996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

greeeeat....now I need a windshield :(

Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default greeeeat....now I need a windshield :(

So. Got another rock chip yesterday. It was a big one. This morning, that chip turned into a large crack. So I have 2 chips and a crack. It's time to replace.

Speedy quotes me $1600 installed.

Local shop quotes me $1085. However, she's not 100% sure on the exact windshield. Asked me if I have a blue strip along the top(?) um, no. Do I have the radio antenna embedded in the windshield? I don't think so...

The dealer says they need to order the part from Porsche Germany...and then they send the car to either Speedy or another place I didn't quite get the name off. She didn't give me the price, but I'm sure it's high.

I have glass coverage on my insurance, but my deductible is at $2K. (when I bought it, going up to $2K halved my monthly rate...for some reason, when I called them this morning, the difference is $19/mnth now )

So, there goes the X73 I was going to buy this summer. Guess it'll have to wait until next year for that.

On a side note, the car is being dropped off at the dealer for diagnosis of the cold start stumble. Hopefully I'll get a positive answer for that issue.

The joys of Porsche ownership continue

sean
Old 07-11-2011, 04:58 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

safelite
for a 2000 coupe, i got quote :
Web-Only Price: $778.95
(includes labor, before tax and service fee(s))
View Detail
Promo or coupon code?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

I broke mine right after I bought the car. I did hunt around but found out that no matter who did the install the glass had to come from Porsche. The glass was $712 then also have to replace one of the moldings for another $68. If you have a rain sensor might as well get that gel pack also. I didn't go through insurance and cost me around $1100. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The last thing you want is some safelite hackjob that has zero experience with a Porsche. Call your local dealer and find out who they use and more importantly trust. The job should be about $1K. The glass is just under $700 and the labor and materials (and tax) should be about $300. I just had mine replaced about 1 month ago so the pricing is current.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

i just went thru this. Get it done at your Dealer. Factory Glass is $800ish use your PCA Membership and get 10% Off... this is what i did. Had teh guy who works for the Dealer install mine at my Indy for Half the price

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...indshield.html
Old 07-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
The last thing you want is some safelite hackjob that has zero experience with a Porsche. Call your local dealer and find out who they use and more importantly trust. The job should be about $1K. The glass is just under $700 and the labor and materials (and tax) should be about $300. I just had mine replaced about 1 month ago so the pricing is current.
Most dealers I've checked with and that are willing to share this info with me use Safelite or some other similar business for their glass work. IOWs, the dealer farms this work out.

Some service departments I spoke with admitted this and a few of these even told me which company was used. At least one dealer (the dealer I bought a car from) refused to tell me if it farmed the work out and to which company.

However I had attended a Sat. tech session some months before and besides a paintless dent removal guy there the dealer also had the glass guy there so I had an idea the glass work was farmed out and to which company.

When I needed a new windshield and started calling around it so happened I spoke with the Safetlite office in the area of these dealer (and conveniently located to me as well) and was told by someone there at the glass company that it had one guy at this office that specialized in high end cars and this guy did this Porsche dealer's glass work along with other high end (M-B for instance) dealers in the area.

But if one wants to take the car to a dealer even if it farms the work out that's ok. The glass guy gets a lot of work from dealers and he is driven to do a good job to hold on to this work. In one case I know of the glass guy buys the dealership donuts every week as a 'thank you' for contracting the work out to him. But he does good work even so.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
rpolin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call your insurance company back. Although i have a high deductible on my auto policy as well, like you, i also have glass coverage and glass coverage, at least for my policy, carries no deductible with it. It's at least worth a call back to your insurance company to make sure they didn't misunderstand your question. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

My insurance is set up the same way - zero deductible for glass.

FWIW, I do have the antenna in embedded in my windshield. I thought all 996s did.

I've actually been hoping for a crack so that I could have my windshield replaced! Mine looks like it has been sandblasted!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My insurance is set up the same way - zero deductible for glass.

FWIW, I do have the antenna in embedded in my windshield. I thought all 996s did.

I've actually been hoping for a crack so that I could have my windshield replaced! Mine looks like it has been sandblasted!
At first when I noticed this I thought I had a hairline crack in the windshield. Damn antenna!!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
spender
Pro

Hey Sean - it needs to be said, you deserve a break buddy! Seems like you and the p-car have had a bit of a rough run lately - hope your luck changes!

Anyway, there are no aftermarket windshields for Porsche available in Canada - trust me I looked.

When I had mine replaced last fall, it was like $1,050 (all in) by the glass shop in town known for doing windshields for exotics. They had to order the windshield (Sekurit / St. Gobain) through the Porsche dealer.

I don't know why this is the case that they are so expensive; when I replaced the one in the wife's Volvo XC90, it was less than half the price (for a windshield that is probably double the size, and is also made by Sekurit)...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I would trust the average safelite guy that installs windshields everyday over the dealer that rarely installs windshields. This is like asking your physician to do your dental work.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I would think that a dealer would do it at their body shop, where they probably do plenty of windshields...
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would guess the average safelite dealer in my area replaces 3-4 windshields/day. I doubt the dealer in my area sells 3-4 Porsches/day. I have used safelite on a number of vehicles and have been extremely happy with their service. My point is that replacing a windshield in a Porsche is not any harder than replacing one in a Ford for someone who is skilled at replacing windshields. I am sure my opinion is skewed because I also believe that I can change the oil in my Porsche just as well as the dealer can.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:15 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Safelite replaced my Porsche's window earlier this year (and MB E350) and they did a very good job on both.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
larry47us
Pro

The thing to keep in mind with insurance replacement of a windshield is that this is covered by the comprehensive portion of your auto policy - not your collision. When you took out your insurance, you had to specify a deductible for both collision and for comprehensive. Comprehensive insurance is dirt cheap.

Also, insurance companies will repair a windshield that has a chip or a star in it for free. They will pay the $50 to have that repaired, rather than let you drive it around and have the chip/star turn into a large crack, which cannot be fixed. It must be replaced. In that case, you lose, because you have to pay for your deductible, and the insurance company loses, because they need to buy you a new windshield.

I have a $500 collision deductible on my 996TT, and a $100 comprehensive deductible. My comprehensive insurance costs me $48.04 every six months. My collision costs $250.

Call them back and make sure that they quote you the repair cost and deductible under the right part of your insurance.

larry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: greeeeat....now I need a windshield :(