Sponsored by:

RMS or nearly ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 PM
JWCOVE
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS or nearly ripped off?

My 99 996 with 39,000 miles had a very slight oil leak so I took it to the dealer, who after about ten minutes, told me I needed my RMS replaced at a cost of about $1,400. This same dealer had replaced my RMS about four years ago at 34,000 miles. I told the dealer I couldn't do the work that day but would bring the car in a week or so later. My concern is that since that day I have not had any oil leak so I decided to wait it out. Its now three weeks later and still no leaks! I am going to get a second opinion at an independent shop, but I just wondered if any of you had some advice for me?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Rob Edwards
Archive Gatekeeper
Rennlist Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,310 Posts

1. An RMS change for $1400 at a dealer sounds too good to be true.

2. It is difficult to make an asymptomatic patient any better.

3. Try the 996 forum.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 PM
928 at last
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maybe

Originally Posted by JWCOVE
My 99 996 with 39,000 miles had a very slight oil leak so I took it to the dealer, who after about ten minutes, told me I needed my RMS replaced at a cost of about $1,400. This same dealer had replaced my RMS about four years ago at 34,000 miles. I told the dealer I couldn't do the work that day but would bring the car in a week or so later. My concern is that since that day I have not had any oil leak so I decided to wait it out. Its now three weeks later and still no leaks! I am going to get a second opinion at an independent shop, but I just wondered if any of you had some advice for me?
Maybe the drive to and from the dealer fixed the problem. With that mileage, sounds like the car needs to be driven more (lots more). If the RMS was just done, and is actually now leaking again, it may be there's more that's wrong. I read an article lately that suggested the crank needs to be checked if it's running true.

If you're now no longer seeing a leak though, (and assuming there's oil in the car) I wouldn't fix what's not broken....
Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 at last
I wouldn't fix what's not broken....
+1. So this one lasted 4 years and you drove 5,000; I'm on a similar rate mileage wise but we don't usu have seals that only last 4 years.

I think you need to drive it more or at least get it to operating temp every 2 weeks.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JWCOVE
Perhaps you meant to post this in 996?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could also be the IMS leaking and not the RMS. Many will mistake one for the other, and you won't know which one it is until you pull the transaxle out. If the dealer cleaned up the area during the inspection, it might take a while to pool again and drip off enough to see again. Keep driving it and keep your eye on the leak.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:08 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

I have had the RMS replaced twice on my 2003 cab under warranty. The first @ ~ 31,000 and 2nd @ ~ 33,000 both times were after the car had been stored for some months.
I was there watching the second time, when latest improved seal was installed in 2008. That seal did not have a spring around the seal lip. I questioned that as it was the first time I had ever seen that type of seal IE: pressed in shaft seal without a spring around the lip?? Evidently at that time Porsche felt that with the slight vacuum created in the crankcase while running the seal was sufficient as designed.

I have found that when the car is stored/lightly driven in the winter the seal will leak just enough to show wet or even a drop hanging at the bottom of the engine-transmission joint. I never see any on the floor under the car. I attribute that to the seal getting a little hard and allowing oil to seep past while not being run.
As soon as I start to drive in the spring the seepage stops and I don't see any signs of leakage until after it sits for a few weeks again. I have come to accept it as a quirk of my 996. I do keep an eye on things but I won't change it unless it starts to drool on the floor or it is time for a clutch/IMSB change.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:27 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Could also be the IMS leaking and not the RMS. Many will mistake one for the other, and you won't know which one it is until you pull the transaxle out. If the dealer cleaned up the area during the inspection, it might take a while to pool again and drip off enough to see again. Keep driving it and keep your eye on the leak.
I had my RMS and IMS replaced last year. Initially we thought it was the RMS but when they went to replace the RMS it was discovered that it was the IMS and the RMS was not leaking. However, both was replaced, the IMS with the LN since the tranaxle was out. If your IMS has not been replaced in the past, it may be worthwhile to take a look.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Rare to see a 99 with RMS Leak... very Rare...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
rpolin
Instructor

For what its worth, I had a PPI done on a car that I eventually ended up purchasing and during the PPI, they stated that the RMS wsa leaking but very little but that they couldn't be 100% sure that it was the RMS as it might have been the IMS. The prior owner had the RMS replaced about 2 years earlier but needless to say, with all the concerns regarding IMS, i decided not to take a chance and when i had the clutch replaced, they took care of the IMS, which is what was actually leaking and not the RMS. Also, the leak was so small that i never had any oil on the floor in my garage.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

When you risk slipping and falling in the oil on your garage floor, it's time to get'er done.

Wife's Boxster shed a couple of oil drops either five or six years ago, a couple of drops of coolant years ago as well. I wiped them up. Been dry on both accounts for years now without intervention or repair.

I fix this stuff for a living, BTW.

Quick Reply: RMS or nearly ripped off?