996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mid-life crisis?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my 1st pacar the ay after I got my license. Bought my next one, when
I was 25, and have had 3 more since then.

ONLY KIDDING!!!!!
Mid life crisis my A$$

I'm just a hard working stiff, who like the rest of you have been saving for years to get my dream car. I wasn't able to afford a Pcar until I was around 40. Any younger and I would have been a Lottery winner, or just a spoiled kid - lol

How many 20-30 yr old people want a car with a $300 oil change?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it a midlife crisis to be willing to pay more for a better bottle of wine?

For those who boast that their car can go faster, stoplight to stoplight - because you can chug your cheap wine faster than I ever would want to, does that make yours better?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my first p car was at 25 and it was a huge head ache haha
Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I bought my first P-car at 27...if anyone accuses me of having a MLC I use the "you don't know me very well" line.

Look around at the people accusing you of having a MLC because you have a Porsche...they almost invariably drive things like tan Toyotas because they don't have the ***** to own a Porsche or their wife won't let them. Believe it or not, it doesn't take a rich man to own a Porsche--just a guy that wants one badly enough, like many of us. My contention would be that those accusing me of compensating for something by buying a Porsche are actually compensating for their inability to stand up to their wives once in a while.

Every time I hear a comment like this, it reminds me of how great my family is that they actually encourage me to pursue my passion for cars. Sure, they roll their eyes a little sometimes, but they know it makes me happy and they'd never let me be the poor schmuck looking at another man's Porsche while hiding my own desire to have one.

Life's too short to drink cheap beer or drive ****ty cars. Cheers!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Amen to that! I got my 996 last year at age 27 too. I definitely worked my tail off for it and it surely won't be my last! Luckily my wife doesn't get between me and my cars (as long as I keep her driving something nice).

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I bought my first P-car at 27...if anyone accuses me of having a MLC I use the "you don't know me very well" line.

Look around at the people accusing you of having a MLC because you have a Porsche...they almost invariably drive things like tan Toyotas because they don't have the ***** to own a Porsche or their wife won't let them. Believe it or not, it doesn't take a rich man to own a Porsche--just a guy that wants one badly enough, like many of us. My contention would be that those accusing me of compensating for something by buying a Porsche are actually compensating for their inability to stand up to their wives once in a while.

Every time I hear a comment like this, it reminds me of how great my family is that they actually encourage me to pursue my passion for cars. Sure, they roll their eyes a little sometimes, but they know it makes me happy and they'd never let me be the poor schmuck looking at another man's Porsche while hiding my own desire to have one.

Life's too short to drink cheap beer or drive ****ty cars. Cheers!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Beaglehusky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 39 I'm old enough to not give a **** about what people think/say. I've had my Porsche for almost 1 year and I've loved every minute of it, and that's all that matters to ME.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

It will be interesting to see how the Boxster/Cayman change the Porsche ownership demographics in the long-term.

For many guys in their 20s, a used Boxster at 15K is a fairly reasonable purchase. Hey, its a Consumer Reports Best Buy, after all!. Boxsters and Caymans, although terrific in their own rights, are in many cases stepping stones to the more expensive 911. My guess is that this marketing will shift the average age of 911 acquisition down several years over the long run.

It will be interesting to see how Porsche balances perceived exclusivity, which is central to its brand, with a shift in target market demographics. A very difficult balance.

I guess the current ad campaign provides some insight.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the current ad campaign is interesting, but when you show the 911 as a School Bus, Pickup Truck, etc etc, you certainly are no longer selling it to the exclusive sports car crowd.

On the other hand, it provides ammunition for the guy to use with his wife. "See how flexible my new Porsche is going to be? It's not just a sports car, it has SOoooo many OTHER uses."

Yeah, sure.

larry
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by larry47us
I think that the current ad campaign is interesting, but when you show the 911 as a School Bus, Pickup Truck, etc etc, you certainly are no longer selling it to the exclusive sports car crowd.
I think the ads are meant to be tongue in cheek but, that said, haven't 911s always been marketed as bullet proof drivers' cars? They've competed in the Paris to Dakar rally!

One of the reasons I was able to convince my wife that we should buy a 911 is that it actually has a useable back seat for our little kids. I drive my daughter to school every day and while there are certainly more minivans than sports cars in the parking lot, I don't think anybody sees the car and thinks, "Wow, it really is like a school bus."

-Eric
Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
It will be interesting to see how the Boxster/Cayman change the Porsche ownership demographics in the long-term.

For many guys in their 20s, a used Boxster at 15K is a fairly reasonable purchase. Hey, its a Consumer Reports Best Buy, after all!. Boxsters and Caymans, although terrific in their own rights, are in many cases stepping stones to the more expensive 911. My guess is that this marketing will shift the average age of 911 acquisition down several years over the long run.

It will be interesting to see how Porsche balances perceived exclusivity, which is central to its brand, with a shift in target market demographics. A very difficult balance.

I guess the current ad campaign provides some insight.
I wonder how the people that build these cars feel about which model they're working on. Is there a model pecking order with 911 builders only the most experienced? More than likely they rotate around different model factories.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Not sure if doing the higher priced cars is a badge of honor -- but I have heard rumors that when a car is particularly good coming off the line, they single it out to be painted black.

The borderline ones are painted silver. The worst ones -- the real lemons -- are red and, appropriately, yellow. The rationale for doing this is much the same as the person who orders a steak well done in a nice restaurant. He is likely to get a lesser cut because he is incapable of discerning the quality difference anyway.

It's just a subtle and simple way for the people who work on the line to differentiate the quality of their handiwork.

Last edited by Zurichgnome; 09-21-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
Not sure if doing the higher priced cars is a badge of honor -- but I have heard rumors that when a car is particularly good coming off the line, they single it out to be painted black.
LOL.

(but they paint it first )
Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

OMG, are you guys serious? Yes, it is your MLC but 'So What' you now have a P-Car, get over it.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM
zabuch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just drive the help out of it you only go around once inthis life do you!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM
buddy911t
Pro

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
OMG, are you guys serious? Yes, it is your MLC but 'So What' you now have a P-Car, get over it.
I think what irritates me the most is the use of the word crisis. I hate to admit how much my car means to me and has done for my quality of life, to call it a crisis of any kind is absurd.

Quick Reply: Mid-life crisis?