996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

03 996 Key duplicate

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Car has to be there, along with all keys. It is the car, not the key, being programmed.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mark I
I ordered a blade from this shop in England http://keysinthepost.co.uk by emailing a digital snapshot of my key for ~$20 including postage. Arrived in a few short days & perfect fit.
Those guys are great to do business with, excellent service!

Do NOT buy a keyhead without the code tag...useless.
Don't ask me how I know....
Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Peter, sorry you fell prey to that. Probable repeating scenario: someone connected with reseller pockets the spare key(s), they wind up on ebay as used with notation that it will have to be programmed by dealer; it can't be done. New owner now out $ for replacement & used key purchaser also punked. Word to others in the market: Kauf keinen Schlusselkopf ohne Anhaenger mit Code! Don't but a keyhead without the code tag!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:06 PM
route66lives
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zurichgnome
I have a 02/996. It came with 1 programmed key as well. At some point I will go to the dealer cough up $200+ and get a new full electronic key. But I live quite a way from the dealer and just haven't had a half-day to blow.

In the short term, I bought an OEM 996 blank ($20) and a lighted key head (at Eagle Day, $40) and took them to a local locksmith. He was able to easily cut a valet key ($30) which I use as spare. Works great. Total cost $90 and a half-day of time saved in the short term.

I had to go to several locksmiths as they need a particular machine called a "sidewinder" to do the work.
If your locksmith doesn't have one, they'll likely know who does. It's a small community.

Zurichgnome,

What is the difference between a valet key and the full key? Did the blank still need to have the RFID tag programmed?

thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Targan
Intermediate

Peter, sorry you fell prey to that. Probable repeating scenario: someone connected with reseller pockets the spare key(s), they wind up on ebay as used with notation that it will have to be programmed by dealer; it can't be done. New owner now out $ for replacement & used key purchaser also punked. Word to others in the market: Kauf keinen Schlusselkopf ohne Anhaenger mit Code! Don't but a keyhead without the code tag!
Anybody know where I can pick up a keyhead for a good price? I know I can go to the dealers and pay their price. (My dealer quoted me $240) I have the key made from the UK guy you have listed earlier for 30 bucks. Its in transit. I was wondering if I can buy the keyhead online for a better price that can be later programmed by the dealer.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The range of the fobs aren't worth much and the life span sucks too. So the price is junk. Then key cutting is just lame.

There are cars with the same parts and I have to wonder if the ignition switch is one of them but a switch using a standard style key. A guy doesn't have to be push button mental seeing that you have to be right up on the car anyway to use the fob. What style keys do the Audi's use that share parts with porsche?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Targan: If $240 is a turn-key job (sorry, couldn't resist), that's about as good as you'll be able to do. The keyhead is currently $127ish from the dealer or ebay and another 100 or so plus tax for programming. When you get the keyhead, you do not need to open it to install the blade, it just snaps in. Good Luck
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

When I had my 996, I got a blank key from the dealer and one of the master techs cut the key manually for free. Then I bought a key head (with the code) and had them program it.

For anyone interested I have two brand new remote heads (with codes) for a boxster. I am told that they can be programmed to work with the 996, but you would have an extra button for the trunk. I was also told that it is the same key used for a targa. Kept them as spares in case I lost one but sold the car.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Targan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911porschefan
When I had my 996, I got a blank key from the dealer and one of the master techs cut the key manually for free. Then I bought a key head (with the code) and had them program it.

For anyone interested I have two brand new remote heads (with codes) for a boxster. I am told that they can be programmed to work with the 996, but you would have an extra button for the trunk. I was also told that it is the same key used for a targa. Kept them as spares in case I lost one but sold the car.
911porsche fan,

PM sent. I ll take 'em.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Originally Posted by route66lives
Zurichgnome,

What is the difference between a valet key and the full key? Did the blank still need to have the RFID tag programmed?

thanks
I'm using the term valet here to imply that the key does not have remote capabilities -- doors, trunk. Just a basic "key."

Reading all of these posts about the complexity associated with spares leads me to wonder if there is something wrong with the electronic security system in my car.

Like I said, bought the blank 996 key on eBay, a non-programmable head and had the key cut at the locksmith based on my one master. I did no programming whatsoever. I liked it so much I made another. Same drill. ... the only hitch is that when I open the locked car with the valet key the alarm goes off until I start the ignition. Not a big deal if the valet is just a backup.

But reading all that has been written here, it appears that I may have "lucked into" a bad security system. Certainly would not want to send anyone down the wrong path. But it works for me.

And following on an earlier question ... I don't think I would say the key head/fob is cosmetic. Need to attach the key to something so you can twist it easily. This was the only one I could find that fit the key for certain. I'm sure there are others.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Both the keys and the FOBs have to be programmed by a dealer. The key to the DME/Immobilizer and the FOB to the remote system. When I bought my 2000 back in 2000 (with 4,000 miles) it came with only one key. The dealer included a second key as part of the deal. Back then I actually had to wait to get the title and registration in my name, then provide the dealer with a copy to submit to Porsche before they could get a code from Porsche to program the new key and fob. I think this has changed now.

In any case in the past year or so both my fobs quite working, keys work fine. The dealer want $180+ for fobs and $159 (basically an hour labor although it only take 10 minutes or so) to program the fobs, did not care if it was one or ten, same price for programming. MY indy has a PST2 but said he needs the codes from the dealer and they won't usually give them out as they want the work.

Right now I am going to try the fob repair that was in the June 2010 issue of Excellence magazine. The problem is often just the small switches in the fob. So for less than $5 I have order the parts. If the fix works no programming is needed. If not I will be off to the stealer, but will buy the fobs from Sunset for $122@.

I will post a DIY if the fix works.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

So if what you are saying is true -- and I suspect that it is -- then my electronic security system really is broken.

A mixed blessing I guess -- but it puzzles me that if it is indeed broken/disabled that it accepts any key at all. Strange. Thanks for the insight!

Quick Reply: 03 996 Key duplicate