Sponsored by:

PPI in Bay Area (near Milpitas)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPI in Bay Area (near Milpitas)

Can anyone recommend a Porsche shop for a PPI in or near Milpitas. I don't know the area at all. I believe there's a dealer in Redwood City (Carlsen) and I have a call into their service dept. to see if they do PPIs. The person who answered the phone didn't think so.

I'm not sure I'm at this point with the seller but I want to be prepared.

-Eric
Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Can anyone recommend a Porsche shop for a PPI in or near Milpitas. I don't know the area at all. I believe there's a dealer in Redwood City (Carlsen) and I have a call into their service dept. to see if they do PPIs. The person who answered the phone didn't think so.

I'm not sure I'm at this point with the seller but I want to be prepared.

-Eric
Give Fletcher-Jones Porsche in Fremont CA a call. 510 area code.

There may be an indy in that area... SharkWerks (?) in Fremont might do a PPI.

Here's a link:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/main.php

Give them both a call. If neither F-J or SharkWerks can help you ask if they have a recommendation for a PPI in this area.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 07-15-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Misspelled Sharkwerks...Twice now.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Silver6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car has a sharkwerks license plate holder on it as well. You may want to give them a call and see if they have any additional history on the car as well. For that reason I would be more inclined to take it to someone else for PPI. They are a good shop from what I hear, but I always like to get a truly independent assessment.

GL
Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heyer Performance in Mountain View, CA. They have 996's in the shop all the time.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

So I just reached out to Sharkwerks. They don't do PPIs. I asked them if they could recommend a shop but they said, "Sadly, due to California and liability it's not a normal service." Is that right?!

-Eric
Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

So I just reached out to Sharkwerks. They don't do PPIs. I asked them if they could recommend a shop but they said, "Sadly, due to California and liability it's not a normal service." Is that right?!

-Eric
Not unless things have changed very recently.

Just a month or so ago I asked my local Porsche dealer service manager if his service department did PPIs and he said 'yes'. I forget the cost. The PPI is the same PPI the dealer techs perform on cars the dealer is buying from another dealer, or accepting as a trade in or going to CPO. It is a pretty extensive inspection/check out.

The Livermore dealer is a ways from Milpitas -- between 24 to 33 miles one way depending upon which one of two routes one takes -- but if you want give the service manager a call and ask him what's involved and the cost. Maybe he would agree to send you (FAX you) a copy of the PPI check out list, what's involved? This at least gives you an idea of what you can expect to pay and what's checked/inspected so you can use this to see if the place you do find to do a PPI and you are on the same page.

Oh, Porsche of Livermore. Here's a link with address/phone number:

http://www.porscheoflivermore.com/?gaw=adwords

John B. is the service manager.

There is a Porsche dealership in Santa Clara, CA (408 area code). Stevens Creek Porsche, IIRC is the name of the dealership. I do not know if it does PPIs but you can give the dealer a call and ask. Santa Clara is less than 10 miles from Milpitas which is obviously more convenient than Livermore Porsche.

I do not recall the name of the service manager at Stevens Creek Porsche.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Stevens Creek will perform one...$365. A lot of other dealers and shops that I spoke with said no.

-Eric
Old 07-16-2011, 03:42 AM
int90
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.therennshop.com/
Old 07-16-2011, 07:55 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey Eric if it has a plate on it I might at least know something about the car and stuff so I could give you some info (no charge). In terms of official PPI's a lot of indy's don't really do it although the dealership does. If you do end up flying out and are serious I'll happily hook up the tools to read stuff out and look at it with you it's just it wouldn't be as a "paid" service or anything.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Hi Alex, Stevens Creek is going to do a PPI on it. I'd love to see if you know anything about the car though! The seller and I are ironing out some final details but I am definitely serious about it. At this point, it's all going to come down to the PPI.

-Eric
Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Eric,

You have an awesome support here with the PPI at Stevens Creek and getting Alex to take a second look at it. I would get an oil change on the car there if you plan to drive the car back east. That car has been sitting for how long now?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Alex, Stevens Creek is going to do a PPI on it. I'd love to see if you know anything about the car though! The seller and I are ironing out some final details but I am definitely serious about it. At this point, it's all going to come down to the PPI.

-Eric
Hi Eric, if at all possible can you email me any details you have on it and I can go from there See what I can find?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chsu74
Eric,
You have an awesome support here with the PPI at Stevens Creek and getting Alex to take a second look at it. I would get an oil change on the car there if you plan to drive the car back east. That car has been sitting for how long now?
It's been in storage for a little over a year -- they keep it on charge, start the car and turn the wheels over every month. It's not just kept under covers.

Based on how long it's been in storage, I'll definitely have an oil change done -- assuming the PPI checks out. The tech that I spoke to was a little concerned about the length of time it's been in storage and that it only had 24K miles on it. He said, "These cars are like athletes. They need their exercise otherwise they tend to get fat and lazy..." I don't want my 'new to me' 911 to be fat and lazy.

I'd love to drive it back east but I just started a new job and can't imagine getting the time off for that right now so I'm going to arrange to have it shipped. I have some friends who are dealers out here and they've recommended some shippers to me.

-Eric
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Eric sent you an email back and hopefully that helps
Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

That helps a lot! Thanks, Alex.

-Eric

Quick Reply: PPI in Bay Area (near Milpitas)