996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Considering changing the water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did this as a preventive maintence item 5 months ago along with the LN low temp stat, serp belt, and a few coolant hoses.

I would definately use the OEM pump.
The pump definately comes out the bottom and not through the engine lid area.
If you use the OEM metal gasket I wouldn't use sealant.
Burping the system is a bit of a pain but as it takes a while.
Be mindful that you have to cut the gasket free from the engine because the water pump and oil pump (or is it the fuel pump?) gaskets were installed as 1 unit from the factory.

My car is an 03 and had 40K on it when I did it and the bearing was making a little noise once I had it in my hands. Age and coolant kills these things.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

How did you decide which hose to change ? did you had a list or you simply replace the one that looked old ? It seems fairly easy I might go ahead and tackle this job. 8 years old start to count on a pump for sure.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
How did you decide which hose to change ? did you had a list or you simply replace the one that looked old ? It seems fairly easy I might go ahead and tackle this job. 8 years old start to count on a pump for sure.
I just loooked at the factory diagram and picked the hoses that were at the back end of the car.

If you tell a parts guys you want to replace all the coolant hoses on a 996, he will laugh at you and say, "That's gonna take some time and quite a bit of $$$"
Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Partsguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
If you tell a parts guys you want to replace all the coolant hoses on a 996, he will laugh at you and say, "That's gonna take some time and quite a bit of $$$"
Don't they say that about most jobs???............

Quick Reply: Considering changing the water pump