Sponsored by:

Is this 996 a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
mjbrox
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this 996 a good deal?

My buddy who lives in TX, (but I live in Richmond VA ) is looking at getting a 911. He could possible afford a 997, but would not mind saving some money, and this one looks like a good deal.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2724304657.html

Is the modified springs a bad thing?
How big a deal should the rebuilt motor be?

What else should I ask?
Old 12-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Having a 2 year warranty on 2002 motor? .... really good piece of mind. Motors are expensive to repair/replace in these cars. If he is considering a 996 this looks like a decent example and fair asking price. Have it inspected by a good Porsche shop beforehand. Tons of pre-purchase threads to look through on this forum as well.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only issue with the reman motor is that it has an unserviceable IMS bearing. After 2 years, the only options you have are to buy another warranty or disassemble the engine and have the new LN IMS shaft put in.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM
mjbrox
Cruisin'

First off, it sounds like the warranty does not transfer.

Second, Why you need to replace IMS in two years? I would think they would install a fix to this problem.....
Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjbrox
My buddy who lives in TX, (but I live in Richmond VA ) is looking at getting a 911. He could possible afford a 997, but would not mind saving some money, and this one looks like a good deal.
If your buddy can afford a 997 but would be happy with a 996, I would encourage them to find the best 2004 model they can find. I'd avoid one with a rebuilt motor and I'd also find one with better options -- but that's all a matter of personal taste. Besides, last time I checked power steering, driver and passenger air bags, and most (if not all) of those "options" weren't actually options.

Just my $.02,
-Eric
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Porsche has never had a solution, unless you count the 9A1 engine (no intermediate shaft at all!) as a solution.

I'm not saying the reman will explode just when the warranty runs out. I'm saying your options for preventative issues are limited.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM
mjbrox
Cruisin'

So what are you supposed to do about the IMS issue? Lets say he bought a 2004, would he need to adress it ASAP?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are countless existing threads on IMS issues. Suffice it to say its a real thing but the issue is hotly debated. Search is your friend.

You can also check out LN Engineering's website: http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

There are also tons of other sources for information on this topic. As with ANY car, your buddy should do his research (a lot of it) on any model before taking the plunge, and he should get a PPI for any car before he buys it.

-Eric
Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mjbrox

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/2724304657.html

Is the modified springs a bad thing?
How big a deal should the rebuilt motor be?

What else should I ask?
The rebuilt motor is a great plus.
lightning rarely strikes twice so you're good.
I think it's a good deal.

Don't look back too much - just buy and enjoy.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Springs should be fine. Just make sure car was properly aligned and check tire wear.

Reman engine with 2 year warranty is not a bad deal.

Just have it checked by someone who knows about Porsches (Authorized place).

To me sounds like a good deal. Maybe you can get for slightly less?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would want to know why the engine was rebuilt and to see the documentation. It may very well be that it was an IMS failure. The price seems about right for miles and condition, though it is missing the Bose stereo and Litronic headlights.

@soverystout:

"After 2 years, the only options you have are to buy another warranty or disassemble the engine and have the new LN IMS shaft put in."

Your statement seems inaccurate and somewhat alarmist. There is no engine disassembly required to install the LN update - and it is a new bearing, not a new shaft. The transmission must be removed to get access to the IMS and the job will cost a few thousand, but it is significantly less than an engine "disassemble" or the repairs required to fix the damage from an IMS failure.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
I would want to know why the engine was rebuilt and to see the documentation. It may very well be that it was an IMS failure. The price seems about right for miles and condition, though it is missing the Bose stereo and Litronic headlights.

@soverystout:

"After 2 years, the only options you have are to buy another warranty or disassemble the engine and have the new LN IMS shaft put in."

Your statement seems inaccurate and somewhat alarmist. There is no engine disassembly required to install the LN update - and it is a new bearing, not a new shaft. The transmission must be removed to get access to the IMS and the job will cost a few thousand, but it is significantly less than an engine "disassemble" or the repairs required to fix the damage from an IMS failure.
Ralph,

It is my understanding that all reman motors since 06 are fitted with the larger, unserviceable single row, IMS bearing. Therefore, the case must be split and the shaft must be changed with the bearing.

A side note: I changed my oil yesterday and found a decent amount of black plastic seal material (I presume seal material) and the magnetic drain plug had a bit of very fine metal on it. Needless to say (for most) but I have scheduled my car to have the IMS bearing replaced this thursday.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
Ralph,

It is my understanding that all reman motors since 06 are fitted with the larger, unserviceable single row, IMS bearing. Therefore, the case must be split and the shaft must be changed with the bearing.

A side note: I changed my oil yesterday and found a decent amount of black plastic seal material (I presume seal material) and the magnetic drain plug had a bit of very fine metal on it. Needless to say (for most) but I have scheduled my car to have the IMS bearing replaced this thursday.
Which is why know the exact circumstance of the rebuild would be important...
Old 12-05-2011, 05:18 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Price is very high.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
SkydiveS4
Track Day

It's a decent deal, but I'd look for a later car. Last month I found a nice example of a very well maintained, nicely optioned 2004 C4S in Midnight Blue Metallic with 64,000 miles, fresh IMS Bearing and updated RMS. Some of the documentation was missing but the fact that the previous owner was vigilant in terms of the cautionary maintenance and the excellent condition of the vehicle in evidence was very good. I paid $32,000 and shipped it cross-country for another $700. I feel like I did well because I was willing look at the national market knowing that even if I got the car and didn't like it after making it my own, I could get my money back out in Los Angeles, which is a pretty fast market of Porsches. (The car is likely worth $36K-37K without much trouble here.) I did have a PPI in Nashville before I closed the deal, of course.

Look into one of the S cars which will hold value a bit better, and don't limit yourself to local sales.

That said, if I were satisfied with a PPI and documentation of the rebuild, there is would be no reason to cross this car off the list, though sometimes aftermarket suspension is an indicator that a car has been driven hard, (but not necessarily put away wet). If the condition of the car is otherwise to your liking but the suspension is not, it would probably be fairly trivial to swap out the springs for factory ones in the form of a trade with someone who prefers the Champion units.

I would speak with the shop, (Euroclassics Porsche?), who apparently performed the rebuild work about the circumstances of the original failure, and find some independent references for the shop itself, too.

-Michael

Quick Reply: Is this 996 a good deal?