Sponsored by:

Looking to protect front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to protect front end

Looking for recommendation on a front end bra. I will be on the highway a lot in the next six months and would like to protect my new frontend respray for as long as possible. 996 non areo
Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having a 3M product called Rockguard installed today. I saw a full front installation done on a basalt black 997 locally and it is absolutely near perfect.

For now I am just doing my front bumper and headlights - will do either partial or full hood down the road. I think if you google 3M rock guard you might be able to find an installer near you.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Paulicat
Track Day

I have the Rockguard installed on my 01 Cab. Great product.
I did full front, and front of mirrors, unless you catch it at exactly the right angle, you cannot tell it is there.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Paulicat
Track Day

Sorry, forgot to attach image in first reply...
Pic below with 3M.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
DanielT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colgan over headlights front end two piece bra.
Fits nicely, goes off and on easily.
Great front protection!

Have had a Colgan bra on the front of all 11 of my Porsches and have never regretted it.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone had a clear film at a gtg 2 weeks ago, don't know what kind. I could see it clearly when I wore my polarized sunglasses, otherwise it was invisible.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up the car and the installer did a fine job. Bumper, headlights, and I decided at the last minute to do a small part of the hood, in line with headlights where they meet the hood. Would love to do the full hood, but the film is about 4 to 6 inches short at the corners where the hood meets the cowl and they would need to piece it in. So, I'll give it some thought - I think it is good to go for a few near term road trips.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm looking into them today.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2011, 04:35 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine also has the mirrors with clear bra.

The PO had this done and I thought it was a good thing overall. Very professional install. But I wonder what will happen when it is removed? I can see where some rocks have hit and dislodged paint chips that are now held in place by the clear bra. Removing the thing would probably require a respray.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 PM
calbo
Advanced

Default On the headlamps!?

I have 3M clearbra on the entire front bumper (except grill areas), side mirrors, about 50% of the hood, and front fenders as far back as to be in line with the hood film. Also on door edges, door handles, handle cubbies, just behind the front wheel wells and on the rear fender flares (to protect from stuff kicked up by front tires), just behind the rear fenders (stuff kicked up by rears), and bits of the rear bumper. A bit excessive, I know.

Conspicuously absent are the headlamps. My installer runs a shop that offers clearbras, detailing, custom graphics, and cloudy headlamp refinishing. He says that the heat generated by the beams will not bode well with the film adhesive and over time may make the film peel off the headlamp surface.

For silotwo's sake (and everyone else who did install clearbra over their headlamps), I hope my installer is wrong. Just thought I'd share this, though.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Make sure your paint is fully cured before clear bra installation, otherwise you may be in for a surprise when it's removed.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by calbo
I have 3M clearbra on the entire front bumper (except grill areas), side mirrors, about 50% of the hood, and front fenders as far back as to be in line with the hood film. Also on door edges, door handles, handle cubbies, just behind the front wheel wells and on the rear fender flares (to protect from stuff kicked up by front tires), just behind the rear fenders (stuff kicked up by rears), and bits of the rear bumper. A bit excessive, I know.

Conspicuously absent are the headlamps. My installer runs a shop that offers clearbras, detailing, custom graphics, and cloudy headlamp refinishing. He says that the heat generated by the beams will not bode well with the film adhesive and over time may make the film peel off the headlamp surface.

For silotwo's sake (and everyone else who did install clearbra over their headlamps), I hope my installer is wrong. Just thought I'd share this, though.
I have had a clear bra on the lights (and bumper/hood,fenders) of my DD which sits outside year round for almost 3 years and I haven't seen any issues with damage from the lights heat etc. Sounds like BS to me.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 PM
calbo
Advanced

Yeah maybe it's all BS.
Which car is your DD?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by calbo
Yeah maybe it's all BS.
Which car is your DD?
My DD is a Mazda Speed 3. The clear bra has done a remarkable job keeping the chips away.

I have a clear bra on the Spyder too, including the headlights, mirrors, full hood, full fenders, rocker panels, rear fender flares, door sills and behind the tires. Knock on wood, no chips on the Spyder.

Quick Reply: Looking to protect front end