Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Developing bad habits with my Turbo, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Join your local PCA'ers at the track! Get it alllll out of your system. After that, driving fast on the street just won't do it for you.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for your comments so far, maybe talking about this will help me keep things under control.

Another point, I drove my n/a 996 cab up the same canyon for years with passengers and would sometimes have them in awe aproaching and exiting a few turns. The difference between a n/a car and the Turbo is like a glider and an F16.

The Turbo will press the passenger back in the seat approaching a turn then even a quick and fluid brake and steering change will throw them forward and slam them against the door. Things happen so much more quickly in the Turbo. It's fun and giggles for me and being caught up in the moment, I forget my passenger is getting sick, scared to death and slammed around.

I'll work on trying to be more considerate.

I do have a perfect driving record, and I'm a very courteous driver, never passing illegally or driving fast too close to other cars. I always expect a moose, dumped oil or gravel around the next blind corner. I've seen my share of crashed cars and bikes with dead drivers and passengers from unfortunate situations.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like it might end up like this soon..
Old 08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I get the feeling that we are getting our collective chains yanked.....just saying.
Pete
Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is so funny to see so many people on a 911 forum calling a guy an ******* for driving fast. If there are no other cars around and you aren't putting anyone in danger then have fun. That is my opinion of course.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

^^ +1

This happens on all car forums.

Every time a speed(ing) related thread was started there'd be people posting comments like they never, ever speed before. It's more funny when it's a Porsche 911 forum.

Surely 911s were not bought for being the ultimate chick-magnet? Never worked for me, my car is more of a dude magnet.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:14 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pszikla
I get the feeling that we are getting our collective chains yanked.....just saying.
Pete
No, that is what most of the IMSB threads are for.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
To the OP:

I just think your an a**hole. Slow down.
This unprovoked and unwarranted comment is BS. I am sure if you met the OP in person your tone would be very different, put down the keyboard tough guy.

To the OP: I think you may be a little too tempted to show off your fast car to your passengers. Do you often drive fast when you are alone? I'd bet this temptation(to show off the car) has gotten the better of most of us at some point in time.

Certainly MOST of us push our performance cars far too hard on the streets at times otherwise we would not be serious car enthusiasts.

To all of you on your high horses, it must be nice...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Nick, not to worry, I get the same itch whenever I take the Turbo out. But, and maybe it's my age talking and the 1 and 3 year old I have at home, but when that needs comes I temper it and just do a quick "boost" to get the "fast" feeling and then I'm good. For example, 2nd gear at 20 mph and punch it to about 60 (in a 45) and then I'm good. When I go to the track I get all that thrill (triple digit speed) out of me until the next time and know that I can always go to the track to get that need met.

I'm sure you are in "control" to the best of your ability but you are NOT in control of the elements, the road conditions, debris, the other driver, etc, etc, etc............
+1. That's what I do.

There is one road near me that is about 4 miles long with nothing on it and leads to a dead end. The local LEOs will ignore you if you want to make a run on it. I took it out there once (by myself) and ran it up to 140 before I realized how fast I was going and backed down.

It got there in a hurry, and man did it feel planted. Amazing car. Still, it's not the safest thing I have ever done and I do realize that a blow out from road debris or something could have been really bad.

Future high speed endeavors will be at a track only.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Let he who is blameless cast the first...post?

Yeah I for one have opened up some 4th gear action before not on track. It was a lot more fun at NCCAR opening up some 5th gear goodness but it was scarier too seeing as how the straight is only straight but for so long.

I've found that most people in general are terrified at anything but the easiest driving. I can't drive my mom anywhere because, even in my stock 325Ci with all of its blazing 184hp, she freaks out when I turn at an intersection at greater than 5 mph.

You ever see those cars that have the entire front dash covered with boxes of tissues and stuffed animals? You have to remember that is how most people drive; slow enough to keep a collection of stuff on the dash like it is your living room mantle. My car is always "secured for sea."

So yeah keep it safe and just don't goose it with people in the car. I for one am very thankful to have another autocrosser as my girlfriend because she is used to late braking and all of the high-g stuff that scares most people even at speeds below 40mph.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything is beautiful, in its own way la la la la la la laaaaaa!!!!!

170hp on a GSX-R1000 gives the option of lowsiding then highsiding.....then slamming ino the ground head first with the helment smashing down on clavicle snapping it in two places and hitting so hard it bruised my head slightly stunning me which was nice since my bike was lining me up doing a flip before it slammed me while landing. La la la wham. 6 ribs looking like trash. Photo's don't show all the breaks. Crawled out of hospital as soon as I could leaving them enough money to buy a turbo porsche. Insurance doesn't go where the price tag went and my cost was a turbo porsche. It was just a little imvisible debri on the road la la la la laaa la la everything is beautiful until you get your *** waxed.

Crushed rib cage and blood in the lungs. You never know when some fool in his charger or some fool car goes and pulls off the road or skirts the side of the road knocking trash on your riding line. Or a rain you weren't there for washed fine debri across the road. 5 months ago and I'm still hurting. Soooooo ride safe. You don't want to find out how whimpy morphine and oxicodin are. Aint nothing going to stop the pain of getting thrashed really bad.
Attached Images     
Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

well I guess we can start with this one

Last edited by Shark Attack; 02-23-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

little girl was doing 140+

Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Time to close this train wreck......
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Ryan Dunns car after 140

Quick Reply: Developing bad habits with my Turbo, HELP!