Sponsored by:

90,000 mile maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Juc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90,000 mile maintenance?

Hi all, just called the dealership to see what other items are required in addition to an oil change at 90k miles. They indicated i needed spark plugs, serpentine belt and all oils changed...and that 90k was a major maintenance milestone.

looking through maintenance checklists online i see no mention of needing a serpentine belt at 90k miles or major maintenance at 90k.

What exactly should i be replacing/checking on at 90k? Just moved to the east bay, ca and still searching for indy. I do not plan on getting this done at the dealership but was curious as to what i would be in for.

thoughts?

Thanks,
Juc
Old 07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Juc
Track Day

um ya....its a 2001.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
03911TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't changed the water pump, I would suggest that...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at your owner's manual? You'll get a lot of good information from that source. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're doing it yourself, just look in the owner's manual, or download the form that lists all the items to inspect, I think it's on renntech.

I know 60K inspection has the belt and fuel filter and plugs replaced which is the "Major Maintenance", I think 90k is the same. I think it's just inspect the belt at 90k, however, mine looked a little rough at 60k and it had been done around 30k. It isn't hard to replace, just take out the airbox, print belt diagram, use printed diagram to reinstall new belt, reinstall airbox. You'll be replacing the air filter anyway. It takes about 30 minutes, start to finish.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

What exactly should i be replacing/checking on at 90k?
We'll start with the following list.. Derived from the real world.

-Water pump
-AOS
-Vario cam wear pads
-Spark plugs
-Serp belt
-All idler bearings/ idlers
-All 3 timing chain tensioners
-Coil packs

Thats just the start...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Juc
Hi all, just called the dealership to see what other items are required in addition to an oil change at 90k miles. They indicated i needed spark plugs, serpentine belt and all oils changed...and that 90k was a major maintenance milestone.

looking through maintenance checklists online i see no mention of needing a serpentine belt at 90k miles or major maintenance at 90k.

What exactly should i be replacing/checking on at 90k? Just moved to the east bay, ca and still searching for indy. I do not plan on getting this done at the dealership but was curious as to what i would be in for.

thoughts?

Thanks,
Juc
The 20K, 60K, 100K and 140K (km) are all minor services.

The 40K, 80K, 120K and 160K (km) are all MAJOR services.

My info the 90K Mile (140K km) service consists of a spark plug change (only if the car *not* equipped with converters); cabin air filter replacement.

Now depending upon how the car has been serviced the plugs could need to be changed, the belt could need to be changed. A belt if it showing signs of distress needs to be changed regardless of the miles on the car or the miles since the last service.

However, if the belt is showing signs of distresst that suggest another problem this underlying problem needs to be found out and addressed at the same time.

My info is that additional maintenance at 80K km is the fuel filter needs to be replaced along with the belt. If these were done at the 80K km service they are not due again but if they were not done, they are overdue.

At the 160K km service the manual (or Tip) fluid gets changed along with the Tip fluid filter and the diff in the Tip equipped car gets changed.

If the car has not had it done yet, I'd advise -- but it is up to you -- you have the coolant drained and replaced -- and the transmission/diff fluid drained and replaced.

I'd only replace the water pump if the pump had any play at the pulley or the pmp showed signs of fluid leaking. (My 02 Boxster's water pump showed signs of both and also accounted for a serpentine belt wear issue and I have the pump replaced, but the (original) water pump had been in service since the car was new and the car's mileage at the time of the water pump R&R was over 172K miles.)

Also, you want the car inspected for any signs of fluid leaks or CV boot cracking, anything that needs taking care of. One important aspect of a service, any service, is the chance to have the car checked over thoroughly to spot a small problem before it gets to be a large problem.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 07-12-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Changed 'minor' to 'MAJOR'... Sigh.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM
cardsrule
Pro

+1 on the water pump
Old 07-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Juc
Track Day

thanks all. i'll go back through the records and see what was done at 60k, 80k. a lot of work was done prior to me purchasing it last summer.

Juc

Quick Reply: 90,000 mile maintenance?