Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Developing bad habits with my Turbo, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all your comments both good and bad.

Many have taken this post out of context.

In a 996 Turbo, it's possible to drive fast enough, brake hard enough and push thru sucessive turns rapidly to make your passenger queezy, scared and bruised. All the while being perfectly safe and neither approaching the limits of the car or drivers level of skill.

Those that have a Turbo or GT3 will understand this. I would in no way compromise the safety of my passengers or other motorists on the road for a quick thrill.

My youngest son, 34 and an R1 pilot said his wife likes fast cars and wanted a ride in my Turbo. 3 miles and half a dozen turns later she felt it was too much. I felt bad for over doing it and making her sick. Fast yes, unsafe, no.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

This may help me and others that drive too fast on public streets

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...2311?gt1=39002
Old 08-24-2011, 11:01 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Thanks for all your comments both good and bad.

Many have taken this post out of context.

In a 996 Turbo, it's possible to drive fast enough, brake hard enough and push thru sucessive turns rapidly to make your passenger queezy, scared and bruised. All the while being perfectly safe and neither approaching the limits of the car or drivers level of skill.

Those that have a Turbo or GT3 will understand this. I would in no way compromise the safety of my passengers or other motorists on the road for a quick thrill.

My youngest son, 34 and an R1 pilot said his wife likes fast cars and wanted a ride in my Turbo. 3 miles and half a dozen turns later she felt it was too much. I felt bad for over doing it and making her sick. Fast yes, unsafe, no.

Thanks!
I disagree Nick.

What you did could be reasonable under controlled conditions. For example, many SCCA Solo drivers take passengers out for a "ride".

Your insistence that what you did was not just safe, but "perfectly safe" is troubling.

In cases like this the ego may convince one that their own safety, or the safety of the passengers is of chief concern. It is not. In your story the driver and passengers set out with the purpose of thrill seeking. So be it. My concern is for the innocents who would never be able to accurately predict the rate of closing for a car/motorcycle traveling at 120+ MPH.

Your superior driving skills and hardware only increases the risk to those who barely passed their driving test and drive mere mortal vehicles.

Did you happen to read Michael Waltrip's comments regarding his recent Le Mans experience? The part about his 458 Italia being passed by the R18 TDI on the Mulsanne is suggested reading.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Once again, I am reminded of the kid with Daddy's M5 who insisted online how "he's responsible so it's OK" while driving 3x the speed limit, and asked about how to make the car FASTER still. He made the papers a couple days later when he drove off the side of a raised runway.

Darwin smiled, in that mona lisa kind of way.

Interestingly, many of us discover we don't know the first thing about safe high speed driving at our first track day. Not saying this is Nick's case, but sayin...
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Once again, I am reminded of the kid with Daddy's M5 who insisted online how "he's responsible so it's OK" while driving 3x the speed limit, and asked about how to make the car FASTER still. He made the papers a couple days later when he drove off the side of a raised runway.

Darwin smiled, in that mona lisa kind of way.

Interestingly, many of us discover we don't know the first thing about safe high speed driving at our first track day. Not saying this is Nick's case, but sayin...
I remember this as well
Old 08-25-2011, 01:55 AM
sgtfury40
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I hate to be downer on this, but I think I should say something. As a newbie atty I interned in vehicular crimes in Maricopa County AZ. I can't tell you how many times cases I came across where drivers were doing exactly what you are doing. In many cases, it wasn't what the driver of the 120mph vehicle that caused an accident, but when the inexperienced driver made a lane change in front of him. Unless you are driving on a completely abandoned piece of roadway you are taking a great risk. Not to mention what can result from an unforseen mechanical or tire failure at high speeds. You just never know what can happen, and with passengers no less. Plenty of good people have found themselves in prison for doing something they thought they were in control of, only to find out that their actions contributed to the injuries or death of someone else. Not to be dramatic, but going that fast on a public road is criminal and if something bad should happen you will be charged. Think about how you would feel not being able to be with your family because you were in prison or worse, in a coma, or hospital. Think about how you would feel if your actions, albeit unintentional, caused injury orthe death of someone else. And simply for the thrill of taking the turbo to the limit on a public road. Take it from me, it's not worth it. I have a n/a C4 and go through the same thing, and sometimes I go to fast than I should. But I am trying as we all should. Take a deep breath. Get home safely. If this isn't enough - take it to the track.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtfury40
Well, I hate to be downer on this, but I think I should say something. As a newbie atty I interned in vehicular crimes in Maricopa County AZ. I can't tell you how many times cases I came across where drivers were doing exactly what you are doing. In many cases, it wasn't what the driver of the 120mph vehicle that caused an accident, but when the inexperienced driver made a lane change in front of him. Unless you are driving on a completely abandoned piece of roadway you are taking a great risk. Not to mention what can result from an unforseen mechanical or tire failure at high speeds. You just never know what can happen, and with passengers no less. Plenty of good people have found themselves in prison for doing something they thought they were in control of, only to find out that their actions contributed to the injuries or death of someone else. Not to be dramatic, but going that fast on a public road is criminal and if something bad should happen you will be charged. Think about how you would feel not being able to be with your family because you were in prison or worse, in a coma, or hospital. Think about how you would feel if your actions, albeit unintentional, caused injury orthe death of someone else. And simply for the thrill of taking the turbo to the limit on a public road. Take it from me, it's not worth it. I have a n/a C4 and go through the same thing, and sometimes I go to fast than I should. But I am trying as we all should. Take a deep breath. Get home safely. If this isn't enough - take it to the track.
Big big big +1

Quick Reply: Developing bad habits with my Turbo, HELP!