Sponsored by:

Broken Convertible top frame

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Net_fix
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Can anyone tell me the part number of the broken piece? I had the same issue today. Is it an diy ?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 11:37 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it possible to pull out all the hydraulic and electrical crap and make the top a simple manual system?
Old 05-10-2017, 10:01 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Is it possible to pull out all the hydraulic and electrical crap and make the top a simple manual system?
I'm sure it's POSSIBLE, but not simple. Given the sequence of operations, you'd have to figure out how to manually:
1. Open the clamshell
2. Rotate both side flaps
3. Raise (or lower) the actual top. (this is probably the only simple part)
4. Latch the center hook
5. Rotate both side flaps back.
6. Lower the clamshell

I could see this sequence taking some time or customization to make into a manual operation. Be sure to post up the "how to" if you figure it out!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:45 AM
rezman
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add mine to the list. Both side are broken. It was working fine and suddenly the clam shell wouldn't lift up. I didn't realize it until it was too late. Coincidentally, the rear windows also do not close, even when you cheat and press down the center latch in front. It is an incredibly expensive repair so unless someone finds a way to do it cheaply, my 1999 w/ 21,500 miles will become top down only.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 AM
Ron1319
AutoX

Mine did the same thing. The clamshell didn't open correctly and the top pushed into it and it broke in the same place. I'm trying to find the procedure to remove the top and I'll get a junk yard top including frame to put in its place. I'm just slightly stumped as to which bolts exactly I need to remove. I have the hydraulics out of the way and if I can't find an answer I'm going to just start removing nuts and bolts and see what happens.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:43 PM
colmfmurphy
Instructor

fwiw, I have an '07 cab sitting on my driveway that will be junked if anyone wants the top or parts of it. The top etc look to be in good shape altho the car itself is junk.
I bought it for the motor to fix my 996. I'm slowly getting there.

San Mateo, CA.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:15 PM
rezman
6th Gear

If you have instructions on this DIY project (replacing the entire frame), I would be much obliged. Both of my brackets are broken.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:38 PM
Tom Gilmour
Advanced

I recently replaced my top frame and top (which was badly worn out) with a salvage yard top and frame. It's a pain. You definitely need to order extra clips and some fasteners that will break when removing the old frame. My top goes up and ocks in place perfectly. The problem I'm having is when lowering the clam shell isn't closing when the top is fully down. Stays about a foot in the air.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:40 PM
Richard Gora
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jsoderbe
Hi,

last week I finally got the car over here. It has several issues, most I knew of before I bought it, some not....

Anyway, now I have been able to get some pictures of the convertible top:

This is the broken brackets I mentioned earlier. These are the one holding the rear part of the convertible top, with the rear window:

Reviving this thread – I just tried to open my top after a long winter and after it didn't work went to check the hydraulic fluid, which seemed fine. But then I noticed I have the exact same break in the mount? Anyone able to find a part number for the mount?

I'm not sure if this is it?

Please help!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:59 PM
Teekster
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Try 99656144300

I think that is the same break I had a couple of years ago (driver’s side). I found it on eBay for $75 and paid a convertible shop about $200 to replace it.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:06 PM
Richard Gora
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Teekster
Try 99656144300

I think that is the same break I had a couple of years ago (driver’s side). I found it on eBay for $75 and paid a convertible shop about $200 to replace it.
Thank you, what a relief!
Old 04-06-2020, 08:18 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by rezman
Add mine to the list. Both side are broken. It was working fine and suddenly the clam shell wouldn't lift up. I didn't realize it until it was too late. Coincidentally, the rear windows also do not close, even when you cheat and press down the center latch in front. It is an incredibly expensive repair so unless someone finds a way to do it cheaply, my 1999 w/ 21,500 miles will become top down only.
^^ Time to convert it to a "Speedster"...
Old 03-18-2024, 12:23 PM
Fredster11
1st Gear

Default Broken Convertible Top Frame 2000 911 996 - Help with part numbers

Originally Posted by Richard Gora
Reviving this thread – I just tried to open my top after a long winter and after it didn't work went to check the hydraulic fluid, which seemed fine. But then I noticed I have the exact same break in the mount? Anyone able to find a part number for the mount?

I'm not sure if this is it?

Please help!

Old 03-18-2024, 12:43 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Well at least you know a bunch of others have done the same repair! Just scroll back and you can read how its done! Good Luck
Old 03-25-2024, 01:07 PM
jwhales
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jsoderbe
Hi,

I think I searched and read all different kind of problems with convertible tops, except my problem; the frame is actually broken, on the left side of the car, where the frame is bolted in the chassis!

I bought it with the top up, and the PO said the top was broken, so I can't really be mad at him. However I got the top moving, and everything works exept that I have to raise the actual top manually. It fits as it should, so I didn't spot the broken frame until I attempted to check the hydraulic fluid level.

Question is, what have caused this? On my -86 911 convertible the frame snapped when the wire to the motor broke, causing the motor to only raise one side. It broke instantly, like it was made of paper....

I don't want to weld this up, just to break it in another place!

I have a 2000 996 Convertible. Any advice on what might have caused this, and how to fix it, would be very appreciated!

Thanks,

Johan
i actually have the same problem but both sides broke. the previous owner didnt check the piston that puts the top town. it was leaking hydraulic fluid on one side so when he tried to put the top down only one side worked and it snapped both sides. can buy the replacement on ebay for $125.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (03-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Broken Convertible top frame