Sponsored by:

Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Doug
I wasn't naive enough to expect them to last for 55,000 km on the front...I would have been astounded. My car has 90,000 km on the clock and this is my 8th set of tires, soon to have the 9th ( a few extra fronts and rears thrown in at intervals). My comments were solely in regard to words like "up to 2 times longer tread wear than other competitors" and "limited tread wear warranty". I have searched for the full warranty that defines what "limited" means and no luck.
No disparagement meant towards Michelin, only a general comment about full disclosure by manufacturers of any sort.
On the positive side, I had a great track season...enjoyed every minute of wearing out a perfectly good set of tires and looking forward to many more days of accelerated tire wear.
Regards
Ian
Old 09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Ian -

I think I know what you mean. I have been thinking of getting a set of Super Sports and one of the attractive things about them is the supposed better wear. But then I never have tracked my car.

I do have a few friends that track their cars on a regular basis and it seems that they go through tires and brakes in a very short time. This seems to be cone of the major expenses of tracing cars. Several of them run Hoosiers or other strictly track tires. They have said that street tires with full tread tend to overheat and eat themselves up. I think some drivers do shave the tread down for track use but this seems an expensive route when paying as much as you do for Michelins.

What did you think of them for street tires? I know that the reviews are really good and they are 20% or so less than the PS2's that I have now.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Doug
I have no hesitation in recommending them for street tires. I've had 2 x Continentals, Kumhos, Goodyears, PS2s, 2 x Yokohama AD07s and the Supersports. Supersports are relatively quiet, are superb in the wet and have excellent turn-in and handling characteristics.
In comparison to my previous favourite, the AD07s, quieter and better street ride. It's hard to compare on track to the AD07s as one would need back to back with tires that have equivalent wear but I believe AD07s (and I'm sure the replacement AD08s) wear better, perhaps better in dry and likely not better in wet.
Conclusion? You can't go wrong with these tires.
You are right about tires and brakes being consumables if you track the car frequently. Rotors, pads and tires are the price of admission but it is all worth it. On the flip side, the only on track mechanical incident I've had is blowing a Mass Air Flow Sensor..that's it for 11 seasons which is amazing in comparison to other marques.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports