Sponsored by:

Bilstein sport shocks + stock springs=pain

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011 | 06:06 PM
AspenSTI2010
Instructor

Default Bilstein sport shocks + stock springs=pain

Hey Guys,
I have a spring related question (i think). I recently had my oem shocks changed out for bilstein sports, the stock springs were re-used. the car is an 03 C4S with the standard US suspension.
I'm finding the ride really rough, though the roads in calgary are to say the least.
I've been hunting around the forums and it seems that the Bilstein sports are the same as the shocks that come of the X74 suspension, however the springs are not the same as the ones on the stock US car. So my question is: are there options in terms of H&R or Eibach or something else that is similar to the X74 spring? i was quoted 1000 bucks US from porscheoemparts to get the x74 springs from Germany.

thanks!

Last edited by AspenSTI2010; 09-27-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2011 | 10:13 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

I think the issue may be that the sport shocks were never meant to be used with the m032 U.S. Touring suspension.
Old 09-27-2011 | 11:10 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

X74 is quite stiff suspension, that I would describe as best used on the track or smooth pavement.
The X74 was on the 40th anniversary cars, try to get a ride in one, it is pretty stiff for sure.
Old 09-27-2011 | 09:39 PM
AspenSTI2010
Instructor

I think i'm at a crossroads here, not sure if the H&R springs will solve the ride issue, or if i need to sell these shocks get the ROW030 suspension kit....
Anyone else have thoughts on what springs go best with the bils sport shocks?
Old 09-27-2011 | 10:31 PM
SSST
Drifting

I think it is the shocks more than the springs. You replaced touring shocks with sport shpcks They are stiffer Stiffer lower springs will improve the handling, but won't help the ride any and will likely make it... well... stiffer.

You might consider an adjustable suspension like the PSS10. A little more money, but it will get you closer to what you are looking for.
Old 09-29-2011 | 02:39 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

X74 is quite stiff suspension, that I would describe as best used on the track or smooth pavement.
The X74 was on the 40th anniversary cars, try to get a ride in one, it is pretty stiff for sure.
I respectfully disagree. I live in Canada and have installed an X-74 suspension and do not find that it is that bad despite the crappy roads in the eastern part of the country in which I live. It's a pretty good compromise between performance and street. Yes it can be a bit harsh over really bad pavement, but mostly it soaks up the bumps quite nicely. Handling is much improved. (note for a C4S you might need X-73 for the wide body)

Note to the OP, you might have mis-matched springs and shocks. It may be less expensive to looking for matching springs. I know a couple of people how have gone with the sport shock and H&R or Eibach springs to lower the car. The ride will be firm, but not unpleasantly.
Old 09-29-2011 | 03:47 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

If you bought the Bilstein HD shocks instead of the sports with the stock springs you would be feeling far better and your spine would thank you.

You can buy them for $800 shipped from eshocks.com (no affliation, just great prices)

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?M...=All&SubChar=Q

From the eshocks website:

What is the main difference between the different settings?

Heavy Duty will be somewhat stiffer and give your car a stiffer and more controlled ride. Sport setting shocks are 30% stiffer than Heavy Duty and are usually used with lowering springs for very hard driving and competition. We recommend Heavy Duty shocks for most applications.
Old 09-29-2011 | 11:52 PM
AspenSTI2010
Instructor

Hey Guys, thanks for all the input so far.
I'm at a loss in terms of where to go
1. Get the Eibach springs which are a better 'match' for the shocks.
2. Dump the shocks and get the HDs vs. the sports
3. Bite it and get the PSS10 coilovers

Anyone have a comparo of Bilstein sports/HDs vs the PSS10s?
At least the car is getting stored within the next month and i can wallow over it all winter
Old 09-29-2011 | 11:56 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Old 09-30-2011 | 10:09 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Iff you like the current ride height of your car just get the hd bilsteins. If you want a lowered look than springs are the only way.
Old 09-30-2011 | 10:22 AM
SSST
Drifting

Originally Posted by AspenSTI2010
Hey Guys, thanks for all the input so far.
I'm at a loss in terms of where to go
1. Get the Eibach springs which are a better 'match' for the shocks.
2. Dump the shocks and get the HDs vs. the sports
3. Bite it and get the PSS10 coilovers

Anyone have a comparo of Bilstein sports/HDs vs the PSS10s?
At least the car is getting stored within the next month and i can wallow over it all winter
Springs, shocks/struts, sway bars, and motor mounts all work together to give you varying degrees of ride/handling characteristics. Mixing and matching can sometimes get you what you want, and sometimes have odd results.

You've never really said what you are going for. Restoring the original factory ride, better handling, some combination between the two? There are always going to be trade-offs between ride and handling. These are not luxury touring coupes, although some might argue that point.

Decide what you are trying to accomplish, and then your options will be narrowed.

Quick Reply: Bilstein sport shocks + stock springs=pain