Sponsored by:

Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Pilot Super Sports

Well its time for new shoes. I have had the Sumi 3's for 3 sets now and was very satisfied with them. Saw the Pilot Super Sports at a cheaper price than PS2's and decided to get them. They are about $400 more than the Sumi. Getting them mounted on Tuesday and I'm giddy.

Always wanted the PS2 but could not justify the cost. Apparently the PS2 is being discontinued in the sometime future. Any of you running these? Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking around on the tire sites - on Discount Tire Direct, people are giving good reviews to a Hankook tire - the set of 4 of them is in the high $600 range if you don't get the warranty. Claims of being very quiet and a lot of grip. When the time comes I might consider them. Z rated tire. Tire Rack has them also - $646 for 4.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 is the model. Anyone here have them?

They came in 2nd in this Car & Driver test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10
Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Never tried the pilots....but to answer steves....I have those hankooks....for no track 100% street use..i don't think you can beat them...used them for many sets on various cars...
FYI I'm pretty sure they still come with free warranty....up to initial 2/10 tread wear or something like that...i had a nail and unrepairable....tirerack replaced them free of charge as i still had 8/10 or something like that tread left.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

I have been running PS2's for some time now but the rears are about shot and all of them are stale dated so I want to replace them soon. PS2's are too pricey and I had also been considering the Hankooks. Seems like some love them and other hate them, same with the Sumi's. Now I think I am going to go with the new Pilot Super Sports too. They are not yet available in an "N" rated version (but then again neither are the Hankooks or Sumi's), but I think that Porsche has been involved in the development of the tires. And if you read the reviews they are supposed to corner and brake better than the PS2's and to last longer, and are significantly less expensive. I have priced them about everywhere and all the on-line dealers are pretty close, and there is usually a $70 discount card if you buy a set of 4. However I think I am going to go with Costco which will order them for me. Installed they are about the same as buying form Tirerack or the other on-line sources, having them shipped and installed locally (roughly $1,050 to $1,000) but Costco includes the road hazard warranty in the price which is an extra $75 to $100 through the on-line sources.

I am curious what you think f them after you run them for a week ro two.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

the super sports are getting good press.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 PM
cdaniels
Racer

so the Pilot Super Sports are better and cheaper than PS2's? Good to hear...I've been running PS2's and have been pleased but they are expensive.....I run them for street and track(about 8 track days per year) and find them a good compromise....
Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 PM
nrf
7th Gear

I just replaced my Conti contact 2's with the Pilot Super Sports and am very pleased.
The Conti's were suffering from old age and were crashy, noisy and and took a while to warm up.
The PSS deal with bad pavement much better and turn in is crisp. Rear tires are much quieter so that you mostly notice tread noise from the front. Although I haven't pushed them yet there is tons of road feel. 15K tread warranty and the current rebate swayed my choice.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I have been running PS2's for some time now but the rears are about shot and all of them are stale dated so I want to replace them soon. PS2's are too pricey and I had also been considering the Hankooks. Seems like some love them and other hate them, same with the Sumi's. Now I think I am going to go with the new Pilot Super Sports too. They are not yet available in an "N" rated version (but then again neither are the Hankooks or Sumi's), but I think that Porsche has been involved in the development of the tires. And if you read the reviews they are supposed to corner and brake better than the PS2's and to last longer, and are significantly less expensive. I have priced them about everywhere and all the on-line dealers are pretty close, and there is usually a $70 discount card if you buy a set of 4. However I think I am going to go with Costco which will order them for me. Installed they are about the same as buying form Tirerack or the other on-line sources, having them shipped and installed locally (roughly $1,050 to $1,000) but Costco includes the road hazard warranty in the price which is an extra $75 to $100 through the on-line sources.

I am curious what you think f them after you run them for a week ro two.
I'm curious too. I will be sure to write back.

My local Tire Barn beat the rack. I'll be out the door for $1200. I never thought of Costco! But even the price I got them for is way under a PS2 cost. I hope Michelin isn't starting the price out low just get us all hooked and than pull the rug out.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 PM
nrf
7th Gear

The rebate on these tires does not apply to discount clubs like Costco. This is straight from the rebate form and is only good till 9/7. You can check by going to the Michelin site and use the dealer locator, it shows where you get the rebate. The price I paid was a bit less than Tirerack from a local dealer.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Guys;
I have been looking for a new set of sneakers for my C-2. I want to run a slightly larger size, 235/40ZR18 up front and a 295/30ZR 18 in the rear, but can't find the (rear) sizes, just yet. Waht sizes are you running, please......as the PSS are getting good reviews....I was advised to look at Yokahama Neova's (stiffer sidewall?)....any thoughts, as it will be time to replace my sumi III's here shortly.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

At the Costco we go to when the Michelin rebate is in effect they advertise it and give you the $70 right off the price when you pay.

Last edited by Dharn55; 08-15-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Country911
Guys;
I have been looking for a new set of sneakers for my C-2. I want to run a slightly larger size, 235/40ZR18 up front and a 295/30ZR 18 in the rear, but can't find the (rear) sizes, just yet. Waht sizes are you running, please......as the PSS are getting good reviews....I was advised to look at Yokahama Neova's (stiffer sidewall?)....any thoughts, as it will be time to replace my sumi III's here shortly.
The sizes you mention are my current on the Sumi's. I went with the same size for the front but went to a 285/35/18 on the rear. Looking at the specs the diameter from front to rear is a .3" difference. Should work just fine.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have about 1200 miles of track time on the SuperSports in both wet and dry at Calabogie Motorsports Park in Ontario, Canada. It is a very high grip track with plenty of late apex corners. My car is an 01 C2 cab with PSS9 suspension. My previous 2 sets of tires were Yokohama Advan AD07s. It is difficult to compare tires without back to back runs. The SuperSports were great in the rain and grip well in the dry. Turn in is good and they give way gradually and predictably. I had real difficulty in dialling the right pressure in compared to the Yokohamas. Finally settled on 34 F, 40R hot. These tires build up heat quickly. If you start out 38 R cold, hot at the end of a 28 minute minute session will be 50!
I've noticed reasonable wear on the outside edge of each tire...no way they will last to the warranty period. I also used to swap the Yoko's side to side by removing tires from wheels and exchanging them (required as they are directional) which helped them to wear more evenly. The Michelins are asymmetrical so only the tire and wheel can be swapped side to side so outside edge is always outside edge.
I believe the Yoko sidewalls must be stiffer as I didn't notice as much outside edge wear.
Any pressure advice is welcome.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rideau....did you change you suspension setup when you switched to the michelins?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope, car is set up the same as when Yokos were on.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports