Sponsored by:

To Wing or not to Wing??? Many Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:43 PM
smorris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your asking....
I would get rid of the amber side markers and lose the front license plate!

Wings are entirely a personal choice, but i like how your car looks now.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The amber pumpkins are going, the clear ones are on the way.

I didn't have a front license plate for a while, but in NJ it's the law, after 3 tickets and fines I decided to give in and put one on.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just get the wing, there is no way that its going to look bad and its so quickly reversible.

I think your front bumper looks great.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Thanks, I love my front bumper.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If I was my grand sons age I'd be jumping up and down with the thoughts of a wing. Call me a moldy fig, but NO!

I've been trying to think how I can easily loose the wing on my Turbo. It actually makes me self conscious at times. I already lost the Turbo emblem on the rear deck which is good.

So driving down the freeway to work, a Subaru on the right, a Prius on the left, a Pontiac in front of me. We all have are rear wings on to create the necessary down force at speed...bla, bla, bla. Sorry, I don't need this BS. I bought the car for the driving experience only, I don't need or want the attention. To me with a Porsche, you already have it all, less is always more!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:19 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Well said Nick. No rear wing for me.

I'm sticking with what I have. New wheels maybe, but not a wing.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it was exactly what I needed. I'm glad I got your opinions.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:22 PM
IPlayGtr
Intermediate

In my humble opinion, yours has the classic lines that I love in a 996. To each his own, but the elegance of the car is lost with the wing. Just my opinion. (Plus it's wicked cool to show off the lid moving up and down..)
Old 12-18-2011, 12:18 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

No wing. But, I would change the rockers to whatever Porsche installed on the 40yr. The rounded rockers look a bit off with the 4S bumper.

Keep those wheels tho. The 5 spoke lightweights look the business.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Steve2112
Racer

No wing is my vote - like someone said above the auto deploy spoiler is cool and unusual (similar to the Bugatti Veyron).

Believe me, I know about wings. Mine came stock on my old 05 WRX STi.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:14 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by norcoastal
Well said Nick. No rear wing for me.

I'm sticking with what I have. New wheels maybe, but not a wing.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it was exactly what I needed. I'm glad I got your opinions.
I like the idea of the Innsbrucks. I researched several wheels and ended up choosing them in black. My first criteria was 18" and very light weight, next I wanted an open look with thin spokes, had to be semi gloss black, take stock mounting bolts and caps, lastly price. These wheels met all my expectations, had them over 6 months, still love them and haven't seen anything I like better. I like the bumper cover you have and think the rocker covers look fine. They are subtle and don't scream anything to get attention. Down the road if you want a wing you can always add it.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:45 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are shopping for a wing I have an OEM aerokit wing and deck with wirign harness, looks like the gt3 wing but special fit for the 996, brand new in box, primed from factory but never painted.

I wanted to put it on my car, but never did and I don't think I will.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:49 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind the pumpkins with that color car. I had to change them on my green car.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Everybody is different but I really do not like wings on any cars. They almost always look like an add on.

On the other hand I love big wheels. If it were me I would get some big 19's on there!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 AM
norcoastal
Pro

I think I'll spend my money on Innsbrucks. I think on my car the silver would look best, but black is definitely an option. I've been going back and fourth on black vs. silver for a while. I'm leaning silver right now.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I don't think adding the spoiler will get the look you are searching for that goes with the front bumper. I think that if you add it, you will still feel that there is something not "finished" about it.

As I look at your car in the photos, it seems to my eye that the nose is now low and big. What is missing is that the rear bumper cover should be changed to something like the C4S rear bumper, which is fuller looking and has the side vents. 996 C4S's did not come with big GT3 spoilers and those cars look just perfectly fine without them. I wouldn't bother switching the lower side valence panels, either. They are fine. Only the real cognoscenti will know the difference between the current one on your car, and the "correct" one for the turbo nose.

For reference, look at Hardback's avatar on post #23, above.

Quick Reply: To Wing or not to Wing??? Many Pics