my 2002 Carerra. Parts are $5,000 and my cost for painting and install were $2,000
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm definitely interested in the side skirts.

Please PM me if you want to sell them.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:09 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Alex, I love your car, especially the color!!!

If you saw my earlier post, I can't put a MKII nose on my car for radiator size issues. The PO but turbo radiators and condensers on my car so I have to have the oversize bumper cover.

But your car looks great, it makes me think I want black wheels!!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Down South, I do think I'm going to get the correct side skirts.

I'll sell you mine if you want. I gotta find he right ones first.

ANYONE SELLING MKII SIDE SKIRTS????
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Just let me know when you're ready.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

You know I've always wanted a wing on my car but the wife thinks it's too immature. So I was going to respond by saying, "add the wing!"

But this morning I was walking out of the gym towards my car and viewing it straight ahead from behind and I gotta tell you, the wingless rear end just works!

I know the 993 is always known for it's rear but the 996 has some nice curves of it's own, just not as noticeable.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like bella1's setup, flows nice from front to back. That wing fits the car much better. Or you could just go wingless, like this cat.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by norcoastal
Does anyone know if the turbo rear bumper cover is a direct bolt on to a narrow body car? Logic says it won't.

Has anyone done this? I've seen people with turbo rear bumper covers, but I'm not sure if they're Porsche or aftermarket. I'd prefer Porsche parts.
No, I have not seen anyone put a Turbo rear bumper on a non Turbo without modification (cutting out sections). You can buy a Turbo style rear bumper for a non Turbo from Precision Porsche (what I have).

Wingless looks just O.K. until the stock wing is extended...then it looks pretty weak. I'd look at Misha911 GTM (what I had)....Misha also makes a GT2 style wing blade with the same base. Precision Porsche makes a GT2 style decklid/wing (what I have now).

Misha911 GTM

GT2 style Wing/Decklid

Quick Reply: To Wing or not to Wing??? Many Pics