Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011 | 03:54 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

well then, you might need to change your suspension settings for the super sports.

BTW, totally jealous of Calabogie. They opened that track 6 months after I left Ottawa
Old 08-15-2011 | 05:36 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

The reviews on them are great. I just wish they had them in the stock size for my C4S!
Old 08-16-2011 | 10:40 AM
1way2rock
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rideau
I have about 1200 miles of track time on the SuperSports in both wet and dry at Calabogie Motorsports Park in Ontario, Canada. It is a very high grip track with plenty of late apex corners. My car is an 01 C2 cab with PSS9 suspension. My previous 2 sets of tires were Yokohama Advan AD07s. It is difficult to compare tires without back to back runs. The SuperSports were great in the rain and grip well in the dry. Turn in is good and they give way gradually and predictably. I had real difficulty in dialling the right pressure in compared to the Yokohamas. Finally settled on 34 F, 40R hot. These tires build up heat quickly. If you start out 38 R cold, hot at the end of a 28 minute minute session will be 50!
I've noticed reasonable wear on the outside edge of each tire...no way they will last to the warranty period. I also used to swap the Yoko's side to side by removing tires from wheels and exchanging them (required as they are directional) which helped them to wear more evenly. The Michelins are asymmetrical so only the tire and wheel can be swapped side to side so outside edge is always outside edge.
I believe the Yoko sidewalls must be stiffer as I didn't notice as much outside edge wear.
Any pressure advice is welcome.
What did you have them at cold to get 34F and 40R hot?
Old 08-16-2011 | 10:57 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

"well then, you might need to change your suspension settings for the super sports.

BTW, totally jealous of Calabogie. They opened that track 6 months after I left Ottawa"
I have as much negative camber as possible without going to GT-3 control arms, camber plates etc. Maybe if I try going up in stiffness? Set at 7 now.
Regarding Calabogie, fly in and rent one of their track prepared Mustangs for a few days!

"What did you have them at cold to get 34F and 40R hot?"
I don't know as I kept starting the days with different cold pressures (reducing each time) and always had to let air out to reduce tendency to slide. Understeer on wet track was quite exciting, especially at the end of a session if they were over 40 in front. Hot at 34F, 40R was great, didn't want to go down any further.
Old 08-17-2011 | 08:32 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Where do the sell these, I don't see them on Tire Rack.
Old 08-17-2011 | 08:42 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

They're on Tire Rack. They probably just don't have fitments for your car (or mine):

Super Sport Specs on the Tire Rack Site

-Eric
Old 08-17-2011 | 09:57 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Saw the Pilot Super Sports at a cheaper price than PS2's and decided to get them.
Are you getting the $70 rebate? Michelin $70 Rebate
Old 08-18-2011 | 04:16 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

I hope they get them soon, too!
Old 08-18-2011 | 07:47 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

what size are you buying in the super sport ?

I can't find the 295x30x18
Old 08-18-2011 | 08:30 PM
SWK6Cup

Gang:
for the rears, there currently is no 285/295 30 18's (bummer) but, if I am correct, you can use a 35 sidewall as long as the difference in diameter between the front and the rear is not greater than .5", or it screws with with your ABS- according to Spenser at Speedsport Tuning- and he is extremely reputable when it comes to P-cars
Overall tire diameters greater than .5" diameter difference may also screw with your PSM/PASM???. My car doesn'ty have PSM/PASM so I was only told about the potential ABS "issue." I hope that the real guru's in here will confirm this or tell me I'm wrong.

Maybe next year, Michelin will add our sizes to the product mix, until then, this might be the only way if you want new PSS sneakers on your baby.
Old 08-28-2011 | 03:02 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Well so far so good. The tires are very grippy after getting the greasy oil stuff off. Have not had them in the rain yet........nor have I had them on the track yet but will in a few weeks. With the PSS, I was able to play on an off ramp at speeds I couldn't have with the Sumi 3. The tires are very quiet and comfortable. Me likey!!!

ps...I almost forgot about the $70 rebate. More DE cash!
Old 09-07-2011 | 10:49 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Story after 8 track days at Calabogie Motorsports Park (check the track map) with approximately 2600 km distance travelled on track. I'm not the fastest guy out there but am not wasting time either.
Fronts corded on outside edges and unsuitable for another day, rears still ok but not long for this world. I did get better wear from my directional Yoko AD07s as I was able to take them off the rims and swap them side to side so edges wore evenly. The Michelins are asymmetrical so the outside edge is always the outside edge. Should be interesting to see if the tread wear warranty applies.
Old 09-07-2011 | 10:55 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rideau
Story after 8 track days at Calabogie Motorsports Park .......Should be interesting to see if the tread wear warranty applies.
First part rules out the second part.
Old 09-07-2011 | 11:17 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

"First part rules out the second part."

Can't blame a guy for trying....am not holding out any hope. I did check the Michelin web site for warranty info and did not see any disclaimer regarding track in their brief warranty description....I'm sure there are weasel words somewhere to deny a claim given track use.
Old 09-07-2011 | 11:48 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Taking street tires out on the track? Not sure if I would call this "weasel words" if Michelin does not replace them. I have heard lots of stories of street tires coming apart on the track, particularly if they are not shaved. Shoot, there are lots of track tires that would be pretty much gone in 2,600 kim.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports