Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trendy996
underdrive crank
aasco lwfw
sachs race clutch
solid subframe mounts
solid engine mounts...
Combined, this is a scary list to me (done properly scary in the right way).

During your repairs did you tear your engine completely down (to the crank) and have it balanced?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
...Titanium rods are nice, but don't skimp on the rod bolts...
Indeed, rod bolts from ARP are only about $100.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:12 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macster, I didn't do an engine rebuild. I just pulled the engine to get the experience and to replace those mentioned items. I always do a tear down of any car I buy from another person. It also had a intermix issue prior to buying the car so I knew what I was getting into. The engine itself is fairly new and installed by Porsche so I felt it was a good gamble that it was caused by an item that would be swapped back onto the new engine from porsche bc I'm assuming they don't include every accessory when you purchace a new one ie the AOS and oil cooler.

logray, no I didn't have the moving assembly balanced. I did search enough and I did read your comments/thoughts on the issue of the lwfw and ud crank. You are the only one I saw along with the company you quoted on suggesting this. I know I was always a sceptic when I was building Audi 1.8T engines that used a dmfw and always suggested the same as you, but after seeing numerous people go against that in Audis and the people I read on with Porsches I don't see anything wrong with it. It needed a new clutch and fw so this is what I wanted to go with. At some point I will be doing a race build on the engine very soon so that doesn't at all concern me.

I take it that is what you ment by my list al together is a scary combination in a bad way??

I did get it to break free lastnight. The cylinders were filled with oil mixture and the lines from the AOS were also filled. Ordered all new lines, AOS, and denso IK22 plugs.

Quick Reply: fail safe question