Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Developing bad habits with my Turbo, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Developing bad habits with my Turbo, HELP!

Since I bought my Turbo Cab a few months ago I'm developing an insatiable desire to drive too fast. Yesterday after picking up a pizza and catching I-215 for a short segment between 2 exits, I accelerated up to 122mph. This is pretty foolish I know. Then right after on a twisty sweeper with a 50mph limit I ran up to 87mph. Much worse than this is when my brother bought his X50 Turbo a few months ago and ask if wanted to take it in the canyon for a drive. I did and unintentionally had him screaming and commanding to slow it way down.

I took my son and his wife for a ride last night in the canyon and drove way too fast and aggressive. Son was ok with it but his wife posted on Facebook she is sore and bruised from being slammed around in a Porsche Turbo going way too fast up the canyon. I've done this to others as well.

I feel really bad and remorseful afterward and find myself apoligizing profusely. I seem to not know what reaction my passengers will have until after the fact. I feel I'm in 100% control, relaxed and driving at much less than what the car is capable of and my driving skills. I roadraced 750 and Open Superbike for about 8 years and have hundreds of races under my belt. I feel comfortable at speed and screaming up on tight turns before breaking. This drives my passengers nuts. I always see them slam their right foot to the ground as their natural reaction to braking while I'm still full throttle, full boost heading for a turn. A hard and quick brake and initiation of a turn slams them forward and right or left. It doesn't affect me I guess because I'm driving.

I have two GSXR motorcycles that I can ride as fast as I want that I thought would cure me for the speed fix. I don't want to track my car because I don't want to deal with the stress, time and money commitment. Once hooked, it gets worse and worse, been there.

My DD is a Jeep Cherokee and or one of several motorcycles. I generally just drive the P car either after work or on weekends. Sometimes only once a week, so it's almost like a new experience every time I drive.

I can't keep this up. My friends and relatives will want nothing to do with me and I realize I can't beat the odds forever. I may end up in a serious accident, though no fault on my part except driving too fast to avoid a situation. I could loose my license if caught going too fast over the limit.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Bluc4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really?... slow down
Old 08-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

No fault on your part except driving too fast? Tell that to the other driver's family when you hurt someone.

Take it to the track. You obviously have experience there on your bikes.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Not sure but can't you set the car alarm to go off at specified speed.?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 AM
Janusz
Instructor

I drive really fast whenever I consider it is safe. I do it for more then 45 years already and I never experienced anything more then minor low speed fender bender on a public road.

Motorcycles? I have two of them currently: 2004 R1 and 2001 Moto Guzzi V11S and I ride them really hard on public roads (again, only when I CONSIDER ITS SAFE) and also go for track days couple of times a year. I ride m/cycles more then 45 years also and had only one spill on public road at speed more then 30 km/hr in my life (not my fault, hit by the pick-up truck from behind, I was riding too slow that day I guess).

I also have one cruiser which I use to take my wife for rides. We go slow on the cruiser. You have to brake before the sharper turns on the cruiser anyways or you scrape your floorboards too hard on the pavement.

Just for a proper perspective: every time I am on the bike I reach speeds over 200km/hr couple of times, some days only for a moment or two, sometimes when the traffic allows for longer. On my P car when coming home there is a stretch of uphill road (no radar traps) and when the traffic allows I would always reach redline in the 4th gear and then continue faster or not depending on the traffic.

I never feel bad or remorseful about my driving or riding. If I did I would not do it.

I see how some people say that speed kills. I couldn't disagree more. I think inattention and lack of imagination does. You see it every day.

If speed killed all the Germans would be dead already and half of the other Europeans too.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the Turbo and get a Porsche with under 300 HP. You can still go plenty fast enough to get into trouble, but you have to work a lot harder to get up to those speeds, and therefore give yourself time to think.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

but you have to work a lot harder to get up to those speeds
Not really............!
Pete
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll take your car, and be responsible with driving it, I promise.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My only suggestion would be to sell me your turbo to rid yourself of the need to speed. I'd say once you do get pinched by the law and receive a huge $ ticket, you may slow down...If not, my offer still stands.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Join your local PCA'ers at the track! Get it alllll out of your system. After that, driving fast on the street just won't do it for you.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nick, not to worry, I get the same itch whenever I take the Turbo out. But, and maybe it's my age talking and the 1 and 3 year old I have at home, but when that needs comes I temper it and just do a quick "boost" to get the "fast" feeling and then I'm good. For example, 2nd gear at 20 mph and punch it to about 60 (in a 45) and then I'm good. When I go to the track I get all that thrill (triple digit speed) out of me until the next time and know that I can always go to the track to get that need met.

I'm sure you are in "control" to the best of your ability but you are NOT in control of the elements, the road conditions, debris, the other driver, etc, etc, etc............
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

It doesn't sound like you are very smooth with your inputs.

You should not be WOT coming up to a turn, slam the brakes and then jerk the wheel.

this sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

You feel that there is stress, time and commitment involved in tracking the turbo? Hmmm, I think most guys here who track their cars would disagree... First off driving in a closed environment with 10-15 people on track usually is not stressfull. You say u raced motorcycles? Track day is not a race... Yes people are pushing their cars really hard but groups have certain passing rules designed to keep eachother out of harms way. Second, time? One Saturday a month will most likely keep your need for speed in check on public roads. 3 hours at wide open throttle fighting the turbo through turns should satify you till the next event. If not go every other weekend... $ well, track days can be as cheap as $125-300 per day plus consumables... realtively inexpensive for someone owning a $100,000+ sports car. Besides these cars want to be tested at the track. I have have similiar credentials as you, coming from 5 superbikes before buying my pcar. I bet once you find the time to track you will be hooked and will most likely stop driving so aggresively on the streets. Now, if i had canyon roads near my house i might eat some of those words.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Agreed. The track is the answer to all of your problems. You'll be amazed at how it limits your desire to drive stupidly on the streets (and believe me from what you've said you are driving stupidly whether or not your realize it). Despite your experience racing bikes and whatever skills you may or may not possess, while you're on the street you can't control the other morons on the road. On the track you can get your thrills without worrying about a 3 year old darting out in front of your car, or grandma merging into the side of you, or the other million things that can go wrong on the street. You also quickly remember how much more fun/thrilling it is to do 100 mph towards a hard turn than it is to just go in a straight line on a highway.

-Shawn
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To the OP:

I just think your an a**hole. Slow down.

Quick Reply: Developing bad habits with my Turbo, HELP!